• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just need a small area to live in

Pats

V.I.P Member
I never really thought about WHY I never wanted a big house and happier with a small home. My little apartment is perfect for me, but I never use the majority of it even. I like to decorate it and rearrange and reorganize, but I have one little area where I spend 90% of my time and that's at my desk. If I'm doing something that I can move and do anywhere, I'm going to bring it to my desk. I can go get my sewing machine and put it on my desk or near my desk to sew something. I have an exercise bike and I had it in the same room but about 10 feet away from my desk and I didn't like to ride it there. I moved it to my little craft room but didn't like to ride it there. Now I have it next to my desk and I'll ride it. I often will put my VR Oculus on so I can think I'm riding through Utah or somewhere - but I still want to know I'm near MY spot. I can leave this area and go in the kitchen to sook and bring the food back to my desk to eat. So I can leave this area but I don't like to leave it for long..

So is there a name for this? I know the facial blindness is propospagnosia. And there's a name for the loud booming sound inside my head once in a while - what is it - explosive brain syndrome or something along those lines. Anyhow, is there a name for wanting to stay in a small confined area of your home? And does anyone else do this?

I don't know whether or not there is a name yet for being able to enjoy living in a small space, but I would have thought the name for that would be something like simplicity?

I do not want too big of a place either; sometimes I catch myself wishing I had a large old house but that's mostly because I enjoy looking at old houses. For me I would rather have a lot of space to explore, outside.

I like living in little spaces too. Having too much stuff stresses me out as well, as if it doesn't belong to me, and someone else could benefit from it way more than I ever could.

I don't really need much to be happy. A woman once told me, "More room and more stuff just means more to clean". That's not why I like little places, but it's definitely one of the perks of staying humble.

What is Voluntary Simplicity? | The Simplicity Collective

I am much more sensitive to flow of a house. I don't want to have to see around corners, l like open spaces but not overly big. And l hate too many floors of different types. This place has one nice floor running thru and the bedrooms are at opposite ends with their own bathroom, so it has a retreat feel. Then l like beachy costal chic, so relaxing.

Being in a smaller place means you can't accumulate or you are just creating a hazard.

I live in a small box room. I used to live in a small van. Everything is always close to me. But when I was in the van, I used to have to put it in a certain place to feel comfortable. Even just a little bit further forward or on the other side of the road didn’t feel right.

I might sometimes have to park in other places or go to other places and park there, but it was only when I got back to the place I felt most comfortable in did I feel I was home.

I love our big open farm house, could not stand the closeness of everything in the city. But I love the closeness of tiny cars. Absolutely hate my wife escalade, I call it a damn school bus, but I adored my geo metro, my triumph spitfires, and my SA Rx-7; all Absolutely tiny cars.

I used to live in a 1985 Chevy van. I was quite happy in it. That's a smaller space than even just a bedroom. (Probably not as useful for raising a family.) I never had any space issues living in a rented room, either. There's a whole social movement built up around living small.

Maybe the phrase is minimalist lifestyle?

It sounds like that desk is your Happy place? Where uou feel anchored and safe. A secure haven. I have a potential writing room here, but I've so far filled it with stuff, books and boxes etc. I need to empty that nice space. My partner has done similar with their workroom, but is tackling all the boxes now.

My own house is a touch over 900 sq ft., 600 feet would be more like it. But I do like a large property- did not like crowded subdivisions.
My dream is to live in my truck-bed camper, staying two weeks at a time on BLM and USFS lands. Retirement funds would last longer.

My Mercury Capri is a pretty small car. I parked next to a VW bug (1950-1970 model) and the Capri looked much smaller. Small vehicles are much easier to park, and nimbler to avoid road hazards?

I do much better in smaller spaces. Easier to clean. Easier to keep tidy and organized. I have a large number of books, but none of my bookcases are tall. And while the current house is significantly larger than the old house. The current house is not overly large. It is truly a perfect size.

The house I live in is large.
It isn't mine though. I rent two rooms and a bath, so it is like my own little apartment...almost.
I have use of the kitchen when I want and the person who owns it always invites me to watch
a couple of hours of TV in the living room at night with him. He doesn't like watching a movie
or what ever alone. Other than that, I never use the living room, dining room or game room and den.
Then there is the west wing that I never go into. That is where the owner sleeps, has two bathrooms
and walk-in closet. It's all his furniture and stuff on that side of the house.

I feel my bedroom is my safe spot and that's where I can relax, decorate it as I want and watch
tv and listen to music. It has a large window, so I get light and see outside nothing but trees.
The bath is attached via a doorway, nice.
The second room beyond my room and bath is an extra room that was just not being used
so I store stuff in it. It's not fixed up like a room.

So, yes, I like my own small area that I use. Bedroom, bathroom and use of a storage room is nice.
I very seldom venture beyond this area and it can be shut off from the rest of the house by a
sliding wooden door.

If I lived in a large house, I'd actually live in a small part of it. The extra rooms would all be used for specific activities. But it seems that possessions eventually grow to occupy all available space, no matter how much space you have.

New Threads

Top Bottom