• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Being Unemployed My Job?

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
My boss comes to me and says that he isn?t making the money he needs to, he?s closing down and thanks very much for being such a productive employee. He also said that he wished I would find employment again but that if I didn?t I could have another job with him over next Christmas.

He only hired me because I work like a whipped dog and the government gives him a kickback for hiring a *"special needs client"! This happens every time, someone hires me because they get that money back, they work me to death despite my *?handicap?, or because of it, then when the money dries up? job disappears! My job finding company doesn?t care because it looks good for them that they found me another job.

This last time I was bloody Manager of an entire store, by myself! And yet, despite the amount of professional people who saw me in that role, I can?t find another position. Hello, manager people! Me, manager!

Can you get/ hold a job if you?re known to be aspergical?
Is it easier to get/ hold a job based on your obsession?
If you have a job, have you had to hide that you?re an aspie?
If you where entering the job market, would you tell?
Could you allow yourself to be classed as "handicapped" or "special needs" if it meant getting a job?
Is anyone's boss here given incentive to have you on staff?

* = Yes, I am marketed as a "special needs client" or "handicapped"

I don't think Asperger's or any other h.f. ASD like mine should prevent anyone from working. It might be easier if it's targeted towards your interests, but then there's the social aspect and that trial and error mess. Some people are willing to work with you and provide training, others need someone qualified and skilled enough right off the bat and that in itself can be a pain in the ass. The whole sink or swim thing really doesn't help a bit, but that's life.

I do have a job, yes. No, it's not the greatest job in the world at all. No one that I work with has suspected anything, and I've not told anyone about it yet. Don't see why I would tell unless they specifically inquired about it and I doubt that would happen anyways, because even if I could be classified as "disabled", if I can do the job better than the last 12 people (none of whom have any physical or neurological conditions) it's kind of a moot point then. As for the incentives, I don't think that applies to jobs here in the U.S., especially ones in retail like mine in which incentives are few and far between to begin with...so no.

I don't think Asperger's or any other h.f. ASD like mine should prevent anyone from working. It might be easier if it's targeted towards your interests, but then there's the social aspect and that trial and error mess. Some people are willing to work with you and provide training, others need someone qualified and skilled enough right off the bat and that in itself can be a pain in the ass. The whole sink or swim thing really doesn't help a bit, but that's life.

I do have a job, yes. No, it's not the greatest job in the world at all. No one that I work with has suspected anything, and I've not told anyone about it yet. Don't see why I would tell unless they specifically inquired about it and I doubt that would happen anyways, because even if I could be classified as "disabled", if I can do the job better than the last 12 people (none of whom have any physical or neurological conditions) it's kind of a moot point then. As for the incentives, I don't think that applies to jobs here in the U.S., especially ones in retail like mine in which incentives are few and far between to begin with...so no.

I kind of feel like I just got called lazy. I've worked several retail jobs, I tend to have trouble with explainations of certain tasks my bosses have wanted done, customer interaction, and doing new tasks, I think a lot of my fellow employees start thinking there's something wrong with me. in addition to all of this I have difficulty maintaining any kind of sleep schedule and often go without sleeping for days at a time when I have a job, until I shut down for a while for some reason or another and can't seem to go back, and I don't feel like I can do anything.

My boss comes to me and says that he isn’t making the money he needs to, he’s closing down and thanks very much for being such a productive employee. He also said that he wished I would find employment again but that if I didn’t I could have another job with him over next Christmas.

He only hired me because I work like a whipped dog and the government gives him a kickback for hiring a *"special needs client"! This happens every time, someone hires me because they get that money back, they work me to death despite my *“handicap”, or because of it, then when the money dries up… job disappears! My job finding company doesn’t care because it looks good for them that they found me another job.

Gomendosi - Sorry you're going through that. A lot of employers take advantage of their employees when they can and then get rid of them one they don't need them anymore. When I was a university student, my classmates with work-study funding (the government subsidizes employers that hire these students) got part time jobs while I struggled to find one. Employers only care about profits...

