• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I've got one - food pickiness

Sour cream and cottage cheese are 2 foods that I will never eat. i know many people love them, but both are just gross to me.

Mmmmmm, sour milk. That is all they are. I am not sure how they get them to taste so good. I like them, but my wife will not eat them ether. Says that she doesn't eat rotten milk.

I used to have a lot more trouble with food (I couldn't stand to eat a lot of different things, so it was a struggle if I ever had to eat away from home). I still have some issues, but not as many as I used to. I mostly just can't stand most fruit textures - they have to be exactly right or I can't eat them, so I tend to just not have fruit - need to have my food in layers, with what I want to eat last on the bottom (I eat using bowls rather than plates because it also stops the sides going cold as much) and I can't stand there being liquid around solid food, so for example when I have veggie mince or something, I need it to be absolutely dry, or I can't eat the bottom part of it (especially if it's on top of rice or pasta). I tend to eat a very restricted diet, but I know that's not good for me so I've been trying to branch out.

f anyone saw my eating habits, you would think I am an alien. If I could partake of photosynthesis, I would.

Forgive me, but I smiled when I started to read your post. It made me think of Garyx Wormuloid, the host of Earthling Cinema. He's an alien who tries to make sense of the long extinct Earth from movies & TV left behind. He finds eating disgusting so any clips that feature eating have a big "CENSORED" box covering them :)

I'm not as picky as some here, but my NT wife is. She doesn't like food touching and eats everything one at a time saving her favourite for last. A rare treat for us is barbecue chicken and nachos with potato salad and coleslaw. I'll eat nachos laden with potato salad and coleslaw then some chicken then some more nachos.... She eats the chicken, then the coleslaw, then the potato salad, then the nachos o_O
I am quite picky about what we eat though, especially when it comes to meat and fish and I'm very certain about what I do and don't like to eat. Meat must be as free of gristle and fat as possible and I cannot eat fish with any bones left in it. I love fried eggs but I can't eat any crispy bits - I have to cut them off. I love guacamole but I can't eat avocado as a fruit/vegetable - the texture repulses me. I cannot bear the smell of cooking lamb or brussels sprouts - can't even have them in the house. I could go on for ages...
I guess I'm picky about what I eat but not how I eat it.

Forgive me, but I smiled when I started to read your post. It made me think of Garyx Wormuloid, the host of Earthling Cinema. He's an alien who tries to make sense of the long extinct Earth from movies & TV left behind. He finds eating disgusting so any clips that feature eating have a big "CENSORED" box covering them :)

I'm not as picky as some here, but my NT wife is. She doesn't like food touching and eats everything one at a time saving her favourite for last. A rare treat for us is barbecue chicken and nachos with potato salad and coleslaw. I'll eat nachos laden with potato salad and coleslaw then some chicken then some more nachos.... She eats the chicken, then the coleslaw, then the potato salad, then the nachos o_O
I am quite picky about what we eat though, especially when it comes to meat and fish and I'm very certain about what I do and don't like to eat. Meat must be as free of gristle and fat as possible and I cannot eat fish with any bones left in it. I love fried eggs but I can't eat any crispy bits - I have to cut them off. I love guacamole but I can't eat avocado as a fruit/vegetable - the texture repulses me. I cannot bear the smell of cooking lamb or brussels sprouts - can't even have them in the house. I could go on for ages...
I guess I'm picky about what I eat but not how I eat it.

haha! That is great news! We will not have to eat one day. Lord, haste the day. I will be looking for his links on food. Do you have to post in particular? I would love to see them.

I think there's a "CENSORED" scene in the Sausage Party one, about 3:30 in :)
I don't think the videos are indexed in any way with food scenes, but he frequently comments on scenes involving the obscenity of putting things in your mouth. I find them very funny and they involve a little light philosophy too ;)

Don't like foods touching either.
Never would eat the crust on bread and only like the soft inside of rolls or biscuits.
I have a weird habit of not eating the end of french fries where I hold them by.
Don't like to eat them with a fork. That just takes away from the whole experience.
Any food that they put little red things in like red bell peppers or small chunks of tomatoe,
out they go. Pick them out with my fork. Just don't like that red in my food.
Won't drink anything completely to the bottom of the glass or bottle. Might be something
not good lurking at the bottom in my mind. :confused:
Generally don't like crunchy foods. Although I can eat popcorn and tacos. Go figure.
I have this with the not drinking things to the bottom.

If I bite into something and it doesn't feel right the whole meal gets left. Generally this is meat - so gristle, skin or it makes the wrong sound as my teeth slice through it - nope, in the bin. The worse culprit for that was chicken and sausages so I've swapped to Quorn pieces and quorn sausages and don't get that bother anymore.

I need bread to be the right texture. So not too soft that it feels soggy but not too hard either. Its difficult to explain it so others understand.

I like egg fried rice and quiche but cannot eat fried or scrambled eggs.

There is tons of foods I don't like.

I will eat only certain foods for X amount of time before I stop wanting them then move on to the next phase... that's one big circle really.

I have this with the not drinking things to the bottom.

If I bite into something and it doesn't feel right the whole meal gets left. Generally this is meat - so gristle, skin or it makes the wrong sound as my teeth slice through it - nope, in the bin. The worse culprit for that was chicken and sausages so I've swapped to Quorn pieces and quorn sausages and don't get that bother anymore.

I need bread to be the right texture. So not too soft that it feels soggy but not too hard either. Its difficult to explain it so others understand.

I like egg fried rice and quiche but cannot eat fried or scrambled eggs.

There is tons of foods I don't like.

I will eat only certain foods for X amount of time before I stop wanting them then move on to the next phase... that's one big circle really.
Yes, texture is a big thing for me, too. I usually try to read something or do something while I eat so I focus on what I'm doing and not the food. Even my favorite food (which is the small hamburger from Mcdonalds :) ) if I start thinking about the texture I have to spit it out and trash the rest.
hmmm Maybe I SHOULD start focusing on the texture more often. lol

Yes, texture is a big thing for me, too. I usually try to read something or do something while I eat so I focus on what I'm doing and not the food. Even my favorite food (which is the small hamburger from Mcdonalds :) ) if I start thinking about the texture I have to spit it out and trash the rest.
hmmm Maybe I SHOULD start focusing on the texture more often. lol
Do you not find though, the more you try to distract yourself the more focused on the food you become? My brain knows I'm trying to trick it so I can't fool myself lol.

Also, not technically food pickiness but related to eating, I can't allow cutlery to touch my teeth. Just thinking about it makes me hurt!

Do you not find though, the more you try to distract yourself the more focused on the food you become? My brain knows I'm trying to trick it so I can't fool myself lol.

Also, not technically food pickiness but related to eating, I can't allow cutlery to touch my teeth. Just thinking about it makes me hurt!
ooh yuck as far as the cutlery touching teeth. absolutely!!!

It has become habit and I don't think about it - it's when I do think about it that I start focusing on the texture and can't finish.

I wouldn't call my food preferences "pickiness", but I tend to eat the same thing over and over and over again. I am obsessed with peanut butter. I eat pb&js, peanut butter on bagels, peanut butter on rolls, and any dessert/sweet that has peanut butter. If you gave me a bag of hamburger rolls and a jar of peanut butter I would be quite content.

New Threads

Top Bottom