• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meltdowns/Sensory Overload

BreaksOver

V.I.P Member
I think I experience meltdowns in an unusual way. It wasn't always like this, but it began to happen this way about 6 years ago.

I know it's happening because when I look at food, it's like a switch flipped. I'm already very picky about food, and find it very hard to try new foods and rotate the foods I'm currently eating. Usually, I can stare at the fridge until something looks appetizing. When the switch is flipped, everything looks revolting. I can't even put anything in my mouth. Even water is difficult to swallow, unless it's very hot. I think at that point I've not only become very overwhelmed with the sensory experience that comes with eating, but it's like my hunger cues have reversed. Instead of looking at food and feeling neutral or good about it, it's disgusting. All of it.

Sometimes, I notice the switch as I'm mid-chew. When that happens I will have to spit out the food or I'll gag on it trying to swallow. The mid-chew thing is less of a full blown meltdown and more of a warning. It's like my body is telling me to find a way to regulate my sensory input or I'll be sorry.

When I first noticed this happening, I attributed it to stress/anxiety. At the time that this started, I'd been kicked out of my abusive household and was living with family. Lots of change, lots of trauma to process. And I was 13. Fast forward a few years, and this was still happening. I was finally in a stable living environment and had a set routine. I assumed it was still anxiety and I continued to work on my PTSD, anxiety and trauma in therapy. It was like nothing was working. In fact, things were getting worse. I worried that I'd feel nauseous, so the worry triggered nausea. In turn, that caused more worry...the cycle was vicious. Fast forward a few more years, and I was 18. I continuously got to the point where I'd throw up from the very fear of throwing up! At 19, I finally realized that it was maybe not normal to feel this way all the time. I started EMDR to work on the fear. Let me just say that EMDR feels almost like magic. It was extremely effective and I no longer have such a debilitating fear. It's still there, but it's at a healthier level that I can manage a lot better. But once the fear of nausea had been dealt with, I was still met with the issue. Of course, it's easier to blame an anxiety disorder since it's "irrational" already. I don't think that my reactions are irrational, though. Whenever my body is hypersensitive to food, it's telling me that it's overwhelmed.

After all of this time of wondering what was wrong with me and why nothing was working, I've come to the conclusion that it's my body's reaction to overwhelm. It makes sense when I lose my appetite "at random". Today was one of those "random" moments. I had a lot of unexpected (small) changes happen at the place I volunteer at, I broke my routine after finishing volunteering to stop at the grocery store, I didn't wear my headphones while at the grocery store, and hardly had enough alone time once I got home to recuperate. Through a neurotypical lens, nothing of importance happened today. The changes were small, and all I did was stop at the grocery store. Big deal.

But looking at it from the perspective of being autistic, of course I couldn't enjoy food! I was so overwhelmed with the day that I couldn't handle something as intense as eating. I've made sure to help myself by keeping to myself for the rest of the day and taking the day off tomorrow. I'm hoping this will be enough.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'm curious what others experience when they have a meltdown or are otherwise overstimulated. Does anyone relate to this? Also, what do you do to cope? How do you recharge?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this, @BreaksOver - I've got a husband with occasional meltdowns and a friend recovering from anorexia, so for those situations it helps me put the puzzle pieces together better. You can read all about this stuff in textbooks but those are missing so much, which I am usually able to find when listening to people telling their own stories about these sorts of things. ♥

Thanks for sharing this, @BreaksOver - I've got a husband with occasional meltdowns and a friend recovering from anorexia, so for those situations it helps me put the puzzle pieces together better. You can read all about this stuff in textbooks but those are missing so much, which I am usually able to find when listening to people telling their own stories about these sorts of things. ♥
I totally agree! I find anecdotes to be very important. When I was first reading about autism, I didn't really understand most of the information, like the DSM criteria or articles about general traits. It was much easier to wrap my head around (and relate to) it when I read about lived experiences. I'm glad I could help by sharing some of what I go through.

Yeah, that was a top thing for me for complex PTSD recovery! Other people's stories. The situations, the emotions, linked together in a way only a human story can do it and an objective textbook can't.

