• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just got some tests diagnosed with intellectual disability as well as other stuff

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
Hi I just recently got diagnosed with an intellectual disability as well as another diagnosis of autism language disorder dyslexia ADHD and I believe 1 or 2other things

My iq is 68 but my adaptive scores are pretty low so they diagnosed me with moderate to severe intellectual developmental disorder which is intellectual disability as well as moderate autism with intellectual impairment

As well as the other stuff

Now I am all for Nerodiversity but sometimes it makes feel weird and I don’t know how to express it.

Maybe I’ll be able to understand and expess it later.

Hi I just recently got diagnosed with an intellectual disability as well as another diagnosis of autism language disorder dyslexia ADHD and I believe 1 or 2other things

My iq is 68 but my adaptive scores are pretty low so they diagnosed me with moderate to severe intellectual developmental disorder which is intellectual disability as well as moderate autism with intellectual impairment

As well as the other stuff

Now I am all for Nerodiversity but sometimes it makes feel weird and I don’t know how to express it.

Maybe I’ll be able to understand and expess it later.
Their IQ "assessment" is waaaaay off the mark--- if you don't believe me, reread your above post.
Some people don't test well, and for some, a non-verbal IQ test is far more representative--- though for some, they just don't test well period.

This is probably a case of them looking at
"the numbers", and not the person.

Some reported "IQ's" on these forums have me beginning to question more deeply the efficacy of such tests.

Jen - Please don't let some "experts" and their "tests" define who you are or influence what you think about yourself. If you got a second opinion, it would probably be radically different. You're a great person just as you are, regardless of what those "experts" say. I agree with sidd851 that IQ tests are very flawed and do not accurately assess IQ - whatever the heck IQ is even supposed to mean, what it is supposed measure, and how it affects daily life.

Their IQ "assessment" is waaaaay off the mark--- if you don't believe me, reread your above post.
Some people don't test well, and for some, a non-verbal IQ test is far more representative--- though for some, they just don't test well period.

This is probably a case of them looking at
"the numbers", and not the person.

Some reported "IQ's" on these forums have me beginning to question more deeply the efficacy of such tests.

I’m not sure how to really do the testbut I believe my iq normally without the adaptive score being low would be a mild intellectual disability.

The book of my self care skills are low maybe that’s why they lowered the scale as in calling me moderately - severely disabled

Even though I don’t agree with IQ tests to much I’m just saying that this is the clinical way of saying it I guess :/

I believe I just have a impairment in my thinking and talking and things like that however when I get myself to really concentrate and take my time I can do things OK .

I also have difficulty in self-care skills I cannot do anything much on my own at this point I can take a shower get dressed and that’s about it I can feed myself but I can’t really cook and I cannot go by my self at this time but this is not define me

I take longer to communicate and sometimes have a difficult time doing in but when I do you know I understand things pretty much very well .

It takes me a long time to process information but later on I can come up with a brilliant idea .

It all depends on the circumstances In a way.

Academics are also pretty difficult for me I have trouble remembering what I read at all . And besides subtraction addition and some multiplication I don’t really understand it .

But I do have streanths in writing short stories and writing my book and making videos . I also like taking pictures of things like myself and my dolls.
I use technology called speech to text to write my stories.

What I meant by weird is that sometimes I get fusterrated you do it myself trying to talk . And to express my ideas and to your words and sometimes even understanding my thoughts and interpreting them in the words if you know what I mean Oh goodness it hopping now

By the way I am currently trying to apply did this special-needs program in a college called concordia college impact u

I have a tour on the 25th and this test is concerning me a bit.

Even though it is a program for intellectually disabled students as well as autistic students .

I feel like I don’t know ..

And I stayed there is something called the office of people with developmental disabilities or OPWDD

They tend to only give funding or care about people who they interpret as lower functioning or that Who they think and choose need the most help at whatever rate you know what I mean I intend to disregard anyone else.

This IQ test and I should qualify for the service which could help me pay for this college program however that might be funding anyway by a scholarship or grant.

I once applied to this program OPWDD and was denied however I feel like I am in a place where I can use those services and deserve that and those services because of my skills and independence and difficulty with mobility.

But because I seem different from the others autistics and I did not have a diagnosis by a test just by my psychiatrist I didn’t have a chance to get any support or help besides my IEP . And therapists wow I was in the hospitals diagnosed me with various mental illnesses except the physical ones except for the children’s pycial rehabilitation center I was in Who called it psycho somatic authough did agree on my autismlearning problems .

In summer in the way I finally think I figured out the answer to why I’ve been so frustrated lately however it’s an Ummhow do I put this strange and unreal.

I do now I Q is just a number

I’m just feel bit a strange about this.

I also am unsure of what my social worker is going to say.

I’m not sure how to really do the testbut I believe my iq normally without the adaptive score being low would be a mild intellectual disability.

The book of my self care skills are low maybe that’s why they lowered the scale as in calling me moderately - severely disabled

Even though I don’t agree with IQ tests to much I’m just saying that this is the clinical way of saying it I guess :/

I believe I just have a impairment in my thinking and talking and things like that however when I get myself to really concentrate and take my time I can do things OK .

I also have difficulty in self-care skills I cannot do anything much on my own at this point I can take a shower get dressed and that’s about it I can feed myself but I can’t really cook and I cannot go by my self at this time but this is not define me

I take longer to communicate and sometimes have a difficult time doing in but when I do you know I understand things pretty much very well .

It takes me a long time to process information but later on I can come up with a brilliant idea .

Academics are also pretty difficult for me I have trouble remembering what I read at all . And besides subtraction addition and some multiplication I don’t really understand it .

But I do have streanths in writing short stories and writing my book and making videos . I also like taking pictures of things like myself and my dolls.

What I meant by weird is that sometimes I get fusterrated you do it myself trying to talk . And to express my ideas and to your words and sometimes even understanding my thoughts and interpreting them in the words if you know what I mean Oh goodness it hopping now

By the way I am currently trying to apply did this special-needs program in a college called concordia college impact u

Even though it is a program for intellectually disabled students as well as autistic students .

And I stayed there is something called the office of people with developmental disabilities or OPWDD

They tend to only give funding or care about people who they interpret as lower functioning or that Who they think and choose need the most help at whatever rate you know what I mean I intend to disregard anyone else.

This IQ test and I should qualify for the service which could help me pay for this college program however that might be funding anyway by a scholarship or grant.

I once applied to this program OPWDD and was denied however I feel like I am in a place where I can use those services and deserve that and those services because of my skills and independence and difficulty with mobility.

But because I seem different from the others autistics and I did not have a diagnosis by a test just by my psychiatrist I didn’t have a chance to get any support or help besides my IEP . And therapists wow I was in the hospitals diagnosed me with various mental illnesses except the physical ones except for the children’s pycial rehabilitation center I was in Who called it psycho somatic authough did agree on my autismlearning problems .

In summer in the way I finally think I figured out the answer to why I’ve been so frustrated lately however it’s an Ummhow do I put this strange and unreal.

As much as all of this might confuse you, I see a lot of positives in what you posted.

Hopefully the new findings will set the alignment for you to get needed support and placement in the educational system you wish to be a part of.

Like others have already said, the IQ number doesn't mean a whole lot, with quite possibly a lower score could gain you further access to more support.

I think that it's wonderful that in spite of your deficits, you continue to look forward to overcoming them, even if it is only able to be done in small steps.

There is nothing wrong with not retaining 100% of the info you take in. Knowing that going in, use it to your advantage, and compensate for it by taking more notes, recording what audio you can for review on your own time at a pace you get to choose.
Always ask questions, because that is the only way your educators will know that you still may not fully understand the material they have presented.

Remember, if you get overwhelmed, don't give up on the entire journey because you stumbled, take a different path and see where it leads you next.

I wish more had your determination Jen.

You are truly an inspiration to me ;)

my mother had the worst form of Lou Gehrigs disease (A.L.S, motor neurone disease )the nurses had ever seen ,she was paralysed literally from the top of her head to the soles of her feet and she was able to communicate even though she couldn't make a sound that I could understand !any more and she still had a higher IQ than me ,I think a lot of it comes down to how extrovert you are !and autistic people are not extrovert.
people always say I'm very intelligent ,you sound exactly the same ,you can still do more than my mother can do ,so you sound high functioning to me !you're exactly the same as the second before they gave you a label and the second afterwards.
if you don't think the College will help you do what you think is right.

This is why I have decided NOT to take an IQ "test", EVER. People say "you're so smart, what's your IQ?" and it frustrates me to not be able to answer, and then try to explain how an IQ test only measures how well you do on the test. I wish that speech-to-text existed when I was your age, my dyspraxia makes it impossible to touch type, and while I worked around it it drove my teachers nuts, and several times in college I had to pass touch typing classes, which I managed to do, barely. At least today they won't call you an "imbecile" and toss you in an asylum and then charge admission for others to leer at you. I wonder if doctors look at a teenage girl who carries a doll everywhere and then say "well, she's obviously got some screws missing" then fit the "diagnosis" to that idea. At least you can get some actual help that will help you, but you need to distinguish that from instances of "experts" trying to use a sledgehammer to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Thank you everyone your posts are really kind

I am really excited for my Tour of the college and I’m really hoping it goes well .

This is one of the only colleges in my state that does this type of program . And this is the only one near me that does a dorm program.

Hopefully the money will not be an issue either way

Maybe it’s possible I can get the services through the office of people with developmental disabilities as well as going to this program .

I am not sure because again I denied and my social worker said she does not want to help me with that at all and she wouldn’t .

But maybe she will now I’m not sure or maybe someone else will.

One thing ive learnt from reading ALLOT of my own and said NPD diagnosis and this so called IQ tests and that is its WIDELY known fact that for the majority of us we score poorly on this cind of tests so i wouldn't take to mush of that particular test (btw my latest were they also found my ASD i scored 83 - 91 So yeah according to them im on the lower scale of normal :rolleyes: Oh well it is what it is :cool: )

NEVER let ANYONE stop you from what youre trying to do dear just KEEP on fighting for youe goals and someday you will reach them (even with youe disabilities and diagnosis i should ad)

Last edited:
@Jenisautistic, I'm glad if you are now able to access supports that could be helpful to you.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad about having Intellectual Disability or anything else you've been diagnosed with.

I can maybe relate to feeling weird about your new diagnoses....I felt weird after being diagnosed with autism -- overwhelmed; There were a lot of thoughts, feelings, and questions for me to process. I, too, didn't know how others would react and was quite worried about the reactions of certain people.

If your social worker does not support you in seeking support or doesn't support you in pursuing your goals, can you ask for a different one?

Okey so i found some interesting facts here

The category details are as follows:

Mild intellectual disability
  • IQ 50 to 70
  • Slower than typical in all developmental areas
  • No unusual physical characteristics
  • Able to learn practical life skills
  • Attains reading and math skills up to grade levels 3 to 6
  • Able to blend in socially
  • Functions in daily life
About 85 percent of people with intellectual disabilities fall into the mild category and many even achieve academic success. A person who can read, but has difficulty comprehending what he or she reads represents one example of someone with mild intellectual disability.

Moderate intellectual disability
  • IQ 35 to 49
  • Noticeable developmental delays (i.e. speech, motor skills)
  • May have physical signs of impairment (i.e. thick tongue)
  • Can communicate in basic, simple ways
  • Able to learn basic health and safety skills
  • Can complete self-care activities
  • Can travel alone to nearby, familiar places
People with moderate intellectual disability have fair communication skills, but cannot typically communicate on complex levels. They may have difficulty in social situations and problems with social cues and judgment. These people can care for themselves, but might need more instruction and support than the typical person. Many can live in independent situations, but some still need the support of a group home. About 10 percent of those with intellectual disabilities fall into the moderate category.

Severe intellectual disability
  • IQ 20 to 34
  • Considerable delays in development
  • Understands speech, but little ability to communicate
  • Able to learn daily routines
  • May learn very simple self-care
  • Needs direct supervision in social situations
Only about 3 or 4 percent of those diagnosed with intellectual disability fall into the severe category. These people can only communicate on the most basic levels. They cannot perform all self-care activities independently and need daily supervision and support. Most people in this category cannot successfully live an independent life and will need to live in a group home setting.

Profound intellectual disability
  • IQ less than 20
  • Significant developmental delays in all areas
  • Obvious physical and congenital abnormalities
  • Requires close supervision
  • Requires attendant to help in self-care activities
  • May respond to physical and social activities
  • Not capable of independent living
People with profound intellectual disability require round-the-clock support and care. They depend on others for all aspects of day-to-day life and have extremely limited communication ability. Frequently, people in this category have other physical limitations as well. About 1 to 2 percent of people with intellectual disabilities fall into this category.

According to the new DSM-V, though, someone with severe social impairment (so severe they would fall into the moderate category, for example) may be placed in the mild category because they have an IQ of 80 or 85. So the changes in the DSM-V require mental health professionals to assess the level of impairment by weighing the IQ score against the person's ability to perform day-to-day life skills and activities. (Read about the types of intellectual disabilities.)

Link https://www.healthyplace.com/neurodevelop
mental-disorders/intellectual-disability/mild-moderate-severe-intellectual-disability-differences

So if they have diagnosed you with moderate to severe intellectual developmental disorder thats BS what you do have is MILD

Intellectual functioning—also called intelligence—refers to general mental capacity, such as learning, reasoning, problem solving, and so on. One way to measure intellectual functioning is an IQ test. Generally, an IQ test score of around 70 or as high as 75 indicates a limitation in Intellectual functioning

I was reading this carefully, and you basically described common issues with autistics, especially young ones. Takes time to process info, can't make "snap judgments", and stuff like having trouble cooking food and being unable to travel by yourself is called "executive functioning" issues. Also, the childlike interests such as dolls, feeling/acting younger than one's chronological age, is also very common in autism.

I just deleted a big long angry rant about "doctors" who overdiagnose people for selfish reasons. :(:oops: Most people on this forum have been shoved through this meat grinder multiple times. Keep your head up and keep striving. :D

I appreciate you doing research, Here’s where it gets a bit odd I found actually some more information from AAA I DD.org

i’m not sure whether her testing seems like it may be after all I don’t

Either way I’m not gonna let it define who I am . And I’m going to do my darndest not to let it stop me from doing what I want to do.

FAQs on Intellectual Disability

Frequently Asked Questions on Intellectual Disability
  • Home/
  • Intellectual Disability/
  • Definition/

What is intellectual disability?
    Intellectual disability is a disability characterized by significant limitations both in intellectual functioning (reasoning, learning, problem solving) and in adaptive behavior, which covers a range of everyday social and practical skills. This disability originates before the age of 18.

Is intellectual disability the same as mental retardation? Why do some programs and regulations still say mental retardation?
    The term intellectual disability covers the same population of individuals who were diagnosed previously with mental retardation in number, kind, level, type, duration of disability, and the need of people with this disability for individualized services and supports. Furthermore, every individual who is or was eligible for a diagnosis of mental retardation is eligible for a diagnosis of intellectual disability.

While intellectual disability is the preferred term, it takes time for language that is used in legislation, regulation, and even for the names of organizations, to change.

Is intellectual disability the same as developmental disabilities?
    "Developmental Disabilities" is an umbrella term that includes intellectual disability but also includes other disabilities that are apparent during childhood.

Developmental disabilities are severe chronic disabilities that can be cognitive or physical or both. The disabilities appear before the age of 22 and are likely to be lifelong.Some developmental disabilities are largely physical issues, such as cerebral palsy or epilepsy. Some individuals may have a condition that includes a physical and intellectual disability, for example Down syndrome or fetal alcohol syndrome.

Intellectual disability encompasses the “cognitive” part of this definition, that is, a disability that is broadly related to thought processes. Because intellectual and other developmental disabilities often co-occur, intellectual disability professionals often work with people who have both types of disabilities.

Is intellectual disability determined by just an IQ test?
    No. The evaluation and classification intellectual disability is a complex issue. There are three major criteria for intellectual disability: significant limitations in intellectual functioning, significant limitations in adaptive behavior, and onset before the age of 18.

The IQ test is a major tool in measuring intellectual functioning, which is the mental capacity for learning, reasoning, problem solving, and so on. A test score below or around 70—or as high as 75—indicates a limitation in intellectual functioning.

Other tests determine limitations in adaptive behavior, which covers three types of skills:
    • Conceptual skills—language and literacy; money, time, and number concepts; and self-direction
    • Social skills—interpersonal skills, social responsibility, self-esteem, gullibility, naïveté (i.e., wariness), social problem solving, and the ability to follow rules, obey laws, and avoid being victimized
    • Practical skills—activities of daily living (personal care), occupational skills, healthcare, travel/transportation, schedules/routines, safety, use of money, use of the telephone
    AAIDD publishes the most advanced scientific thinking on this matter in the 11th edition of its manual, Intellectual Disability: Definition, Classification, and Systems of Supports. In defining and assessing intellectual disability, AAIDD stresses that, in addtion to an assessement of intellectual functioning and adaptive behavior, professionals must consider such factors as
    • community environment typical of the individual’s peers and culture
    • linguistic diversity
    • cultural differences in the way people communicate, move, and behavior

Okey so i found some interesting facts here

The category details are as follows:

Mild intellectual disability
  • IQ 50 to 70
  • Slower than typical in all developmental areas
  • No unusual physical characteristics
  • Able to learn practical life skills
  • Attains reading and math skills up to grade levels 3 to 6
  • Able to blend in socially
  • Functions in daily life
About 85 percent of people with intellectual disabilities fall into the mild category and many even achieve academic success. A person who can read, but has difficulty comprehending what he or she reads represents one example of someone with mild intellectual disability.

