• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lack of executive functioning

flynn_gabriel

Thanks to wanderer03, it dawned on me that I lack executive functioning skills. Paying bills, doing laundry, cleaning, even so far as to forget to shower sometimes, putting on deodorant etc. I am very forgetful sometimes. I'm very thankful for my wife for taking care of things for me. We have our problems that's for sure. But ultimately I know she loves me. I think she understands a little better now as I had a severe meltdown while we were fighting. I asked for help, I use weed, pills and alcohol to numb myself. I have been 10 days sober. I have always been forgetful. So I know its not the drugs.

Here's a study on executive functioning in adults with ASD that you might find interesting:
Real-World Executive Functions in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Profiles of Impairment and Associations with Adaptive Functioning and Co-morbid Anxiety and Depression.

Have you considered the possibility that you may also have ADHD? It's an often co-morbid with autism spectrum disorders, which is not surprising since both have been associated with executive dysfunction. The stimulants used to treat ADHD improve executive functioning for those who take them, so that's why I thought I'd ask. In my personal experience I have benefited greatly from ADHD meds (I was diagnosed with ADHD about 3 years prior to my AS diagnosis).

Oh, and you don't "lack" executive functioning. You have still have some of it I'm sure. :)

That's what I was diagnosed with in "92-"93. I suspect tho I was misdiagnosed....... that article is interesting. Thank you for posting it. I mean I can function ok. I just forget to do things. I work for myself, I forget complete days I mean I get stuff done(smaller pile of stuff to take apart- more in the buckets), I drive hundreds of miles at a time sometimes picking stuff up. I don't remember driving them(these aren't straight roads either, there mountain roads...... pulling a 20 foot flatbed trailer sometimes with thousands of pounds of stuff.....)

First picture is a rolled Chevy pick up. Weighed 7000 something pounds. If I could haul it I could have it. After parting it out, I made $1400 off of it. Second picture was 3000+-pounds of office style fluorescent light trays. Made about $500 off if those. Third picture was a 4000 pound cement mixer barrel on the trailer(trailer weighs 2000pounds) and I had 1000 pounds of HMS(Heavy Melt Steel) in the bed. Plus a 7000 pound truck pulling it all(15000 pounds of hot mess rolling down the highway:) drove about 300 miles that day. Made $400.

Attachments

• WIN_20151201_183329.JPG
    WIN_20151201_183329.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 212
  • WIN_20151201_183440.JPG
    WIN_20151201_183440.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 238
  • WIN_20151201_183517.JPG
    WIN_20151201_183517.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 225
Third picture was a 4000 pound cement mixer barrel on the trailer(

That's good to know, the weight of the cement mixer barrel. I've wanted to use one in a sculpture for some time, but would need to know what I'm dealing with for handling and moving it about.

Nice Dodge pick-up, I had a '71 3/4 ton with that same color scheme.

I also have "executive function" challenges. Was diagnosed with ADHD several years prior to being diagnosed ASD. After a lot of talking, my therapist finally convinced me to try some ADD meds, but they only made me feel terrible, with not a whole lot of benefit.

As far as functioning goes, I was always able to pay bills, keep track of my spending/savings, do the normal adult things, but it is a challenge to keep organized, create a system, so I often scramble at the last minute to get things done. I can't plan things out very well and stick to it, I'm really bad with follow through. I'm better at having a loose idea and seeing what happens. This has been tough on my SO, who likes to have long range plans, keep things very organized, and wants me to be accountable. It's a struggle.

I can work out complex mechanical solutions, work out how to fabricate projects with just about any material, but I have to keep within a limited scope, I can't really see the big picture. My workshop is a mess, and my work area at my job is too, though I try to keep it contained for the sake of my co-workers. I can keep things in order if someone else creates the order, but I can't organize things without a great deal of agonizing over where things should go.

thank you! It was a 1990 w250. Lasted over 300k miles. Good truck. (RIP). I'm a dodge guy. Mopar or no car! I've always had dodge trucks. I currently have a 1975 w100(restoring it),a 1976 d300(big work truck) and a 1986 Jeep Comanche(little work truck/ every day driver). The d300 is my heavy hauler. Set up with dual tanks, air bag set up. I can pull any trailer be it 5th wheel, gooseneck, or bumper pull. The Comanche has a bigger gas tank than stock, overload springs and air shocks.

I lack executive functioning too. I have poor hygenie, am disorganizd, and have trouble with emotional regulation.

I also have issues with executive functions, though I appear high-functioning to most people. My main issue is hygiene.

Supposedly my program is to teach how to get better Executive Functioning... But have a question as to why my brother is allowed to live on his own we he is a lot worse?

Yes, executive functioning presents issues for me. I shower/bathe cumpulsively, so that's not an issue, but it took me decades to consistently make brushing my teeth part of my routine. In fact, I'm still kind of working on it.

I frequently misplace things, have trouble filling out forms sometimes, and though I have never had "money trouble" I serously neglect my finances. I also used to have a lot of trouble remembering appointments before I started writing everything down right away.

Executive functioning issues are one of the reasons I have trouble holding onto jobs. I actually have it in writing that I can't seem to retain more than one instruction at a time. Time management is also tricky and I frequently found myself staying late in order to complete what I had planned to do. And the two times I took clients to the bank to change rent payments, I screwed up royally.

I'm not even that good at being unemployed. Keeping track of the paper work proved very confusing for me, and I often forgot I even had to do it. And to think I was supposed to be an advocate for people with developmental disabilities when I can't even effectively advocate for myself. *sigh*

Growing up, I didn't brush my teeth and consequently ended having a mouthful of cavities by the time I was 8 years old. Certain things just didn't occur to me unless someone pointed them out. I didn't start shaving my legs until a boy at school made fun of my hairy legs.
I would forget to eat or stay hydrated. I've had heatstroke three times.
My lack of executive functioning has impacted my parenting somewhat, too. Temperature regulation is tricky for me and it often doesn't occur to me when my kiddo needs a coat or if she's too warm.

Certain things just didn't occur to me unless someone pointed them out. I didn't start shaving my legs until a boy at school made fun of my hairy legs.

It was the same for me.

Yes, executive functioning presents issues for me. I shower/bathe cumpulsively, so that's not an issue, but it took me decades to consistently make brushing my teeth part of my routine. In fact, I'm still kind of working on it.

Remembering to brush my teeth has alwas been difficult. The only way it happens for me is if it is part of my routine. I recently read an article that suggested cleaning teeth before a meal was beneficial and not cleaning that immediately after eating. I've made cleaning my teeth a part of the routine I have for making meals, so I clean them whilst I'm in the kitchen. I also clean them whilst in the shower, which kinda makes sense to my brain, as having a shower is all about making things clean.

I rely heavily on routines.

Lately for some reason certain executive functions are just becoming one big pain in the ass. I do them all, but I find myself wanting to procrastinate on them. Maybe this is just old age. Or just the usual depression. I'm not really not sure.

Lately for some reason certain executive functions are just becoming one big pain in the ass. I do them all, but I find myself wanting to procrastinate on them. Maybe this is just old age. Or just the usual depression. I'm not really not sure.

Procrastination is my worst problem. I know how to do everything that I need to do, I just keep putting things off. I read this post yesterday and was going to reply, but I put it off until today. That is the way it is with me and it gets worse with age because my energy level goes down.

Thanks to wanderer03, it dawned on me that I lack executive functioning skills. Paying bills, doing laundry, cleaning, even so far as to forget to shower sometimes, putting on deodorant etc. I am very forgetful sometimes. I'm very thankful for my wife for taking care of things for me. We have our problems that's for sure. But ultimately I know she loves me. I think she understands a little better now as I had a severe meltdown while we were fighting. I asked for help, I use weed, pills and alcohol to numb myself. I have been 10 days sober. I have always been forgetful. So I know its not the drugs.
Sorry I missed your post and that I'm late to respond. No, it certainly isn't drug-related. It's related to our neurology. I need to set all kinds if alarms reminding me to take my medicine, do laundry, dishes, etc. It's frustrating, and at times, demoralizing.

I often wonder why I struggle with seemingly simple tasks in daily life yet I can do amazingly complex things with computers. The conundrum is not lost on NTs either. They're equally puzzled by it.

New Threads

Top Bottom