• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Itchy teeth?

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
Most people think I am crazy when I bring this one up, my parents say I just need to brush my teeth more often. As a child I used to have meltdowns because of my teeth itching. I was always told it was impossible for teeth to itch and that it was all in my head. I had a really cruel teacher who would tell me to scratch them when they itched. She didn't believe me and probably thought it was a ploy to avoid school work but the sensation was so distracting and uncomfortable, I wouldn't focus on my school work. The "itch" is from deep inside the tooth and and biting something really hard usually curbs the sensation. Pencils, gum and the special necklaces and stim toys made for autistic people are all too soft. I need something that won't bend when chewed such as the handle of a tooth brush and even those are usually too soft. Sometimes shoving something such as a TV remote up against the "itchy" tooth helps. The fourth teeth from my canines are usually the teeth that are "itchy". I've been tempted to pull them out with plyers. I should have had them removed with my wisdom teeth but I didn't want to look like a hick and I somehow doubt you can get single teeth dentures. let alone get dentures in your late teens. Oral hygiene isn't one of my strong points because toothpaste burns and stings my mouth and lips and most flavors make me sick. I have to use baking soda or just plain water.

is it a tingling or a pain ?
pain in your teeth is one of the symptoms of panic
Most people think I am crazy when I bring this one up, my parents say I just need to brush my teeth more often. As a child I used to have meltdowns because of my teeth itching. I was always told it was impossible for teeth to itch and that it was all in my head. I had a really cruel teacher who would tell me to scratch them when they itched. She didn't believe me and probably thought it was a ploy to avoid school work but the sensation was so distracting and uncomfortable, I wouldn't focus on my school work. The "itch" is from deep inside the tooth and and biting something really hard usually curbs the sensation. Pencils, gum and the special necklaces and stim toys made for autistic people are all too soft. I need something that won't bend when chewed such as the handle of a tooth brush and even those are usually too soft. Sometimes shoving something such as a TV remote up against the "itchy" tooth helps. The fourth teeth from my canines are usually the teeth that are "itchy". I've been tempted to pull them out with plyers. I should have had them removed with my wisdom teeth but I didn't want to look like a hick and I somehow doubt you can get single teeth dentures. let alone get dentures in your late teens. Oral hygiene isn't one of my strong points because toothpaste burns and stings my mouth and lips and most flavors make me sick. I have to use baking soda or just plain water.

When I was in 3rd grade one of the boys
had dentures, upper & lower plates.

Yes, certainly a single tooth can be replaced
with an artificial one. The tooth can be an
implant or on a bridge {sort of like a retainer,
but with a tooth attached.}

My teeth used to fit together so tightly that I used
jam my thumbnail between them to relieve a
sensation that I described as "itchy."

Nobody seemed to know what I was talking about.

It could be a neurological or inflammatory reaction to a specific substance or food. I used to have insanely itchy skin and sensitive teeth. I would wake up in the middle of night with my ears and teeth tingling/itching and nothing would relieve the very irritating sensation. An allergist finally suggested I might have a wheat or dairy allergy. Long story short, I eliminated wheat and gluten from my diet and the itching stopped. My teeth are no longer sensitive.

Sinus problems and infections can also cause tooth pain or tingling.

Have you tried using a Water Pik? The pulsing motion might help with the itchiness and they are very good at cleaning teeth and reducing plaque.

Did you talk to a dentist about it? I gotta admit, I've always been scared of dentists and haven't gone to one until I was 27. My dental hygiene was always sub-par; I've only brushed my teeth, never really flossed. I ended up having my wisdom teeth removed because they were impacted, and one of them has been causing problems. I'm glad I finally went.

Not that crazy, some sounds make my teeth itch, but possibly not to the extent yours do. Should probably see a dentist about that before you pull them out ;)

This is an old thread from my Wrong Planet days I just copy pasted. I wanted to see if itchy teeth was common to autistic people. I never noticed my teeth itching ever since I went vegan but when they do, I take some dental floss around the itchy tooth and then swish some mouth wash around that seems to help. Now if only I could get the inside of my ears to stop itching so bad.

New Threads

Top Bottom