Moderate intellectual disability
  • IQ 35 to 49
  • Noticeable developmental delays (i.e. speech, motor skills)
  • May have physical signs of impairment (i.e. thick tongue)
  • Can communicate in basic, simple ways
  • Able to learn basic health and safety skills
  • Can complete self-care activities
  • Can travel alone to nearby, familiar places
People with moderate intellectual disability have fair communication skills, but cannot typically communicate on complex levels. They may have difficulty in social situations and problems with social cues and judgment. These people can care for themselves, but might need more instruction and support than the typical person. Many can live in independent situations, but some still need the support of a group home. About 10 percent of those with intellectual disabilities fall into the moderate category.

Severe intellectual disability
  • IQ 20 to 34
  • Considerable delays in development
  • Understands speech, but little ability to communicate
  • Able to learn daily routines
  • May learn very simple self-care
  • Needs direct supervision in social situations
Only about 3 or 4 percent of those diagnosed with intellectual disability fall into the severe category. These people can only communicate on the most basic levels. They cannot perform all self-care activities independently and need daily supervision and support. Most people in this category cannot successfully live an independent life and will need to live in a group home setting.

Profound intellectual disability
  • IQ less than 20
  • Significant developmental delays in all areas
  • Obvious physical and congenital abnormalities
  • Requires close supervision
  • Requires attendant to help in self-care activities
  • May respond to physical and social activities
  • Not capable of independent living
People with profound intellectual disability require round-the-clock support and care. They depend on others for all aspects of day-to-day life and have extremely limited communication ability. Frequently, people in this category have other physical limitations as well. About 1 to 2 percent of people with intellectual disabilities fall into this category.

According to the new DSM-V, though, someone with severe social impairment (so severe they would fall into the moderate category, for example) may be placed in the mild category because they have an IQ of 80 or 85. So the changes in the DSM-V require mental health professionals to assess the level of impairment by weighing the IQ score against the person's ability to perform day-to-day life skills and activities. (Read about the types of intellectual disabilities.)

Link https://www.healthyplace.com/neurodevelop
mental-disorders/intellectual-disability/mild-moderate-severe-intellectual-disability-differences

So if they have diagnosed you with moderate to severe intellectual developmental disorder thats BS what you do have is MILD

Intellectual functioning—also called intelligence—refers to general mental capacity, such as learning, reasoning, problem solving, and so on. One way to measure intellectual functioning is an IQ test. Generally, an IQ test score of around 70 or as high as 75 indicates a limitation in Intellectual functioning

Yes well i actually just found this info my self as i started digging on my own scores

STILL i say based on youre obvious skills in here and ability to actually comprehend and also find facts etc.... i STILL HIGHLY question youre given diagnosis of Moderate to severe
intellectual disability dear. If youre this then im not that far ahead of you apparently because i had MANY of youre current problems when younger & then a slight gap until say 10 years ago (that is 37 in my case ) were ALL my diagnosis started to return and multiply and grow in too now deeper levels then ever before.

THIS said if this diagnose helps you get in to were you whant to go then GO for it dear :p

All the best you at this time. Do your research into your disability. Know that you're capable of so much, don't let the disability define you.

I read somewhere that people with ASD tend to perform over 30% differently on IQ like tests where NTs get about the same scores.

The IQ number is the result of one test, on one day, at one time. I don't know my official IQ, but have done various tests online just for fun, and the results can vary quite a lot, because my performance depends on so many factors - did I sleep enough? Did I drink coffee? Am I distracted - how well can I concentrate? Did I eat - am I hungry? Is there a ticking clock on the screen that I keep looking at which is interrupting my train of thought and preventing me from concentrating? Or, if you are in a room at a testing centre, there might be a ticking clock there.

Everyone, regardless of what a number and diagnosis on a piece of paper might say, has strengths and weaknesses. Look at what you can do rather than what you can't, focus on your strengths rather than your weaknesses.

I am new here and don't know you, but you sound a lot like my youngest daughter. She has similar challenges and is autistic (I believe). I get very discouraged with people in general because of the way they tend to value and devalue others. IQ, beauty, popularity, wealth ... WTH?

Why can't we remember Dr. King's dream of having everyone judged by the content of their character. If that is how we valued each other, then you Jen would be very highly valued indeed.

New Threads

Top Bottom