Also, how severe is your Aspergers? Call me cynical, but I would guess that the fact that you're a special needs client might hinder your career opportunities. It seems that if you have mild aspergers, ADHD, bipolar, or whatever, it's best to not let the employers no as long as you can hide it well enough.

Caspar, I actually don’t have a level on my Aspergers, the people that diagnosed me didn’t bother to inform me that it has a scale. They did say it was "significant" but my own estimation is that I am somewhere in the middle because I can hide it well enough for a time and then the confusion beats the bluff to a pulp and I start to slip up. People that have known me for a short while start to develop a curiosity about my mannerisms, speech and pattern of thought.

Job wise I have an unswerving loyalty to my employer and just can’t see that they are taking advantage until too much time has passed for it to be put to a stop comfortably. I mean, I could kick up a fuss but by that time it looks like that situation as it stands is what’s normal. I am usually just so happy to have a job and I am so eager to show appreciation to an employer for giving me the chance to be productive that I literally do whatever it takes to make it work. That’s probably my downfall!

I know the situation could change in the future if I would stand up for myself and set boundaries and speak up at appropriate moments, therein lies the rub though, because if I could do all that I wouldn’t be aspergical and here getting advice from fellow aspies ; ]

I suppose I can be as disappointed as I like but it all comes down to the basis of all interaction, which is that people at their core will always look out for #1, to take into consideration the needs of another individual is probably what it means to fail in business. In order to stay in business a person will step on toes and the easier that is then I suppose, the better, so Aspergers aside, I would still work the same way and still be taken for a ride!

If you have a job, have you had to hide that you?re an aspie?

I haven't necessarily had to hide the fact that I'm an Aspie/PDD-NOS--but there has been one time when it has gotten me into a whole heap of trouble --

I was working at Walgreen's, and was stocking shelves. . . totally focused on my task, almost completely oblivious to the world around me. . . until the customer came up and asked for something. First, I jumped, then I snapped, and my response came out very rude. Well, as you can imagine, I wound up being called on the carpet to the substitute store manager (the real store manager had just had a baby, and was on maternity leave.) I explained the situation, and the Asperger's/PDD-NOS that I thought I had. He understood, and made adjustments to my duties to try and help me. . . but what really threw me for a loop was later that day when he asked, "Were you hydrocephalic as a baby?" I remember thinking, Okay...that was a pitch outta left field that I hadn't expected! But I told him that I was, but that it was the injury type as opposed to the birth defect, and asked him why he had asked me that -- it turned out that his son has the birth defect form of hydrocephalus, and exhibits a lot of the same tendencies that I did (becoming rude when interrupted, focusing on tasks almost to the exclusion of the rest of the world, etc.), so he understood where I was coming from. (Thank goodness.)

1. Can you get/ hold a job if you?re known to be aspergical?
2. Is it easier to get/ hold a job based on your obsession?
3. If you have a job, have you had to hide that you?re an aspie?
4. If you where entering the job market, would you tell?
5. Could you allow yourself to be classed as "handicapped" or "special needs" if it meant getting a job?
6. Is anyone's boss here given incentive to have you on staff?

1. To my information, in this country, no... well, not totally black and white, it's not impossible, however, if you're being marked as disabled they'll look for matching jobs that fit your "handicap". And since over 90% of all companies nowadays go through job agencies, it's hard to just apply directly at a company now. Those agencies keep a file, a record if you will, on where you worked, and if you didn't keep a job, they probably have information (which they will not share with you) on why you don't have a job anymore. That makes it "easy" for them to not send you all over and make them look bad cause you're a bad candidate supposedly.

