• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Medical issues

kurgen

Well i do have a question here.

Do you people have hypersmell or hyperhearing and do you use it sometimes?
And are some of you hyperflexibel with some legimates/body parts?

I am extreme hyperflexibel because of low muscle tone, example; i can twist both of my arms 360 degrees and my head 180 :S without the thelp of my arms or hand to do so.
Sometimes people call me crazy, but i can't help the fact that i can hear or smell more than what other can.

So tell me, do you have the same issues or problems?

I have a better than normal sense of hearing and smell and taste. I remember at sailing camp, the instructors took us one by one to talk to us about how we had done and whether we had passed the course. I could hear them talking from across a park telling one boy he had failed... the other kids were with me too and they asked me what the instructors were saying and I told them. :ph34r:

This is really bizarre. My shoulders and neck are also hyperflexible. I used to be able to reach my right arm around the back of my head and touch the top of my right ear - most people are struggling to touch their chin. I could reach both arms around the back of my head at the same time and link my fingers together in front of my chin. These days I seem to have a lot of problems with my right shoulder, probably due to having such sloppy tendons and ligaments, and I can't do it any more. As far as my neck goes I can slide my head from one shoulder to the other, or stick my head forward like a turtle. I can still do that... although I try not to as it makes me look like a complete freak.

When I was younger I had extremely sensitive hearing, but myself and all of my siblings are becoming hard of hearing as we age (genetic). My sense of taste is sharp, but sense of smell only average I suspect.

I'm not entirely sure whether I'm reassured or disturbed by the fact that just about everything I thought was "me" is actually likely to fall under the umbrella of a broader syndrome, and that many of those features are shared by many others with that syndrome.

I know so many auties and Aspies that are double jointed. They do things with their fingers that I would never have been able to do without breaking my fingers. I'm not sure but I think my bf has that flexibility.

He also noticed that my eyes point in different directions and that my very structure prevents me from having good posture even when I stand up really straight. He also noticed that one of my toes looked like it had been broken. He thought I had broken my toe without realizing it and hadn't gotten any kind of treatment for it.

I dunno about hyper-flexing, though I know I have heightened senses aside from vision, but I do notice things like brightness more than most. I still remember when I suddenly discovered after taking a glass of tap-water how bad my Brita watered tasted when I skipped out on changing it...it was a huge difference. I can hear the bus stopping a block away with the windows closed when there isn't any music playing, and sometimes even when lol. I think the most annoying thing though is when someone shuts a car door hard from behind the house somewhat, or when a sudden gust of wind hits the house, the vibrations it creates coupled with the sound literally feels like the sliding door was shut at the back of the house if I'm not paying attention to it. Oh, and I hate the smell of my own BO after a half day (if that) sometimes, despite the fact that I've gone over 4 days without showering more than once in a month when nothing's going on due to distractions. Meh.

I have a bog standard bone structure. Was always very disappointing when I couldn't show off my gruesome tricks to other kids at primary school. Normal as far as I know in the physical health department. :p

Well i do have a question here.

Do you people have hypersmell or hyperhearing and do you use it sometimes?
And are some of you hyperflexibel with some legimates/body parts?

I am extreme hyperflexibel because of low muscle tone, example; i can twist both of my arms 360 degrees and my head 180 :S without the thelp of my arms or hand to do so.
Sometimes people call me crazy, but i can't help the fact that i can hear or smell more than what other can.

So tell me, do you have the same issues or problems?

I frequently hear loud noises, both low and high frequencies, that "normal" people are totally unaware of. I feel the low noises running through my body. There are some people who, although they can't hear the noises, admit that they can "feel something" when standing near the source of the noise. I "instantly" recognise sounds and seldom react to sudden noises that startle and annoy other people (like infants loud screams, something being dropped with a "crash", etc.). I also have a "very good" sense of smell - like rubbish collection vehicles in summer leaving an "overpowering stench" as they drive through the streets ... but nobody else notices. My peripheral vision is "exceptional" (as my optician recently told me) although my "frontal" eyesight ain't to good (can barely function without glasses). My IQ is "in the top few thousand in the UK" ... though I never established a career. I'm 67 ... and VERY fit. My Aspergers allows me to correctly determine negative influences on my health and take steps to avoid them (like subtly manipulative people!).

New Threads

Top Bottom