• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

lets recommend albums!!

Off the Ride album

This song is off different album, he clearly states you're all different.
The lead singer is autistic.

Last edited:

This a quirky group that l would go see.
I love their song "gay bar", off the same album.

Anything is great, look up her "Zen" song. I love "l hate everybody" song on those bad days. But she uses a few four letter words so l couldn't post them.

Good threat topic!

I'll try to think of some less common ones.

Afro-Harping - Wikipedia

Dorothy Ashby - Afro-Harping (1968)

Ashby was a great jazz harpist and this is a fusion album she did. She's not as well known, but I enjoy this as much as some of what Herbie Hancock and Miles Davis were doing at this time.

Bbngiv.png

BadBadNot Good - IV (2016)

This is a mix of jazz and hip hop with some vocal tracks. It would make good film music.

LoveYouCover.jpg

The Beach Boys Love You (1977)

This started as a Brian Wilson solo album and he plays most of the instruments. It's largely synthesizer, but before "synth-pop." Some of the lyrics are a little creepy (mentioning young women), but most of it is funny and touching. My favorite song is "Johnny Carson."

Rei Momo.jpg

David Byrne - Rei Momo (1989)

David Byrne tries different forms of Latin music. Very satisfying and a fun follow-up to the last Talking Heads album.

Last edited:

The Afghan Whigs - Congregation

One of the best albums of the '90s.

I used to be a massive fan of Gentlemen.

Gentlemen.jpg

Honestly, I'd be afraid to listen to it at times. It's a pretty bleak record. 1965 is good, too, especially this track:

Trivia: I don't know if you know this, but Congregtation was only finished and released because Nirvana's Nevermind was such a huge hit. Sub Pop got money from Nirvana's Geffen albums, and were in massive debt before Nirvana got huge.

I don't know if I can truly "recommend" an album, because taste in music is a very individual thing. What I like, someone else might not care for - or vice versa. Even if you like the same music someone else likes, you might think there are better things out there. (I've already seen some recommendations for albums by a couple of my favorite artists, and while I do like the songs on these albums, my favorite albums by these artists are different ones.) So I'll just give my favorite albums by a few of my favorite groups (with songs people here may not be familiar with), and you can decide for yourself.

I like the "Gettin' Ready" album by The Temptations best. It includes the singles "Get Ready" and "Ain't Too Proud To Beg," and I think practically all the other songs on the album are good, too; including this one that featured Diana Ross and The Supremes on background (uncredited).

The "Four in Blue" album by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles may not be a very well known one. No singles were released from it. But there are a lot of good solid songs on it (I like The Miracles' later work best.)

On the "A B C" album by The Jackson 5, all the things that made them the success they were are at their peak: Great vocals, first rate instrumentation, witty songwriting. It includes the singles "A B C," "The Love You Save," "I Found That Girl," and "Don't Know Why I Love You." Lots of other first rate songs as well.

Great post, @NDR2. As a Motown fan, I love almost anything by Holland-Dozier-Holland (Supremes, Four Tops, etc.). Not to mention Stevie Wonder's brilliant 70s albums.

Here's one H-D-H made after leaving Motown:

For any 60s pop fans:

The Genuine Imitation Life Gazette.png

Genuine Imitation Life Gazette - The Four Seasons

This is a pop album making fun of the Hippies and mainstream culture. The original record came with a newspaper insert with cartoons mocking The Beatles and their relationship to the Maharishi. One song even borrows the end of "Hey Jude," as a parody. It's kind of like if Frank Zappa produced a Four Seasons album. There's even a song about divorced parents, which is pretty unusual for that time. The album was also cowritten with Jake Holmes, the folks singer who actually wrote "Dazed and Confused" (of Led Zeppelin fame).

Not to mention Stevie Wonder's brilliant 70s albums.
I saw a beautiful interview with Stevie Wonder once, by an Aussie journalist Mike Walsh. Mike Walsh asked him what it was like growing up blind and he replied "It's not so bad, at least I wasn't born black.".

One of the few times we saw Mike Walsh not able to respond. :)

-----

To listen to an album, as opposed to listening to a few songs, here's one of my favourites:

New Threads

Top Bottom