• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Measuring Devices

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I always had interest in devices that can measure things. Example, my watts meter for my solar panel to see how my watts and amps was generated for the day. Maybe part of the interest is I have a passion for numbers. I can be entertain watching speeds for my downloads on my computer.

I do enjoy learning about historic measuring devices that was used before computers have existed.

There are people can using measuring everyday without realizing it such as using scale or figuring how long it takes to get somewhere.

Sometimes I can get over carried way measuring stuff but it a passion thing I have.

I love htat stuff, too. If I had a lot of money, wow, I would have them all. I love the ones that measure elctromagnetics and stuff. Very cool. And I am not even a real penguin! :)

I was born and raised in coal country. I live in an old coal company patch mining town where lots of the past still exists. I came across this very sensitive anemometer that was used underground to test the venting airflow and brought it home for $1. It is a work of art and jeweled like a fine watch,encased in a leather carrier.

Taylor Anemometer.JPG

I was born and raised in coal country. I live in an old coal company patch mining town where lots of the past still exists. I came across this very sensitive anemometer that was used underground to test the venting airflow and brought it home for $1. It is a work of art and jeweled like a fine watch,encased in a leather carrier.

View attachment 31298
A dam good deal.

I miss steam train engines.

A dam good deal.

I miss steam train engines.
The vanes on it will move if you breath on them. Ventilation flow is very slight in a mine shaft,but also very necessary to relieve dangerous gas pockets. In the earlier days of mining,the miners carried a canary with them to alert them of the gasses. If the canary died,it was time to exit the area and make it back above ground.

I like old electrical measuring devices. I find a lot of these on the local online auction sites. Nobody wants them, so they always go cheap. If there is any local online auction sites near you, you might check them out. You never know what kind of treasures you might find.

A few months ago, I bought a old Simpson 360 VOM (volt-ohm meter) at the auction. I paid $5.83 for it and it still works. I had one just like it years ago. Like most people, I have been using a digital VOM for years. However, for checking variable resistors or capacitors, I prefer a analog meter. In those applications I can look for a smooth needle sweep. Whereas with a digital meter, the rapidly changing numbers drive me crazy (crazier?).

I like old electrical measuring devices. I find a lot of these on the local online auction sites. Nobody wants them, so they always go cheap. If there is any local online auction sites near you, you might check them out. You never know what kind of treasures you might find.

A few months ago, I bought a old Simpson 360 VOM (volt-ohm meter) at the auction. I paid $5.83 for it and it still works. I had one just like it years ago. Like most people, I have been using a digital VOM for years. However, for checking variable resistors or capacitors, I prefer a analog meter. In those applications I can look for a smooth needle sweep. Whereas with a digital meter, the rapidly changing numbers drive me crazy (crazier?).
We used to have to use a d'Arsonval movement vom to gather ecu fault trouble codes on the early Ford EEC IV engine management systems. You counted the meter swings to translate them to numerical codes gathered from two terminals inside the diagnostic connector. I still have a Thexton diagnostic tool that you could plug directly into the connector that flashed the codes thru a LED that was the hot ticket that saved trashing the delicate vom by dropping it when using it in the shop. I swear I could write a master's degree thesis from what I learned about EEC IV diagnostics when I was younger.

New Threads

Top Bottom