• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Licorice poll!

Licorice?

• Black

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Red

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Jelly beans

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Salted

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Hard

• Soft

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Tea

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I hate all licorice

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
I've never eaten licorice but I'm surprised to hear there's so many varieties of it. I only ever hear people talk about red and black.

I will eat red licorice but cannot stand black in any way, shape or form.
full

Is red licorice even the same stuff...?

Last edited:
Never did like licorice any way, shape or form.
The root sticks look more tolerable since they are the real thing naturally.
Never tried them though.
Raw sugar cane was plentiful in the country and kids liked chewing on it.
Better than candy.

I do not like licorice. I would rather eat the strawberry or rainbow twizzlers. I’ve tried licorice recently because my taste has changed since I tried it. The taste is still the same to me. I didn’t know licorice came in different flavors. People get to have a large variety of flavors to choose from, which is really cool.

I dislike licorice root. I am an herbalist, but it's just disgusting to me.

I really like the florets of the licorice plant. As well as the florets of fennel and anise, plants that are similar to licorice, but more peppery and vibrant.

When it comes to licorice candy, oh my goodness, just hand it over already. I am a great connoisseur of black licorice. Red vines too. I love all things licorice candy. I even like spooonfulls of blackstrap molasses, because that's what black licorice is made from.

Here's a helpful hint. Anemic children can supplement iron with a spoon full of organic, unsulphured blackstrap molasses every morning. It gives energy and vitamins and minerals. Very good source of iron. Think of it as a gummy vite. Kids usually love it. And it's a much, much tastier alternative to eating liver.

If you're out of brown sugar, stir 1 tsp of blackstrap molasses into a cup of white sugar. That's how you make brown sugar.

I used to like it, and its effect on my digestion from time to time, but now, all the quality seems to have vanished.

I like the taste of licorice, the "spicier-the-better". However, the active compounds in licorice, in sufficient amounts, have multiple effects in the body. Notably, it can cause water retention (pseudoaldosteronism) and elevated blood pressure. The other effect is that it has an anti-androgen, pro-estrogen effect. In females, it can have a therapeutic effect in say, polycystic ovary syndrome or in some androgen-stimulated cancers. In males, well, it's likely going to drop your testosterone and increase estrogen. Keep in mind, all things in moderation, but if you have blood pressure issues or you are a male concerned about low testosterone, I'd keep it to a minimum.

I used to like the old fashioned black liquorice when I was a kid. It was different back then somehow, it's not the same any more.

When I was 17 or 18 I really overdid it one night drinking ouzo and I've hated anything liquorice ever since.

I'm not sure if red licorice is even 'real' licorice but it's the only type I actually like. The licorice jellybeans are always my least favorite flavor and I really wish companies would make containers of jellybeans without the licorice ones so I don't have to dread eating them. (Obviously since I don't like black licorice, I don't buy it)

I don't like licorice candy but I do like a little of the flavor of fennel as in Italian sausage. Hot Italian sausage makes the best lasagna, IMHO.

I am perfectly fine with licorice. Tastes great. More filling. Hand it right on over.

@Neonatal RRT I had no idea abut the anti-androgenic effects. I wonder if it could help women with PCOS.

I like black licorice from time to time and I've tried salty licorice which is sold at a local boutique candy store. They have candy from around the world. I then tried their double salty licorice and it was heinous. It wasn't just a salty flavor, it had a strong ammonia component to it. Not pleasant at all.

Interestingly though, I ate some of the regular salty licorice after a hot day of working outside and sweating tons and I thought it tasted good. Any other time and it wasn't my thing.

How very exciting--Thank you!
I don't think I know very much about women's health. My girlfriend is oftentimes sick from having PCOS and the idea of a lower-cost way to help her out and ease the risk of it, that sounds like something she might like. A number of the other listed effects sound like things she struggles with too (low energy, which is possibly diabetes she wonders, but adrenal fatigue hasn't been suggested yet.) She takes birth-control pills instead.

Sounds like something I shall have to bring up to her soon. Perhaps we shall go hunt down an herbalist or something and see what works on her female troubles. This might be exciting for her to have better health now, and in the future, if it works.

How very exciting--Thank you!
I don't think I know very much about women's health. My girlfriend is oftentimes sick from having PCOS and the idea of a lower-cost way to help her out and ease the risk of it, that sounds like something she might like. A number of the other listed effects sound like things she struggles with too (low energy, which is possibly diabetes she wonders, but adrenal fatigue hasn't been suggested yet.) She takes birth-control pills instead.

Sounds like something I shall have to bring up to her soon. Perhaps we shall go hunt down an herbalist or something and see what works on her female troubles. This might be exciting for her to have better health now, and in the future, if it works.
Do some research on PCOS and:
1. Iodine supplementation (low iodine can contribute)
2. Fasting (shrinks cysts on just about everything, as the cysts are often triggered by excess carbohydrates and insulin resistance).
3. Resveratrol
4. Curcumin

I like the taste of licorice, the "spicier-the-better". However, the active compounds in licorice, in sufficient amounts, have multiple effects in the body. Notably, it can cause water retention (pseudoaldosteronism) and elevated blood pressure. The other effect is that it has an anti-androgen, pro-estrogen effect. In females, it can have a therapeutic effect in say, polycystic ovary syndrome or in some androgen-stimulated cancers. In males, well, it's likely going to drop your testosterone and increase estrogen. Keep in mind, all things in moderation, but if you have blood pressure issues or you are a male concerned about low testosterone, I'd keep it to a minimum.
He's right. Licorice root is phytoestrogenic. And too much estrogen for a man or woman, can be a bad thing. It can lead to the dreaded "estrogen dominance".

However, if used sporadically, it is absolutely harmless, and one of the finest cough remedies. Very soothing for children with harsh bronchitis like coughs.

Last edited:
I like a lot of foods with chewy but soft textures. But in the case of licorice, only Red Vines.

Don't eat them though with any frequency.

New Threads

Top Bottom