Besides, people's experiences and stories like this are so interesting. I kind of see us humans as these disconnected critters with each of us seeing only a part of the picture - and if you can borrow each other's eyes and start seeing other people's lived experiences and their particular perspective on something, and you pool that information together, you can collectively see so much more! :hearteyes:

And that's kind of the opposite of what, for example, academia is doing, where lots of people sit in their little specialty areas with their metaphorical telescopes tunnelling further and further into their microcosms, and not enough putting it all together into a bigger picture...

Welcome by the way! I'm new here too. :)

Also, what do you do to cope? How do you recharge?

It can overload and make it a challenge to reset ourselves when it’s a build up. I think youve made a good decision to reset the way you’ve decided, sometimes we need to do this and there’s nothing wrong with doing so. I get meltdowns. Often when my anxiety overcomes me but it’s also can be other things that whilst minimal at the time can build up. After care is so important but you also need to take small steps to try to recognize what are the triggers in the build up, which is hard to do but I hope you have good support in place to help you work on this.

"The switch flipped" is the perfect description for something else I have experienced, but could not put into words.

I usually don't experience it with food, but with other social situations - sometimes crowds are fine and sometimes "the switch flips" and suddenly I have to get out.

Thanks for that description.

I think I experience meltdowns in an unusual way. It wasn't always like this, but it began to happen this way about 6 years ago.

I know it's happening because when I look at food, it's like a switch flipped. I'm already very picky about food, and find it very hard to try new foods and rotate the foods I'm currently eating. Usually, I can stare at the fridge until something looks appetizing. When the switch is flipped, everything looks revolting. I can't even put anything in my mouth. Even water is difficult to swallow, unless it's very hot. I think at that point I've not only become very overwhelmed with the sensory experience that comes with eating, but it's like my hunger cues have reversed. Instead of looking at food and feeling neutral or good about it, it's disgusting. All of it.

Sometimes, I notice the switch as I'm mid-chew. When that happens I will have to spit out the food or I'll gag on it trying to swallow. The mid-chew thing is less of a full blown meltdown and more of a warning. It's like my body is telling me to find a way to regulate my sensory input or I'll be sorry.

When I first noticed this happening, I attributed it to stress/anxiety. At the time that this started, I'd been kicked out of my abusive household and was living with family. Lots of change, lots of trauma to process. And I was 13. Fast forward a few years, and this was still happening. I was finally in a stable living environment and had a set routine. I assumed it was still anxiety and I continued to work on my PTSD, anxiety and trauma in therapy. It was like nothing was working. In fact, things were getting worse. I worried that I'd feel nauseous, so the worry triggered nausea. In turn, that caused more worry...the cycle was vicious. Fast forward a few more years, and I was 18. I continuously got to the point where I'd throw up from the very fear of throwing up! At 19, I finally realized that it was maybe not normal to feel this way all the time. I started EMDR to work on the fear. Let me just say that EMDR feels almost like magic. It was extremely effective and I no longer have such a debilitating fear. It's still there, but it's at a healthier level that I can manage a lot better. But once the fear of nausea had been dealt with, I was still met with the issue. Of course, it's easier to blame an anxiety disorder since it's "irrational" already. I don't think that my reactions are irrational, though. Whenever my body is hypersensitive to food, it's telling me that it's overwhelmed.

After all of this time of wondering what was wrong with me and why nothing was working, I've come to the conclusion that it's my body's reaction to overwhelm. It makes sense when I lose my appetite "at random". Today was one of those "random" moments. I had a lot of unexpected (small) changes happen at the place I volunteer at, I broke my routine after finishing volunteering to stop at the grocery store, I didn't wear my headphones while at the grocery store, and hardly had enough alone time once I got home to recuperate. Through a neurotypical lens, nothing of importance happened today. The changes were small, and all I did was stop at the grocery store. Big deal.

But looking at it from the perspective of being autistic, of course I couldn't enjoy food! I was so overwhelmed with the day that I couldn't handle something as intense as eating. I've made sure to help myself by keeping to myself for the rest of the day and taking the day off tomorrow. I'm hoping this will be enough.

Anyway, that's my experience. I'm curious what others experience when they have a meltdown or are otherwise overstimulated. Does anyone relate to this? Also, what do you do to cope? How do you recharge?

I just get very, very tired and the smallest noise drives me up the wall.

New Threads

Top Bottom