• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is common for Aspies to have a regional accent?

Hah... the test wasn't that specific ;)

I'll try to remind myself about this and I might record it someday when I have a mic hooked up ;)

Also; no we don't all talk the same :p there's a significant difference between folks from Maastricht, Kerkrade or Roermond... pretty much every city has a distinct dialect and thus a pretty specific accent. Well, except for Heerlen, a city which has a bastardized version of all local dialects... heck, their accent to me sounds one of the more thrashy Limburg accents.

I'm still wondering what shibolleths there are for all these cities in my area. (for those clueless about that odd looking word, it's hebrew; Shibboleth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep. You guys have had a thousand years or more to develop all those local accents. Way longer than any of us....;)

But I do wonder if transportation, technology and migration are changing it across the pond as much as it's changing here....

I grew up in northern England where most have a strong regional accent, but other than a few words I have adapted to saying in a northern accent to avoid teasing at school, I have a neutral accent.

Mine varies from a Southern accent to a "midland" accent, as does my quiz results depending on which one I'm taking. I'm also one of those whose accent changes based on who they're talking to. Some locally have asked if I'm from Australia. Still haven't figured that one out. My mom thinks I have a slight Canadian accent at times. But I've never been accused of being monotone, my inflections and stuff vary too much.

I was born in North Western Canada, but I've spoken with a Cockney accent my whole life. My parents, sister and relatives all sound strictly North American-meaning that they sound like the people on American and Canadian television. I've learned to accept it after I forgave my parents for shaming me about it, the entire summer that I was going into Grade 7.

I was born and raised in Canada, but all my life people have thought I have a foreign accent. They usually guess British or German. British I can understand, as I have British grandparents on both sides and have been exposed to a lot of BBC. I have no idea where I might have acquired a German accent.

I was born and raised in Canada, but all my life people have thought I have a foreign accent. They usually guess British or German. British I can understand, as I have British grandparents on both sides and have been exposed to a lot of BBC. I have no idea where I might have acquired a German accent.
There's a British lady I see every so often that's married one of our locals and lived here for several years with him. First time I met her, I wondered if she was from Germany because I couldn't place her hybrid accent. Maybe it's just something about mixing a British accent in with another?

I took the first test which said northeast US, which is where I have always lived. That test basically only asks about vowel mergers. The northeast has almost no vowel mergers. The dialect from my area is most known for non-rhoticity, but I don't have that characteristic in my speech. I hate vowel mergers because they are a loss of specificity in the language. If Aaron and Erin are sitting next to each other and you call out to one of them and they both look at you then you broke the language.

When I take them, most of the quiz is taken up by word choice with 2-4 questions devoted to pronunciation. I scored for Ebonics on one because I'd watched a pirate movie just before taking it. That be an interestin' result thar.

Sully, I am from the northeast and generally don't have the accent unless I have a couple drinks.

I went to Washington DC for training for 8 weeks and met up with a few people from Chicago they would have me say certain words after I had a couple drinks and laugh.

There were people from upstate Maine, Minnesota, Tennessee and Mississippi that also went to this mandatory training session for our job.

It was the differences in how we spoke that kind of broke the ice and started conversations.

I have a western US accent by default, but my accent tends to change depending on what language I'm speaking or whom I am speaking with. For example, when I'm speaking to sombody important, I switch to a southern US accent, pronouncing every word I speak more richly.

If you are from New Zealand or Australia, please comment on this video.
She seems to have exquisite control of her speech.

She's pretty close. Of course the accents can also vary from the North to South of NZ.
If you are into phonetics, there is lots on Wikipedia. For example:
Regional accents of English
New Zealand English
Australian English phonology
International Phonetic Alphabet chart for English dialects
What I'm interested to know is if I'm the only one in the world who actually pronounces both letters when there are double consonants. Maybe it was just my pedantic aspieness when I was learning to read. I'm told by linguists its not normal.
ie, I say ap-ple not a-ple and let-ter not le-ter (first consonant being pronounced unaspirated, and its not a glottal stop).

Last edited:
When I went to college, every single person that I met for the first time either asked or stated that I was from NY. Those frequent and correct identifications were a clear indication that I had a regional accent.

During the intervening four decades I have lived all over the country and my accent is a blend of all these regions, so I am no longer instantly identified as a NY'er. However, I am aware that I still retain components of my original speech pattern, primarily in my tendency to elide and other oddities such as the inability to correctly say words ending in a hard "G", such as walking and talking. The natural pronunciation that I have is walkin' and talkin'; when I consciously attempt to put the "g" in at the end it comes out with additional sounds, to my ear it sounds like "walkinggg-h".

And today when I state that I am going back to Long Island, I actually say one word, "lawn-guy-lynn".

All aspies have different traits.

By the way, the test correctly identified my accent.

During my school years, I had several teachers and advisers that tried, in vain, to convince me to "soften" my southern drawl. They told me that, when people hear someone speaking with a drawl they think that person as slow or less intelligent. Well, if you think I'm less intelligent or slow because of the way I talk, that gives me the advantage.

As I've got older, I have learn to temper that sentiment, especially in work type situations.

I unconsciously echo the accents around me. When I moved from the southern U.S. to the Midwest, my accent changed fairly quickly.

I sound Australian mostly but sometimes I say things that people think that sound like I'm from the UK,I think maybe because my mum originally comes from the UK so I may have it picked it up from her.

According to the American accent quiz, I sound like I come from the Inland North. That sounds about right; properly pronounced American English. I'm not from that part of the country, though. I started life in Upstate New York and have lived most of my adult life in the Carolinas. I've traveled a lot and my closest friends (but one) have equally neutral American accents, or are British.

My NY hometown has a distinct accent but I never really acquired it. My decision not to take on any accent from the Carolinas was deliberate. It just doesn't suit my Yankee politics. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom