• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it bad that I find some people on the spectrum annoying?

I used to go to a program that gave ABA social skill therapy for kids on the spectrum and I found many of those kids annoying. Some had awful hygiene, would pick their noses and fart then laugh about it, some were know-it-alls who wouldn't shut up. I do feel bad for feeling annoyed at them because I know they probably don't realize how annoying they're being and it also reminds me of how annoying I used to act before I bettered those things. Let me know your thoughts.

I don't think it is the person with autism that you dislike. You may actually just simply dislike the person that happens to have autism. I have a few autistic friends and we get on just fine and I can probably chock it up to our special interests mesh very well.

I wasn't aware there were laws stating that you must like everyone with autism. You're entitled to like or dislike anyone regardless of if they are autistic or not.

There's a guy in my support group who can't control the volume of his voice. I find him off-putting. I'm not a violent person but I often feel evil thoughts towards people who speak too loudly.

Yuck. I used to have a couple of employees with bad body odors. One was a young male attorney who drank gallons of coffee around the clock. I swear his pores oozed the stench of soured coffee, not to mention his breath. His paralegal (loved that girl!) finally told him that she couldn't stand going inside his office because it smelled horrible due to his breath. He changed something - eating breath mints? - and the stench improved.

I had a female employee who apparently did not bathe with any regularity, launder her clothes, or wear deoderant. She also wore terribly bad fitting bras under thin shirts that you could see right through to her nipples and grossed out the male employees whom she hallucinated she sexually appealed to. I finally fired her after she sexually harassed a gay male temporary employee by claiming she could convert him to heterosexuality if he would sleep with her. He was offended, I was offended, and the laws of the USA were offended.

Last example was a very fat female employee who just plain old stunk. I slipped some deoderant, some scented body wash, and some mouthwash into her desk drawer after work one night but said nothing to her. I think she got the message to clean up her act but she never knew who put those items in her desk.

All I saw when I read this is "I would want to crawl in a hole and DIE if someone slipped deodorant or other man made chemicals on my desk..." actually, I'd probably quit my job and have my phobias about working with humans thoroughly confirmed.

Personally, I find body odor less offensive than the flowery disgusting perfumes people coat themselves in. I even find non-scented products can choke me up, not just people products but hiusecleaning products too. Shampoo that makes your hair stink like banana for DAYS afterwards. Floors that smell like pinesol for DAYS after that?! *shudders*

I'm very clean and self-aware around people. But because I dont use man made products frequently I do have a natural body odor. I smell like woman, cigarettes and milk. I'm Canadian and I drink tea alllll day long. You are what you eat, lol.

I figure since I hate hate hate hate hate the way everyone else coats themselves in corpse perfume I can let my natural freak flag fly. Not that I want them to be offended by my smell but I am definitely offended by them wanting to smell like a walking bowl of potpourri.

We all stink to someone! I heard to Asian cultures most westerners (or those that eat dairy) all smell like sour milk!!!

Agreed. It hurts my ears and I think they are total ASSHOLES. In my experience, most of the loudspeakers have been NTs... like can you not see me moving across the room and blocking the ear that's facing you with my fingers? I wish it was socially acceptable to say "I can hear you... pretty sure they can hear you on Mars."

There's a guy in my support group who can't control the volume of his voice. I find him off-putting. I'm not a violent person but I often feel evil thoughts towards people who speak too loudly.

I find some people annoying period. Some people surely find me annoying as well. So, what to do about it then?

Pretty sure I mentioned it on another thread - people: can't live with them, can't live without them! Compromise is worth a shot, but in the end some people just aren't going to get along with some people, no matter what you say or do.

I have a more guilt-inducing situation. I was pressured into being the godparent of a special needs girl with lots of trauma issues. She was barely intelligible, had zero understanding of boundaries, and was completely and utterly obsessed with me. True obsession - I am always on her mind, she is constantly asking to be with me, for me to visit her, for her to visit me, she writes loads of letters and draws loads of pictures that her mother than occasionally sends to me in bulk. She used to literally cling to me while I tried to walk around, she would go through my belongings.

