• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Most Aspie-friendly places to visit or live?

We found Washington DC to be very Aspies friendly. The Metro is well labeled, and both dd and dh spent many busy happy hours reading the train schedules to find our way around the city and planning our days. The Capital itself is well labeled and there are lots of fun things to do that appeal. Air and Space Museum, (my dh and dd's favorite) The Capital Building, Library of Congress (with an exhibit of Maps through the Ages when we were there last, I had to almost drag my family out after several hours) American History and Natural History Museums and lots of room to walk around the Mall even when there are a lot of people. My dd and dh also found that having a walk and having a lot to do outside between museum buildings was helpful for being overstimulated.

I could see us living there, if circumstances changed. Driving is a bit frustrating in the Capital, but the Metro is so great to use, there's really no reason to drive unless you are going out of the city.

There's beautiful country right outside the city and it's easy to get to.

I could happily live there and dh and dd would happily live there, as well.

I'm the mom of an Aspies daughter and the wife of an Aspies man.

I spent several years in Athens, GA, US, home to a large university, and found it to be a the most hospitable environment I have lived in so far. Unfortunately, I now live in a small town in which I stand out as positively peculiar. Were it not for the fact that I teach in a nearby university and have a private therapy practice, it would be almost unbearable.

I grew up in Michigan. It's not friendly at all, much less so for aspies. My limited travels tell me that the whole midwest is like that, though.

When I got older I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area and lived there for 15 years. It was great! I never had a problem finding a job and got along with just about everyone I met. There are so many normal people with bizarre attention seeking behaviors there that aspies can go pretty much unnoticed. I was practically invisible when I wanted/needed to be and I loved it. Unfortunately, it seems like the price of living there goes up by the hour.

The rules:
- Not complete social isolation. Not healthy.
- Non confrontational shopping. No tipping, bartering, pushing through crowds. Pay and receive.
- Relaxed, low judgemental society. Religion, sexuality, sense of style... no hard rules.

How is Japan for people with Autism?

I traveled there, and found it absolutely confusing. People tend to be indirect, and the nuances of social rules appear to be far more complex than in European-based cultures (including the US/Canada). I would only go back if I had someone with me who could help me navigate the culture. Other than the communication difficulties, it is a fascinating place.

I live in Taiwan and, as far as Aspergers goes, I don't know if I would recommend it as the best place. That being said, I am personally planning on living here for many years to come. Here are the positive and negative aspects.

Cons:
Lots of Noise pollution (fireworks, bells, parades)
Air pollution (but not as bad as china)
City are densely populated
Traffic is fast-paced, unpredictable, and mostly made up of motorbikes.
The most popular attractions are loud and crowded (clubs,bars, KTV, etc.)

Pros:
Extremely kind people and low crime rate
Social faux paux are blamed on "foreignness" and not "weirdness"
It's possible to living in very remote areas (Good for loners)
Cost of living is cheap and teaching jobs are easy to find.
Many parts are breathtakingly beautiful (mountains, beaches, hot springs, wildlife, architecture, etc.)
One of the best healthcare systems in the world.

I love Taiwan. I couldn't believe how friendly people were, and I never felt like anybody was treating me badly for being different.

I had difficulty crossing the streets in Taipei, and the air pollution was very difficult in some places, but other than that I really liked it.

for being easy to navigate and, get around for Aspies, Washington DC and the surrounding area, Taipei and, Oslo are among the best in my opinion.

For being good places to live with appropriate services, the UK does trump the USA but, nowhere really offers accessibility to all of the services we might need across the nation and, makes it affordable to everyone that needs the help.

Beyond that, it really depends on the individual and how well that person tolerates certain things. heavy traffic, crowds, isolation, noise, silence, whatever. We are each different so, what envirments appeal most to us is going to be different.

Personally I enjoy a relatively isolated home but, I want to work in the major cities of the world. When I'm performing, I want young, loud, active people and, the more of them, the better. Once I have down time, I want peace and quiet with those closest to me coming over, or me going to visit them. I also want to travel and keep the variety going, just not in loud or very public places.

For being good places to live with appropriate services, the UK does trump the USA
I really have no idea where you got this idea from. The NHS is underfunded so our services are hard to come by and the waiting list is huge. In fact I'm really not sure they actually exist because I've not seen any evidence they do. All I know is that it took months to even process my diagnosis (and months to even get that) - as in months to get put on a waiting list. A waiting list for a waiting list for a waiting list.The UK seems to be a huge waiting list for autism. So I'll gladly from experience tell whoever told you the UK is a good place to live for autism services that they're wrong. Because months after my diagnosis I got a letter to finally say I'm on a long waiting list. And that's all.

But at least all this is free. That's one advantage. If the U.S. is the same but paid (how else could it be worse?) then that makes the UK the lessor of two evils, but there is no way something not amazing can "trump" the US. If it wasn't for the horrible waiting times and being shunted from one person to the next then yes we'd trump the US.

unsurewhattoname At least you have the chance to get some help, or a Dx, even if you are low income. Here, unless you need to be committed or are filthy rich you will struggle to pay for any medical or psychological care. Insurance, yes well mine cost me $512.00 USD per month and, I've still got a $5000.00 USD deductible and, no vision coverage at all.

Here, you've either got to have the income to afford insurance or, dirt poor to get subsidized or free insurance. Too many upper middle class are left without because they do not qualify for government aide but, because of the cost of living here, they cannot afford heath insurance, much less a doctor for any ongoing care they might need.

Just ONE of the three prescriptions I take is 365.00 USD per month if I did not have insurance. At least there, even the middle income people have some hope of getting care, not here.

But I haven't seen any evidence services exist. They very easily couldn't. Because I've literally seen no evidence they do. At least there if you pay you get something.

And prescriptions may or may not cost money here, it depends a lot on different factors.

The U.K. trumps the U.S. overall in healthcare, I can't deny that, but in terms of autism specific it's just waiting around. Anything that isn't an immediate issue is. UK is great if you have a crash or something, will fix you up for free, but if you're not an emergency (as in nobody is going to die) be prepared to wait forever.

We found Washington DC to be very Aspies friendly. The Metro is well labeled, and both dd and dh spent many busy happy hours reading the train schedules to find our way around the city and planning our days. The Capital itself is well labeled and there are lots of fun things to do that appeal. Air and Space Museum, (my dh and dd's favorite) The Capital Building, Library of Congress (with an exhibit of Maps through the Ages when we were there last, I had to almost drag my family out after several hours) American History and Natural History Museums and lots of room to walk around the Mall even when there are a lot of people. My dd and dh also found that having a walk and having a lot to do outside between museum buildings was helpful for being overstimulated.

I could see us living there, if circumstances changed. Driving is a bit frustrating in the Capital, but the Metro is so great to use, there's really no reason to drive unless you are going out of the city.

There's beautiful country right outside the city and it's easy to get to.

I could happily live there and dh and dd would happily live there, as well.

I'm the mom of an Aspies daughter and the wife of an Aspies man.

That is, if you get past the cost of living in the Metro area (which, nowadays, extends up to Gettysburg, PA. You wouldn't believe how much of Adams County, let alone Franklin county, has been developed.

New Threads

Top Bottom