• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is there a link between developmentally repressive formative environments and ASC?

Maybe you have in mind not the aspect of the autism itself but the comorbid conditions as potentially being caused by environmental factors? Or the severity of symptoms, such as sensitivity to sounds or sights?

The fact is that autism seems to be hereditary. Specific traits - maybe they are caused - or 'activated' - by different factors?

It sounds more like you're finding ways to express resentment toward your upbringing. I'd be curious to know in what ways a religious fundamentalist upbringing could be developmentally repressive but perhaps this isn't the thread for that.

It sounds more like you're finding ways to express resentment toward your upbringing. I'd be curious to know in what ways a religious fundamentalist upbringing could be developmentally repressive but perhaps this isn't the thread for that.

'Fanatics'...can be really strict about everything, from the clothes you wear to people you talk to. The things you say, do, think, even the way you sit can be wrong and sinful.

Like every extreme, it's wrong and should never happen.

Proven 'Environmental' links in this case means parents, particularly mothers, exposure to various chemicals/substances. The studies I have seen linked increased rates of autism risk if parents lived near busy highways, near farmfields (presumed pesticides) and most recently exposure at any time in there life to DDT.
Those kinds of things (one in particular) account for the grievous increase in co-morbid conditions, not a change in base autism.

'Fanatics' can be really strict about everything, from the clothes you wear to people you talk to. The things you say, do, think, even the way you sit can be wrong and sinful.

Like every extreme, it's wrong and should never happen.

Parental involvement in the clothes their children wear, as well as who their children associate with sounds normal and healthy to me. Teaching posture also doesn't sound bad to me. Maybe I misunderstood you to an extent.

You're correct.
The area for discussion of faith based/religious topics is
Religion

Parental involvement in the clothes their children wear, as well as who their children associate with sounds normal and healthy to me. Teaching posture also doesn't sound bad to me. Maybe I misunderstood you to an extent.

It is healthy - to an extent. There should always be healthy boundaries involved. However, as you said it's not the right place for this discussion.

Since, (as has been stated) asd is present at birth, then no, is the answer.

I was raised in a very stunted way and thus confusion regarding my interlect, since I learned to read at 9 and started to crawl at 2, thus the conclusion was: a late developer and I started my monthlies when I was 16.

However, I heard from off shoots of family, that I was neglected as a baby and thus, probably why I startd to crawl late.

There was absolutely no parental training involved. No sitting me on lap and looking through books etc etc and because as soon as I learned to read ( I hate to admit it, but it was "father" who taught me, because he felt embarrassed that at 9, I could not read), I went back to school and in the space of a month, went from a worrying child, who could not read at all, to getting a certificate for the best reader in the school; not just the class!

I was molested from around 7 until I was 15 and that could be the reason why I developed so slowly, as it was acknowledged by "father" that I was the most timid.

Thus, the conclusion is that invironmental issues have a huge impact on how us with asd behave.

The short answer? - No.

I suspect that at best, environmental considerations *might* influence autism to some degree, but to keep perspective in that they are not ever a "proximate cause" of autism. That's something that will always remain within the realm of neurology. And any and all comorbid conditions that can be factored into the equation.

I still recall that point in time when I realized that growing up in a military family was just a small consideration towards determining who- and what I am in comparison with neurological factors that span a lifetime.

Last edited:
Wasn't allowed to cook, iron or wash clothes

OK - I've heard of the other things, but that's outright bizarre!

This is an interesting topic @SpecG and worthy of discussion, but it's place is in the religious section of this forum. This thread may well end up moved there at this rate, which would mean it may not reach the people you wish to discuss the topic of the OP with.

This is an interesting topic @SpecG and worthy of discussion, but it's place is in the religious section of this forum. This thread may well end up moved there at this rate, which would mean it may not reach the people you wish to discuss the topic of the OP with.

My mum was and probably still is super paranoid that I'd cause a catastrophe.

When I moved back out of necessity after a friend ripped me off when I was 19 she still refused to give me a house key.

Having been raised by religious fundamentalists and being diagnosed with ASC, I see a logical correlation between developmentally repressive environments like this and conditions such as ASC.

I wonder if any scientific studies have looked at this?
I see what you are saying because I had wondered if that had something to do with it. At the time before my son was diagnosed with ASD He used to say sometimes if he had gone to school instead of being home schooled and been more social growing up maybe he wouldn't have these horrible anxieties about being out in public. The one thing i can say which seems to agree with all the comments on here is that my kids were kind of shy, i had 5 and all of them kind of kept to themselves even when they were in school, however my son with the ASD never progressed, all of the other kids (adults now) have friends, go out, have jobs, drive their cars, head out alone to places, talk to people and although they may have a slight fear of being in a situation where they have to talk or state something, they all do it well, BUT my son with ASD. They all grew up in the same environment but looking back my son with the Asperger's was just different, he irritated the other kids, when they were put in time out the other kids would sit there, he would get up laugh and walk away, i would put him back in time out and he would just laugh get up and walk away. There were so many differences in him compared to the other kids in the things he said and did. I do agree though maybe the anxieties wouldn't have been that high if he had learned early on to be out in public vs/ not getting out that much. We lived way in the country and although we would get out as a family we didn't often go out or meet friends or do things without ALL of us together.

Having been raised by religious fundamentalists and being diagnosed with ASC, I see a logical correlation between developmentally repressive environments like this and conditions such as ASC.

I wonder if any scientific studies have looked at this?
I think, it doesn't create the "disability " but it does amplify certain stress factors and denies individuals with ASD basic ways of thinking and behaving. For instance, being raised pagan allowed me to express "magical thinking" in a safe environment. And, although, many of my behaviors were misundetstood, I was also given skills for coping in a gentle manner, instead of the abrasive environment that includes right and wrong mentality.

My parents weren’t repressive, but they were rather strict about teaching me proper etiquette. I don’t think that has harmed me in any way, if anything it’s helped me mask better and feel less awkward in social situations (although in some environments I tend to come off as posh and standoffish).
I do have some comorbid disorders related to how my relationship with my parents developed at a later age though.
Since there are a lot of people with autism in my extended family, I tend to think my autism is purely genetic.

..., but they were rather strict about teaching me proper etiquette.
Many of the issues in the OP amount to what can be called a "spiritual" etiquette. Some forms of etiquette do not make sense unless/until the person buys into some "big picture." It is constraint, but not repression.

I have never understood why anyone must "make" their bed in a presentable fashion (so I do not do so). Why fold socks or underwear?
full
Just throw them in a drawer...

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom