• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Military

I was in the U.S. Navy (many years ago, without any understanding of my Aspergers).

I believe the Navy (as it was then) was no place for an Aspie. I agree with Nitro's first comment.

If
  • you have sound issues (think drill instructors screaming and PA systems, klaxons, and alarms of various sorts blaring), or
  • you're a thinky kind of person (you like to understand why, or at least, precisely what, you're required to do), or
  • you get confused trying to interpret body language (the screaming drill instructor again, or the sarcastic senior-ranking person), or
  • you dislike arbitrary standards (just how shiny should shoes be?), or
  • you need privacy or a few minutes to collect your self once in a while
then please, find another way.

If the service denies admittance to Aspies or Auties, they do so because they know by experience that it just doesn't work out.

I agree with all this. If you can't think on your feet and that pressure makes you panic, it's not a nice fit. Years before I found out I was an aspie, I went through 2 years of Air Force ROTC. It was one of the worst 2 years of my life. I felt like an alien and froze up every time I had to lead anything. This led to being yelled at all the time and not quite knowing why I was being yelled at. A lot of it was learning by observation and some arbitrary rules, so it was just so confusing. The only thing I'm thankful for that program for is meeting my husband who was a great fit for the military.

in the 80s when I joined the army, autism was a disqualifier but waivers were permitted if a certification came from a civilian psychiatrist, who certified that in his best professional opinion the potential aspie recruit could bear the military challenges. I imagine not much as changed in that regard.
this said, this aspie had absolutely NO BUSINESS in any army, it was beyond being a strange man in a strange land, I was just not in an appropriate environment for somebody with my brain type. in retrospect, I recognize that I was surrounded with other aspies even though general knowledge of the syndrome was not widely known on this side of the pond. most of my supervisors were aspie, and VERY picayune about slavish devotion to rules often to the detriment of everything else.

Last edited:
can I be navy if I have Autism?
I have talked to every branch of the military and told them i have mild autism - aspergers and add. And they told me you could try but the chances are they would most likely give you a medical discharge because of your autism or there would be certain things they wouldnt allow me to do because of my autism.

I enlisted back before any even heard of Asperger's in North America. I seved for 10 years, and feel proud of my accomplishements, but I had a mental collapse and left. Now with the diagnosis, I know it was the long days and lack of quiet alone time that took it's toll.

I miss it though. I fit in well, was bright and performed well, was accepted by other despite my peculiarities, and it was a tremendous personal growth period.

If it wasn't for the emotional struggles that wore me down, I would have gone far, I'm sure of it. It felt like a huge falure of my part to not be able to cope and to leave. I would have gotten a medical discharge if I had not chosen to get out before that.

This was the Canadian Forces. I have no idea if they would accept recruits with diagnosed Asperger's though.

For what it's worth, John Elder Robison in one of his books (I think the most recent one) says people with autism often do very well in the military. That's a broad statement but I see how it might be so: order, predictability and so on.

I was in the U.S. Navy many years ago, before diagnosis of course, and had a very hard time at first but eventually when I settled into my ship's routine I kind of liked it. I'd still say though, there are a lot of variables that you can't guard against. I was lucky in where I ended up, but in a different command it might have been awful.

I don't know about if you're already diagnosed with Autism. I have Asperger's although I haven't gotten it diagnosed yet...cuz that requires going out and talking personally about important things with important people and who wants to do that?! Anyway, I was in the Navy for 8yrs. There were definitely times when it was an amazing experience I would never take back, but the bad moments doubled the amazing moments and overshadow the overall memory of all those years. Maybe you have a different personality than I do, and if so it's possible you could handle the stress and anxiety better than I did. I don't handle confrontation well and have trouble standing up for myself or being outgoing. It's a melting pot of personalities, experiences, cultural backgrounds, values, and everything else. You have to be 110% sure of yourself and your ability to handle stressful circumstances, situations, and people. You have to be confident. I joined right out of HS because I was under the impression that I simply COULD NOT stay home after graduation. My dad wouldn't have kicked me out onto the street, but he made sure I knew I had to go to college. But I was so unsure of myself...I used the Navy and basic training as a crutch to not having to make those decisions by myself, putting off becoming an adult for a little longer. I wasn't ready to be on my own. My dad still doesn't believe I have Asperger's or any type of AUTISM because he only recognizes it as severe and nonverbal with little to no eye-contact. So without the diagnosis, I can't actually tell you what reactions you might get from the military...but I didn't do well in the Navy, so I don't recommend joining the military. ...Although if I went back in time I would join the Marines instead of the Navy. The Navy doesn't have as much strict structure as you would think every branch of the military would have--and that was actually the biggest part of the being in the Navy that disappointed me. The Marine Corps would be a better choice if you are absolutely resolute you want to join the military...and it's still a part of the Department of the Navy, so you'll still get some naval experience. As an individual on the Autism Spectrum, you WILL need as much structure as you can get. That's all the advice I can think of to give you. Just please be absolutely sure before you sign those papers, especially in this time of war.

I was in the Canadian Navy before I had found out about my diagnosis of Aspergers. I do recall having to answer a medical form and I believe it made mention of checking a box if you had it. Although the I have no idea if that would have any bearing on being hired. I found the military to be very challenging but also very rewarding and I think having Aspergers made some aspects of basic training and military life much easier than others. (Example: order and routine) I was very well liked by my superiors as I followed direction and rarely made mistakes. But now that I have a diagnosis I don't believe they would allow me to reapply.

I went as far down the road to enlisting in the US Navy, there was a specific position/training I was looking for. My recruiters ensured me that I would get into that program, and I had tested highly for aptitude. When it came to the point of no turning back, my recruiter told me that he wasn't absolutely positive that I would get into the training I had hoped for, so I just walked out.

Over the years, I'm pretty sure I would have been miserable had I gone down that path.

Do you have an official diagnosis? If not, there is no proof to hold it against you. Don't ask, don't tell.

Good point - there is nothing on paper regarding my diagnosis. I suspected it, ran it by a therapist I was seeing for depression, and he confirmed it after I described my behavior as a child. As an adult, there was little need to have it documented. As a child, it likely would have been helpful, but no such diagnoses existed in those days.

Good point - there is nothing on paper regarding my diagnosis. I suspected it, ran it by a therapist I was seeing for depression, and he confirmed it after I described my behavior as a child. As an adult, there was little need to have it documented. As a child, it likely would have been helpful, but no such diagnoses existed in those days.
I agree,the paperwork isn't really necessary unless you are seeking support.

As an Army vet I will add my voice to those cautioning against military service. For part of my time in I had a very structured work environment and I excelled. But when I moved I found my new work environment to be conpletely unpredictable and hated it. It can be really hit and miss depending on where you get stationed and what you are doing. If you do join I advice doing extensive research on your intended job.

Guess it would depend on how this gift affects you, I was in the TA for 8 years, some aspects i excelled at, ended up more qualified than many of my superiors and long servers, much of it played to my Apsie gifts, on the other hand there were elements that had were not so good, general fitting in with ppl, being the so-called oddball and probably a bit of jealousy due to my passing so many courses. while normally TA is 'X' amount of weekends etc... due to courses I went on, it worked out i worked a good half the year.

Pressure and attitudes did get to me in the end, glad I never went full-time... but that was me, I guess I’m on the mild aspie scale on many things, but my gift has never stopped me running circles around many ppl

don't know what part of the world you in, if this is an avenue you want to try, do as I did, join part-time see how you get on.... easy to get out if not suitable... your best judge of you and your abilities

New Threads

Top Bottom