• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

More Severe Storms

Drakanav

Bird Fanatic
More storms are going to happen in Alabama, and I’m getting scared. I feel like nowhere is safe. I want to go to a storm shelter, but my mom and dad won’t let me, and plus, I don’t know if they are open, especially before the storm even begins. We have no basement in our house. Just a small little bathroom. It feels as if the more storms that come through, the worse my fear gets. I know that it’s probably a 1 in 2million chance we’ll get hit by a tornado, but it still don’t alleviate the anxiety. Heck, even stimming don’t do anything.

The only place I got left is my Memas house. She’s got a basement, but I’m still scared of the possibilities of a tornado.

More storms are going to happen in Alabama, and I’m getting scared. I feel like nowhere is safe. I want to go to a storm shelter, but my mom and dad won’t let me, and plus, I don’t know if they are open, especially before the storm even begins. We have no basement in our house. Just a small little bathroom. It feels as if the more storms that come through, the worse my fear gets. I know that it’s probably a 1 in 2million chance we’ll get hit by a tornado, but it still don’t alleviate the anxiety. Heck, even stimming don’t do anything.

The only place I got left is my Memas house. She’s got a basement, but I’m still scared of the possibilities of a tornado.

I hope you can keep calm... I actually love storms until they turn into spinning monsters like tornados and hurricanes... Then I am fully willing to get out of the way, or seek shelter.

Trust your mom and dad... My guess is they wont put themselves in danger or you. As long as you are aware of the movements and intensities, you are already far ahead of most people who pay no attention until its mostly too late.

Maybe you can go to the other house and I hope all is well for you... I wish you could send us the rain... We need it really bad.

@Chance sad to say The weather doesn't do it exactly the way we want it !I don't think it works like that! I prayed for rain a couple of years ago as it got very very hot in the summer and I thought the birds are going to die of thirst, unless we put the Earth back the way it was before we changed it then we will pay the price .
I always remember hearing somebody talking about a prophecy from one of the prophets of the old Testament about the generation we are living in now !talking about the way the land will be !and it said desertification !!!sounded like a bad word.
Felt slightly hopeful watching a wildlife programme about salt marshes in Somerset England ,they had drained them !now theyve allowed part of it to flood again some of the threatened species are breeding again ,so it seems to be let the areas flood that used to .

Living very rural, the increased intensity of wind storms, rainfall patterns & absurd temperature ups & downs in my district are evident. I agree that the wind most of all can sound the most scary but I also find this raw nature quite exhilarating too. I agree with @Chance that being aware of weather forecasts in advance & planning actions to stay safe is the way forward here & it's good to share fears here too.

Hang tight. I live in Huntsville, so I know how you feel. Some areas can get dicier than others, so try not to think about it until there are actual sightings; I've learned that since moving here fifteen years ago. The one thing that is certain is the forecasts are NEVER accurate here and the weather can change in a moment's notice. The key is to be alert, but don't let the fear of the weather rule you; you rule it.

If there is someplace your parents will allow you to go where you will feel more comfortable, then go until this passes . . . and it ALWAYS passes.

I'm going to my Memas house. She has a basement and a huge down slope. She also has a radio that'll alert us.

I agree on the weather not being accurate. Like Friday night, scattered storms were supposed to come through, and nothing happened. Back in December, snow came. James Spann said that we will get only 1/2 inch to 1 inch of snow. Well, we got 4-7 inches. One day the forecast can be stormy, then next thing you know, it's sunshine. Oh wait, now it's gonna rain. Nevermind, just cloudy.

I'll reply back after the storm. I hope you'll be alright.

Well, they're closing all of the local schools at noon tomorrow because of the forecast. I just read that seven counties and nine cities are closing early, as well as several independent/private schools. With any luck they'll close the university early and I'll get a little PTO. For those who don't know, but I (and several others here) are in the orange area.

al_swody2.png

Edit: Nevermind, we’re are in enhanced risk.
I live in Alabaster. In the slight risk, but still close to enhanced.
I really hope you’ll be alright. My Mema has a clock ticking every second. I can also hear a train very loudly. But yet, the house got a basement and a radio in her bedroom for warnings.
We just gotta wait and see what happens. Weather is too unpredictable. I guess that’s the reason why Alabama is voodoo country?
Also, the temperature on Tuesday is dropping down by 20F. That’s crazy.

Last edited:
Hope you guys are OK through the wild weather. We don't have that level of severe storms in the UK just a freak one very seldom. Sounds like you are well prepared. Maybe you could take the battery out of the clock, unless that would inconvenience your Mema? That's a word I ve only heard Sheldon on Big Bang theory say btw! Mema.

At one point I developed a severe anxiety of the type of storms you describe. A phobia really. The only thing that helped me was going on an anti-anxiety medication and that worked pretty well. I don't have those near panic attacks anymore and its quite a relief. I am not sure that is the answer for you, but might be something to discuss with your doctor.

They added a moderate risk up north Alabama.
They said the severe part of the storm enters at 3pm. Now they’re saying 6pm in my area. But it says 8-9pm has 50-60% chance of thunder while everything other time says cloudy. Now I’m wondering if we are gonna get any of the bad weather. I know I need to wait and see what happens, but the anxiety gets worse when the time gets closer.

@Tom
I’m unable to take medication because my mom and dad say there is no reason to take it. I would like to though, as the anxiety is unbearable.

I just finished filing a complaint with the Vice President of Human Resources, as I do not want this to become a regular practice.

Well done. Your exposure to potential catastrophe shouldn't be any greater or lesser than any of your coworkers. No matter how close or far away you live from work.

Someone needs to reevaluate such a precarious employment policy.

Personally & considering the area that I live I really love it when it goes extreme
(deepest darkest wales - prob. diff view if Tornadoes involved :cool:)
Too many hills around here to go driving around once the snow's settled, was nice walking everywhere in the snow.. mainly because everyone out that you'd have met would always smile & say hello.
(no matter the time of night)

For the future though who knows, it's been said that the Atlantic Gulf stream is heading south so its warm waters will soon no longer warm the shores or air of the UK & Ireland.. & what was that stuff about pole reversal?

Any way a good site to look at the weather or waves heights at sea or if you like to look at where the wind is blowing have a look at the following beautifully animated weather map site that works a lot like google maps for zooming around.

Weather Forecast Maps

It has passed. I didn’t hear any thunder. Literally in the afternoon, there was sunshine and barely any clouds. It was like no storm was coming at all. I was lucky, but what happened in Jacksonville and also what happened in other areas. And the hail damage was absolutely horrific. I don’t think there was any fatalities, as far as they stated.

Glad you're both ok it sounds like it missed you that's great.:p although scary!

@Tom
I’m unable to take medication because my mom and dad say there is no reason to take it. I would like to though, as the anxiety is unbearable.

Soon if not already you will be able to make your own medical decisions. That is something to ask the doctor. It doesn't require a shrink BTW. A family doctor can prescribe for anxiety. In the mean time try not to dwell on the weather. Distract yourself as much as possible.

Remain calm.. but maybe its time for your familyto move to NY. We dont have these problems.

Only last summer for the first time I noticed a car in my grocer store's parking lot. It was absolutely pummeled with quarter-sized or larger hailstone indentations all over the car's body.

Stuff up to now I have only seen in pictures!

And we've been given flash flood alerts all across our county for tomorrow and Saturday. Luckily I suspect the temperature will be high enough to avoid that kind of hail, but ya never know. :eek:

Just glad I don't live near the river.

Only last summer for the first time I noticed a car in my grocer store's parking lot. It was absolutely pummeled with quarter-sized or larger hailstone indentations all over the car's body.

Stuff up to now I have only seen in pictures!

And we've been given flash flood alerts all across our county for tomorrow and Saturday. Luckily I suspect the temperature will be high enough to avoid that kind of hail, but ya never know. :eek:

Just glad I don't live near the river.
me being what I am can you tell me very simply what is the difference between a flash flood and a flood

me being what I am can you tell me very simply what is the difference between a flash flood and a flood

That's actually a good question. Flash foods are fairly common in the desert. Something I never experienced before prior to moving to Nevada.

Mostly the common denominator is simply time itself. The amount of water that comes down over a very short duration of time as opposed to a longer duration of both time and rain that eventually causes rivers to crest.

When freakish amounts of rain come down causing more unexpected happenings. Like so much rain pouring down in select locations suddenly causing mudslides and even more flooding. Something I must deal with right outside where I live as opposed to worrying about the river cresting miles away.

The really creepy part is that with the potential of flash floods, one has to sometimes learn about it after the fact. Otherwise you can't necessarily see ahead of time where it may happen and cause the most damage. There are places downtown where you'd never believe it could happen until it actually does. :eek:

Last edited:
That's actually a good question. Flash foods are fairly common in the desert. Something I never experienced before prior to moving to Nevada.

Mostly the common denominator is simply time itself. The amount of water that comes down over a very short duration of time as opposed to the long duration of rain that eventually causes rivers to crest.

When freakish amounts of rain come down causing more unexpected happenings. Like so much rain pouring down in select locations suddenly causing mudslides and even more flooding. Something I must deal with right outside where I live as opposed to worrying about the river cresting miles away.
hopefully I've understood you, I think I got they are much faster! I think i'm regressing in my comprehension .

hopefully I've understood you, I think I got they are much faster! I think i'm regressing in my comprehension .

It's more difficult to understand given how unpredictable flash flooding can be. Sometimes the authorities can and will warn people of specific locations prone to such flooding.

Other times it can be quite nasty given it just happens suddenly and that's that. And that just because it happens in one place isn't a guarantee that it will occur again in an alike manner.

I'm just grateful to live on a second story and a terraced incline. So whatever water comes my way drains elsewhere. But the person living under my apt unit has some serious conditions to contend with in such circumstances.

New Threads

Top Bottom