• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Languages!

I think I must have a knack for languages, as I am the only person I know who didn't struggle with the odd prose and made-up language when I read A Clockwork Orange.

My French would be fluent if only I started practicing it again. I'm thinking about starting a French club, or at least meeting regularly with an acquaintance who is a French teacher.

A little German, and I love lexicography so I know bits of base langs by heart, also I am at about an ASL fluency of a 6 year old. Oh and English obviously

I love languages but am sadly too busy to really put as much time into them as I would like to. I speak some Japanese (the only one I get to use often), I used to read German but I'm way out of practice, and I *would* learn Persian if I had time. I studied it for about a month in the summer and it's awesome. :D

I know English and ASL. I'd like to learn Spanish, as there are quite a few Spanish speakers in my area, but I struggle enough with English that some days I'm not so sure I can handle it.

I can learn languages fairly easily and have had huge obsessions with languages in the past, and the countries in which they are spoken, which I often take to extremes, even leaving everything behind and going to work in the country which I was obsessed with. These obsessions often start with music, another of my special interests, as I discover a new band from another country and want to learn the language of the country so I can understand the lyrics. My most recent one was Romanian because I heard the music of the prog folk rock band Phoenix, and that was it, I wanted to know everything about Romania and learn the language, and even took up an EFL job there which was a disaster, but that's another story...

The languages I can speak, from fluent to least fluent, are: English (native speaker), Greek, German, Romanian, French, Italian, Spanish, and Polish. I can read Russian, but I only know a few words. Oh, I should add, since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, a smattering of Geordie, really I should be a native speaker of this language since I'm from this region of the UK but somehow I never really picked it up, probably just as well.

From fluent to least fluent: English, Swiss, German, French, Portuguese, Italian, Latin, Spanish, Inuktitut, Welsh and Norse.
English, Swiss and German are at native speaker level (fully fluent) the rest are either being learnt or ones I have learnt in the past and have not had anyone around me to practise them enough to still know them as well as I used to.

My "birth" language is English, I take Latin, I'm working on German, and in a few years I am planning on taking Arabic

I speak Russian (native language), English and Italian. I'm planning to learn Japanese and German.

Aaaand I would like to learn also Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish and Norwegian), at least one of them. It won't be easy as my memory sucks... :sweatsmile:

From fluent to least fluent: English, French, Jamaican Creole, Spanish.

I'd really like to learn Finnish, Korean, and Japanese. I feel like I should really improve my Spanish, though. It is such a vital language for one living in the Americas.

I am a native English speaker but studied German to A level. I speak it fairly well but not fluent.
I can speak bits of Finnish, Russian, Polish, Hindi-Urdu and Arabic.
I can also understand basic BSL but not very good at communicating back!

I am currently learning Urdu but want to learn Arabic once i've accomplished more with Urdu.

New Threads

Top Bottom