2. I think it's easier to hold a job based on your obsession, however, that only applies to aspies who have a A. marketable obsession and B. a steady obsession. I'm prone to swing from one obsession to the next and hate the previous one with a vengeance. I once told it on this board somewhere; When I was attending university studying computer science, I dropped out only to abandon any computer use for 2 weeks... and for the past 5 years since I've dropped out of journalism school I rarely watch news nor touch newspapers. To me an obsession can turn into an intense hatred or trauma I guess... but that's not with everyone.

3. I haven't held a job where I had an official diagnosis, so I just was myself... that probably went sour here or there. Yes, I've heard people tell me "act more sensible/responsible"... I never gotten into arguments about what that actually would be... but that's been a few years already... if I get into those now, I'm sure that I'll open up a proverbial can of erm... "definitions" and "expectations" for them... which in the end will get me fired. I don't mind, as long as I keep those people from sleeping well and wondering about how they can't assume everyone is the same. Sometimes I feel that's my job, not the labour of shelving boxes.

4. If I were entering the job market now.. yes I would tell. It's somewhat of a law as well as an insurrance policy for myself. If I don't tell and something goes wrong which could be attributed to my disability, then I'm to blame, especially if they found out I didn't tell them my "issues".The other side of the coin obviously is that job centers want you to shut up because that'll make their job harder... but hey, you only have a 9 to 5 job, it's a job living with myself 24/7... so quit whining that me having "special needs" is a problem.

5. Yes, I could, especially if they're so adamant of having everyone employed. If employers wouldn't be that jaded towards employing anyone, and just want "the best" (which obviously is understandable), then I feel some support in a way should be there. But in that way, it's how disability income works here. If it's more expensive to get you employed by means of counseling, guidance and support, you're deemed "80 to 100% disabled". That doesn't mean such a person can't work, but legal means, as in... being coached or trained for a job will cost them too much. If you can land a job on the side to earn something extra, by all means, you're allowed to (as long as you pay taxes and all). Yet that also means that such people can somewhat make it on their own a bit better. Maybe I can't work in a "normal" company, but I could run my own company, selling... antique camera's for example... the way you handle that work does weigh in, in how you can function, thus stating "you can sell.. you can work in a shop" doesn't apply... running my own online business from home means I have flexible hours that suit me, I don't have to get out, I have minimal physical interaction and I have peace and quiet. With that also comes, say my enterprise fails... but I started it to have a job and income, because I can't get a regular job cause of my disability, you're still "entitled" to disability money, because employing you cause you are now unemployed is a different deal. Of course they will reconsider you're situation every X years.

6. Since I haven't had that deal, no. I do recall a situation with a supervisor of mine. He served in the army for 11 years (and spent half his carreer in the middle east or so) and got a discharge when he was 32. The company I worked for got an incentive from the government to hire him, and train him for a "normal" job, that didn't require him yelling at people and being the officer that he was. I can see how people like him need to get back in to society as well... I just felt it didn't really work out, lol... or it was just that I never mix with alpha males, especially not if on top of them being alpha, they're also my boss, as well as someone who has nothing but experience as a boss and expects people to say yes all day.

I have read this thread like four or five times now because I wanted to respond and yet was finding that I didn't have the words to. So finally I think I have some words to say on this. I have never told anyone at my job. In the Untied States and in my state we don't have to disclose that kind of thing. It can be helpful but you don't have to. At the time I was hired 11yrs ago I was not diagnosed and have only told a few people at work that know me really well. I don't hide it I am me have been since I started years ago. I haven't changed much. I've just gotten older. I find that for the most part I don't have issues and what issues I do have are taken seriously.

When i am getting interviews I don't tell them about the AS because they are most often more interested in the visual impairment that I have so. I just talk to them about that and usually that is enough to turn them off of me. But because I can't prove that...shrugs. So I think I have said my peace on this.

I have read this thread like four or five times now because I wanted to respond and yet was finding that I didn't have the words to. So finally I think I have some words to say on this. I have never told anyone at my job. In the Untied States and in my state we don't have to disclose that kind of thing. It can be helpful but you don't have to. At the time I was hired 11yrs ago I was not diagnosed and have only told a few people at work that know me really well. I don't hide it I am me have been since I started years ago. I haven't changed much. I've just gotten older. I find that for the most part I don't have issues and what issues I do have are taken seriously.

When i am getting interviews I don't tell them about the AS because they are most often more interested in the visual impairment that I have so. I just talk to them about that and usually that is enough to turn them off of me. But because I can't prove that...shrugs. So I think I have said my peace on this.

But in a way explaining your visual impairment in regards to a new job is somewhat the same as telling them about AS I think. Don't get me wrong, but I think employers do look at it black and white and just think any impairment be it a physical thing or a psychological thing, isn't really desired.

Also, do you tell them about your bad sight? Why? Because it might be a problem at some jobs?

Also, what I'm wondering... is a physical impairment less of a taboo, opposed to something like autism as a psychological condition/

But in a way explaining your visual impairment in regards to a new job is somewhat the same as telling them about AS I think. Don't get me wrong, but I think employers do look at it black and white and just think any impairment be it a physical thing or a psychological thing, isn't really desired.

Also, do you tell them about your bad sight? Why? Because it might be a problem at some jobs?

Also, what I'm wondering... is a physical impairment less of a taboo, opposed to something like autism as a psychological condition/

Personally I don't think so. But the reason I tell them is because there are going to be physical things that I can't do like driving or the fact that I walk into stuff a lot. Plus I have to have computer settings at a certain level usually. So to me its problem at all jobs. They have to make accommodations for you. Meh I think of my AS as part of me. Take me or leave me. I don't find that I need or want people to know unless I really think its gonna be a problem But here we don't have to disclose.

I don't know if it is less of taboo I just don't think for me personally its a necessary evil to disclose. But for some it might be. I tend to come off as the weird little geeky vampire girl who doesn't like sun light and has food allergies. I honestly think that in some places it might be more taboo to discuss mental health/disorders. But for me its more a personal choice not one that I feel is imposed on me in anyway.

@cheetoe80

I get called lazy by my parents because it's so hard for me to find a job. They don't understand aspie very well though. I need to find a job suitable to me because if I get a job with lots of people (knowing my depression, anxiety attacks and stress).. I'll probably break down or lose the job anyway because I'd be slow and get confused. I love animals and know I'll do well in the animal industry. Like a veterinary assistant or a kennel hand. I had an appointment with Centrelink today, went in and told them I need to be assessed for a disability pension and for a job rate capacity assessment. Ugh life for me is difficult.

@Becky,

I can relate. If I had a dollar for every time my mother has called me "lazy" because I've had such a hard time finding a job...then I probably wouldn't need a job to begin with!! :) Like you, I have problems dealing with people (as evidenced by the fact that every job I've ever had, I've been fired from, mostly due to performance issues), and most of the jobs I've had have been jobs where I've dealt heavily (as opposed to "well") with people. I get overloaded, or over-stimulated, and then BOOM, I lose it. (My temper.) I probably need to be assessed for disability, too. :)

@Becky,

I can relate. If I had a dollar for every time my mother has called me "lazy" because I've had such a hard time finding a job...then I probably wouldn't need a job to begin with!! :) Like you, I have problems dealing with people (as evidenced by the fact that every job I've ever had, I've been fired from, mostly due to performance issues), and most of the jobs I've had have been jobs where I've dealt heavily (as opposed to "well") with people. I get overloaded, or over-stimulated, and then BOOM, I lose it. (My temper.) I probably need to be assessed for disability, too. :)

I would like to should the government and the people around me that it is SOOOO hard to get any job say working in woolworths. I wouldn't be able to do it. The whole swiping the barcodes and talking to people is just going to be so difficult for me. And I always seem to get into some sort of routine.. It's so hard.

New Threads

Top Bottom