• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Movie Watching, Do You Become A Part?

Peace

V.I.P Member
I have always noticed, as has everyone around me, that when I watch a movie, I egt so into it that I become part of it. I often times take on a character from the movie. I feel so deeply for one that I take on their role and their feelings. Other times, I take on the mood of the film. Happy, sad, rebellious or whatever else. I don't notice it until someone points it out to me.
I greatly dislike sad movies, horror (unless they are the old black and white ones like Lon Cheney and Bella Lagossi), and movies about animals. I absolutely cannot watch high action movies. I become over stimulated and shake terribly for hours afterward.
It takes me form one to several hours to recover from this, and until I do, I cannot function.
Anyone else have this affliction?

I tend to have the opposite. I cannot get into something at all.

My mind keeps telling me "it's a movie". In a way it probably takes away some excitement. But it also makes me detached enough to watch the really violent and gory stuff since I know it's a movie and my interest might deal more with how they depict the storytelling rather than get actual emotional involvement.

That said, as a visual experience I do like the stuff that's fast paced with lots of action or really gory. Though it's not that those are the only movies I watch; I have my calm moments, lol

I become so involved that it takes a long time for me to come back to reality. Not so much watching a DVD in my own home, probably because I'm more aware of my surroundings than in the darkness of a cinema.

I have always noticed, as has everyone around me, that when I watch a movie, I egt so into it that I become part of it. I often times take on a character from the movie. I feel so deeply for one that I take on their role and their feelings. Other times, I take on the mood of the film. Happy, sad, rebellious or whatever else. I don't notice it until someone points it out to me.
I greatly dislike sad movies, horror (unless they are the old black and white ones like Lon Cheney and Bella Lagossi), and movies about animals. I absolutely cannot watch high action movies. I become over stimulated and shake terribly for hours afterward.
It takes me form one to several hours to recover from this, and until I do, I cannot function.
Anyone else have this affliction?

I am just like this! So much that it can take me HOURS just to decide which film I am going watch. If I am already in a sad mood I have a hard time watching certain films, If I have anxiety I avoid horror, romance is almost always avoided due to my personal life being so difficult, etc...
My favorite films are often dramas (in a broad sense) where the characters are complex and multidimensional. I think this relates to having AS because I myself am quite the opposite. I find characters from highly dramatic films intriguing and it helps me to break down the complex emotions and behaviors of neurotypicals.

Some of my favorite films are The Tree of Life (this one especially because they talk so little an all emotional is shown physically), There Will Be Blood, The Master, Boogie Nights, La Strada, City of Lost Children, Amalie, Delicatessen, Brazil, Apocalypse Now, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Daisies, Rosemary's Baby, Man on The Moon, Annie Hall, The Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fargo, Amadeus, The Graduate, Being John Malkovich, Citizen Kane, Taxi Driver, Beasts of The Southern Wild, and Gummo.

Oh yes, to the point where my husband keeps saying "but it's only a movie" and "they are just acting", as I volubly rant against the villain, choke on tears, hide behind a pillow . . .

I react to embarrassing situations both in books and movies, lets say if the main character is lying and you know they'll get discovered, I cannot take it. There is a book I hate, The Unconsoled by Kazuro Ishiguro. The main character seems to be completely incapable of managing time and keeps ending up in wrong places and missing meetings, finally I was so distressed I had to stop reading it.
I don't like horror movies, I will generally close my eyes if it gets too creepy. I cry when I read sad passages in a book or watch a sad movie.

I like movies that are visually interesting, I loved Hero for this reason, such an interesting way to use color in a story, I liked Black Swan a lot as well, and Moulin Rouge. I think I generally prefer books.

New Threads

Top Bottom