• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Katie Hopkins suggests she has autism: 'I probably am on the spectrum'

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

wenn22420637_646x363.jpg

Katie Hopkins appears to have changed her view on children with ADHD, suggesting that she may even be on the autistic spectrum.

The 40-year-old social commentator sparked outrage recently when she appeared to call a young autistic girl a t***.

But mother-of-three Katie admitted her view on the disorder had 'softened' today after hearing from parents of children with ADHD.

While talking about the subject during her LBC Radio show, Katie was contacted by a listener who said he felt Katie may have a form of autism.

wenn22165126%281%29_646x363.jpg

Katie initially continued to blame parents for their childrens' bad behaviour

Surprisingly Katie agreed with him, saying: "I probably am on the spectrum. I did an interview with a journalist the other day, and said, 'Look I'm definitely on the spectrum."

But this didn't stop the Celebrity Big Brother runner-up from insisting that ADHD isn't to blame for bad behaviour in children – bad parents are.

Katie said: "I don't think kids are born naughty. I think some kids are just born with parents."

Despite this view, a call from another parent seemingly changed her mind completely.

wenn22183941_466x466.jpg

A call from a parent seemed to change her view of the disorder

Fellow mother-of-three Lemore called to question why Katie was blaming parents. She said: "Some days are very, very challenging, but they are just normal children and want to be part of normal life, and to say that is just unfair."

Katie replied: "It takes a lot of courage to come on here and tell me I'm wrong. It's easy for me to point the finger."

Following Lemore's call, Katie admitted her opinion of ADHD had 'softened'.

SOURCE: Katie Hopkins suggests she has autism: 'I probably am on the spectrum' | Showbiz News | Closer Online

(My own entry: Personally, I'm a bit reluctant to believe Katie is on the spectrum until she actually gets an 'official' diagnosis. Furthermore, it doesn't excuse the comments she has made previously about Autism.
Certainly hope that this 'softened' opinion leads to an apology to both the Autism/Asperger and ADD/ADHD communities - which she has previous refused to apologise to for her comments).

(My own entry: Personally, I'm a bit reluctant to believe Katie is on the spectrum until she actually gets an 'official' diagnosis. Furthermore, it doesn't excuse the comments she has made previously about Autism.
Certainly hope that this 'softened' opinion leads to an apology to both the Autism/Asperger and ADD/ADHD communities - which she has previous refused to apologise to for her comments).

I completely agree with you.

My hope is that this indicates a true shift in her opinions about ASD and the whole thing isn't just a publicity stunt. Only time will tell.

Why do these ridiculous, odd little plastic people's opinions count for anything??? I mean why on earth has she got a show at all??? Who really cares about her social commentary and ideas? I would really like to hear some social commentary from a professor who has dedicated their life toward furthering their understanding of social issues, it would be very interesting and insightful. It seems like the world is getting less intelligent by the day, I mean people get outraged by the intentionally inflammatory comments of someone seeking attention, when, just look around, there are many, many things that really demand outrage that seem to slip under the radar.

Last edited:
Now this really is a case of someone trying to jump on the bandwagon!

Being autistic is different from just being a brainless bimbo with less intellect than a rock. Clearly Katie falls into the latter category ! :)

On the other hand, we've all made comments that have offended people, either because of poor social skills or lack of comprehension over the feelings of others. It doesn't excuse us either, but we expect people to meet us halfway in understanding when we make a social hiccup so to speak.

On the other hand, we've all made comments that have offended people, either because of poor social skills or lack of comprehension over the feelings of others. It doesn't excuse us either, but we expect people to meet us halfway in understanding when we make a social hiccup so to speak.

With all due respect, this is the woman who has attacked the autism and add communities a few times with remarks that are certainly not easy to forget and that I certainly wouldn't class as been 'social hiccups':
  • She used autism as a way to insult former Labour leader Ed Milliband, before blocking an autism campaigner on Twitter when told to apologize - as well as ignoring the words of Stephen Hawking's daughter (who herself is the mother of an Autistic child) and a petition signed by thousands of people telling The Sun newspaper (which she works for) to fire her for her comments.
  • She has compared those with ADD/ADHD as been "gits that need a good telling off", as well as stating that she doesn't believe in ADD/ADHD and that if her kids were like that, she would kill them.
  • Most recently, she compared a nine-year old girl with Autism and Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) as been "a pig" and "a t**t". Furthermore, she's refused to apologize at all to her remarks, going as far as to state "I never apologize for anything that I say".
Outside of our communities, she has attacked various individuals and groups of people for different reasons - such as comparing migrants to "cockroaches", celebrating when some people died in a helicopter crash in Glasgow and even saying that people with dementia should be euthanized because they've "got no life" and that they're "blocking beds". At the same time, she expects sympathy because of claiming that her Epilepsy will eventually kill her - although few people do offer her sympathy for this.

I understand people on the spectrum can do and say things to harm others - intentionally and unintentionally - but what Katie is saying and has said really 'takes the biscuit', so to speak.
As I say, until she actually gets an official diagnosis that she's Autistic I'm reluctant to believe she's on the spectrum at all.
Agreeing with both Jeffmoz and Aspergirl4hire, it seems like she's either jumping on the bandwagon and/or running for cover.

Ohhh, okay, so this was all just a case of the buff football player bloodying and tormenting all the "gay" kids because he didn't want to come out of the closet himself? Screw you, ya ugly old hag. I'm more inclined to think you're just wanting more publicity.

No offence but let's not be romantics (treating our autism like a special package). I say; so what, if she's on the spectrum? She says the most vile things about people who cannot defend themselves.

Unless her autism comes with narcissism or psychopathy, she has close no excuses for everything she has sad; and everyone she has (verbally) abused.

It's terrible that such people are given air time. But seriously, I had never even heard of her until the debacle, and frankly don't care about her at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom