• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Judgement

ADCguy

Hi, i am a 20 y/o with aspergers. Ive always felt disrespected by people because of my asd and as my social skills improve i can see that the feeling was right.

I recently got a job in the care industry looking after disabled people with a range of difficulties. One of the main point that they kept pushing on me is how "people with disabilities are to be treated same as everyone else" which i was personally offended by, that shouldnt be something you push on someone, its should be known by all and shouldnt need to be said.

Since i started my studies in the care industry i realised there are a lot of grey areas in polocies and the law but after witnessing the staff and their behaviours i realised that senior members of staff use these grey areas to make things easier on themselves.

Note : the resident must always come before your own needs.

So what im saying is, its clear to me that even the most caring people and the most understanding of disabilities will dissrespect us.

I have this job not because i know everything about disabilities, but because i know how to treat the residents and it shows in the residents behaviour around me, ive had a lot of people pick up on that. So why do they feel the need to disrespect us so and judge us even though their best member of staff has 3 disabilities.

I figure, if im the broken one then they should be more than capable to treat us the same as i did with residents

Hi, i am a 20 y/o with aspergers. Ive always felt disrespected by people because of my asd and as my social skills improve i can see that the feeling was right.

I recently got a job in the care industry looking after disabled people with a range of difficulties. One of the main point that they kept pushing on me is how "people with disabilities are to be treated same as everyone else" which i was personally offended by, that shouldnt be something you push on someone, its should be known by all and shouldnt need to be said.

Since i started my studies in the care industry i realised there are a lot of grey areas in polocies and the law but after witnessing the staff and their behaviours i realised that senior members of staff use these grey areas to make things easier on themselves.

Note : the resident must always come before your own needs.

So what im saying is, its clear to me that even the most caring people and the most understanding of disabilities will dissrespect us.

I have this job not because i know everything about disabilities, but because i know how to treat the residents and it shows in the residents behaviour around me, ive had a lot of people pick up on that. So why do they feel the need to disrespect us so and judge us even though their best member of staff has 3 disabilities.

I figure, if im the broken one then they should be more than capable to treat us the same as i did with residents

IMO, they shouldn't be in the care industry if they cannot practice an excellent level of understanding, care and compassion.

Sadly, many people take care jobs because its a job, not because that's what they want to do and as far as I'm concerned in healthcare you have to WANT to do it or you will never be good enough for those you claim to care for.

Good on you for caring for those people and making the effort to be a good carer!

IMO, they shouldn't be in the care industry if they cannot practice an excellent level of understanding, care and compassion.

Sadly, many people take care jobs because its a job, not because that's what they want to do and as far as I'm concerned in healthcare you have to WANT to do it or you will never be good enough for those you claim to care for.

Good on you for caring for those people and making the effort to be a good carer!
i couldnt agree more ksheehan88,ive been in the care industry for many years [as a service user] and most of my staff have been terrible and not understood me,they have just tolerated me and judged me on what was written about me in my personal files,care plans etc from years ago.

what is worse;so many of them can barely speak and understand a word of english and have no training in classic autism or learning/intellectual disability or epilepsy-their agencies dont make them take on the training some of them even charge the staff for each course.

however,waffle over-i think its great that a person with aspergers is working in care,some of my favourite support staff had/have aspergers,they are able to relate to my symptoms to a degree and some of my interests to which makes me happy.

It is human nature. We are animals, after all, animals with terribly flawed reason and incomplete threads of logic that burst out now and then. We have a consciousness that is still fighting to update itself from our ancient pasts.

It is the animal kingdom in us. I am sad to say. However, some of us do transcend it when we are well and can.

This posts scares me because we all get there in the end. They will experience it. People who are at their last stops are not treated as they should be.

The best you can do is to do your best and be your kind, compassionate self. I would be in service if I could help. I am not able :-(

When I was able to fake NT and was in care, they respected me. Not so much no. The more you need care, the more mistreatment you will incur.

New Threads

Top Bottom