• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it true that Microsoft Boss Bill Gates is Aspie?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

It was something I read about online way back when I was first diagnosed as I was looking up famous Aspies.

If you're going to start bashing Microsoft here, don't bother, don't want console wars here.

Down with Sony! :p

He has never said that he is on the spectrum. It is likely a rumour made up by someone online with too much time on their hands.

Talented? One of a kind? True and true. I don't think his genius needs any explanation here :)

What about Temple Grandin or (the now late) Donna Williams? There are already other famous individuals who have come forward with their diagnosis, Bill Gates not being one of them. Probably because - go figure - he's not on the spectrum to begin with. Unless confirmation bias is your thing...

Last edited:
I was reading the same lists when I was first diagnosed too. Whatever, I carry a picture of Bill Gates in my check book. Good luck charm? No, just kidding. I do admire him for his genius and his different personality.
I have a cute pic of him when he was young and looked a lot like I did at that age. :rolleyes:
avatars-000025149788-mf8o5m-t500x500.jpg

So he's never commented, but if you google (or bing or duckduckgo, or ...) Bill Gates rocking, you get some of the stuff, including a video, that makes some go Hmmm. But it's all anecdotal or guessing. Only he knows.

I'm just thinking if he really was on the spectrum he might be a little more generous- and strategic with his grants relative to so many others. Of course I'm just speculating. I simply typed in "autism" in the search function of his website which shows all the various grants they've awarded.

While $5,060,000 is a lot of money to you or me, it isn't with philanthropists like Bill and Melinda Gates.

Awarded Grants

I know Bill Gates was pretty good on the phone when he was a young man, this is something some people with aspies would find difficult, when I was younger I couldn't gain the confidence to phone people I didn't know and I still find it difficult even today (it causes anxiety). I know this because an old trusted work college of mine actually spoke to Bill Gates in the late 1970s when Microsoft was still a small relatively unheard of business. He had some technical queries about Microsoft BASIC and Bill Gates himself actually came to the phone to give some good advise, but back then he was unknown to most people and my work college wouldn't had known at the time just how famous and wealthy he would become. I know this was true as he even got sent a follow up fax with more in depth technical advise that was signed by Bill Gates, he still had the original many years later when Microsoft and Bill Gates had become a household name and he showed it off to everyone in the IT office including myself with pride.

I will leave you a photo of the Microsoft team from 1978, about the time my work college spoke to Bill Gates and there he is in the bottom left corner.

KLL4ySY.jpg

I know Bill Gates was pretty good on the phone when he was a young man, this is something some people with aspies would find difficult, when I was younger I couldn't gain the confidence to phone people I didn't know and I still find it difficult even today (it causes anxiety). I know this because an old trusted work college of mine actually spoke to Bill Gates in the late 1970s when Microsoft was still a small relatively unheard of business. He had some technical queries about Microsoft BASIC and Bill Gates himself actually came to the phone to give some good advise, but back then he was unknown to most people and my work college wouldn't had known at the time just how famous and wealthy he would become. I know this was true as he even got sent a follow up fax with more in depth technical advise that was signed by Bill Gates, he still had the original many years later when Microsoft and Bill Gates had become a household name and he showed it off to everyone in the IT office including myself with pride.

I will leave you a photo of the Microsoft team from 1978, about the time my work college spoke to Bill Gates and there he is in the bottom left corner.

KLL4ySY.jpg
I have this photo also, as again we looked a lot alike at that age.

New Threads

Top Bottom