Everyone else thinks it's sweet. It is in fact due to her trauma and terrible fear of being abandoned. I find it extremely disturbing, and it's why I did not want to be her godparent - it triggered me in all kinds of ways since I hate when people cross my boundaries, I hate that she is always pressuring me to be with her, I hate that she tells everyone that she doesn't see me enough (it would never be enough), and then those people add additional pressure to me as to why I'm not visiting her more - so it's a group pressure and a group idea that I'm a terrible godparent - I think the obsession is very unhealthy and weird and what we really needed was distance, yet I naively let her mother manipulate me into accepting.

I first said no and explained why, then she asked again and I felt guilty about it and said yes. Lifelong regret so far. Most people would say I'm a monster, but nobody else has been the object of this bizarre obsession. She has always lived far away, now she is several hours away - and yet I am still considered the bad godparent because I don't go visit.

Even though I listed all of these reasons for why I didn't want to be her godparent - I could not guarantee that I could cope with her trauma, or that I could drive long distances to be with her, that I could be very involved with her (and certainly not enough for her to be happy about it), and most of all - no matter what I do, she is in the state of "abandonment" from "me" - really from all the terrible things that have happened to her, but now I got trapped into that trauma loop, but I can't just go live with her.

It would have all been solved had her mom taken seriously my warnings about how the godparent thing was a terrible idea, and if I had not been guilted into saying yes the second time I was asked. Her mom is manipulative, and I still feel angry about it. I send her gifts and cards several times a year, but that is where my comfort level is at now that she lives so far away. I'm not driving several hours each way to visit her, but I think others think I'm bad for not doing that once in a while. But I was upfront with the mom that I could not/would not do that, and that's why I didn't want to be godparent!

Whew! Sorry for hijacking this thread.

For the sake of your mental stability and some fairness to you and the persons in question. Tell them as directly as you can that this is not beneficial to either of you and could actually be dangerous. What if something (God forbid) happened to her parents and you were to be the child's guardian? You'd be between a rock and a hard place. You would either be very mental and take care of her OR put an already emotionally damaged child into the system. These people were wrong to manipulate you, but it would be wrong to let it continue. Its hard to take a stand but this one would be the best for you and ultimately the child.

Try working in a mental health agency with clients who do not bathe, or are homeless, or do not ever wash clothes. More then a few are extremely obese. Some are toothless, but some never brush their teeth- look and smell really bad. Table manners are extremely atrocious. Hair is never combed, or washed. These people can smell really badly and I am nearly vomiting while co-workers don’t notice it!

I have heard of some clients being seen with roaches crawling up and down on their clothing. One must remember to not sit on the same furniture that clients sit on. They can also be carrying bed bugs on them. At my last job, these folks were driven around in our cars. Co-workers all had disenfectants and roach spray in their cars. I got out of driving as much as possible. I had to drive to really dangerous high crime areas, but at least the clients were clean.

Yes, my sensory issues really took a beating. But yet, these people need help. They come to the agency for services. They also can be some of the nicest people on the planet, if one gets past all the issues.

Thank you for asking this. When I told my two close friends/coworkers about my ASD, they said, "Oh, McGillicutty (not his actual name) will be thrilled!" McGillicutty has diagnosed himself with Asperger's, and sometimes he's a bit difficult to be around. I begged them not to tell him. I don't want to be buddies with him just because we're both Apsies.

Maybe when I have a few years of accepting and coping under my belt, I'll be willing to compare notes with him. But not yet.

People annoy me when they do annoying things - whether they are on the spectrum or not is irrelevant.

20 odd years ago I lived in a College main hall full of young people with various mental and physical handicaps, some were extremely annoying, some you couldn't help but sympathise with their plight, they had to contend with a life post-College of never working but going to Day Centres specific to their disability.

Although I as a parent of two Autistic small children focus on the positives about them and Autism, and have learned to not only understand and accept many things that come with that, but to also appreciate and respect them and those on the Spectrum, too, there are certain things I see that I fault the caregivers of certain Austistic persons for not making better efforts, as certain things can be bettered.

Whenever I see either our sons do or say anything not nice to another, or if their generalization is not true or could harm others of that class that do not fit that stereotype, I make attempts to educate that child through words or some action, and to make sure they learn what they said or did was either not true, not polite, or saying how it could be harmful to another.

How do we know what cannot be changed if we do not try, as all on the Spectrum are different, too. We believe in the importance of manners, and trying to change what can be changed. My pet peeve is when anyone, including those on the spectrum, have the attitude, "accept me as I am." Life is about growth and change, and trying to be one's best, and so if wrongs occur, trying to better that. Not all traits or behaviors can be changed, obviously, but many can with better parental or ASD effort, and with open mindedness.

And that is were I fault those parents for not trying to early on stop those less proper routines, attitudes and generalizations coming from that one with ASD. Maybe those parents were too busy at work, did not communicate well enough or make as many efforts to change to healthier or more proper routine, or maybe they were bad parents and abusive, but clearly, bad hygiene or very inappropriate attitudes and behaviors, could have been changed in several of those cases, if that parent truly cared, as everyone with higher functioning can change some things. Otherwise, they would be seen as often lower functioning.

There are some here on this forum clearly I do not understand, or relate much to, like if they are repeatedly attacking all NTs, Aspie males, all children, or if they are not listening or supporting much, or seem not acting on reasonable advice and so forth. Whether it is their personality, bad upbringing, or a trait of their condition, or a combination, please understand you get out of this world what you put into it, and the more you criticiize others, show less care for others, or the less one try's other approaches, the more others will fairly criticize you, and the more problems in life you will have . It's never to late to change certain ways that are repelling others. Who knows what can or cannot be changed without trying.

For those who think higher functioning Autism is an excuse to not change anything, our oldest child when he was much younger used to generalize, have poor manners, not share, not take turns, not want to be social with others but parallel play, want things just his way all the time, etc. But, with his efforts after we discussed the importance of having certain behaviors, skills, and attitude, if able, explaining the importance for each one in a logical way, and after showing him how to do such, he developed healthier routines, has developed a better and more positive attitude, and he has great caring and other social skills that will last him a lifetime, resulting in less problems with others. For things he cannot change we embrace those, as being a part of his condition and we do not discourage those genetic traits.

As for our youngest, we realize for him his comorbid conditions with moderate Autism and severe ADHD makes changing anything about him very hard, and as we would never consider meds for him, at this age. That would be a personal decision for him, once he is older. But, if he acts up in public because of sensory issue or other, we will remove him from that environment, if he cannot calm down soon. Or if he does something very improper at home, we try to find some constructive way to not encourage that, and only through trial and error do we know what works and does not there. Some parents may make matters worse by their actions or inactions, shown usually if that child's meltdowns are many, long lasting or extreme.

So the moral of this story is, yes certain traits or behaviors in all people can be annoying, but if persons are either self-aware, have desires to change certain changeable ways to fit in better or to be healthier, or if they have someone caring in their life who knows things well and with desires to assist them, in the best ways for that person, then there would be less annoying persons in this world. However, if one wants to keep being negative or blaming others, wants to stay static in life, and wants to live life feeling more alone, then that is a decision, too. Having a condition is not a choice, but what you do in life with your condition often is.

You wouldn't like me then, I speak loudly, but as a deaf guy I can't help it :(

Try to give yourself sensory processing disorder.

Read the entire post. Like I said in that post, some do not listen. I said some things can be changed, some cannot. I said that at least three times. For instance, some personality traits can be changed. Some behavioraL issues can be changed. Some routines can be changed. Some attitude problem can be changed, etc.

And yes, some sensory issues can be bettered, too. Our son used to fear others touching his head, for hair washing. He used to fear certain texture foods. He used to fear the lights off. He used to fear certain sounds. He says that does not bother him anymore. Does he still have many other sensory issues, yes. But, we are not negative parents and think everything will be static. That is giving up.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom