• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

irrational fears

Saragrl

I saw another post on the fears subject just before posting this. I do not mean to derail that thread. I am anxiously waiting for my evaluation results, but as the doc brought ADD out straight away I worry I will be miss diagnosed again. These last couple days I have been thinking on my childhood of events that would be more tied to Aspergers then ADD.

Again I am looking for past irrational fears, on a phobia level

My question is, do any of you have memories or knowledge of having an irrational fear? Like many kids I was afraid of thunder, but to the extent I hide under a table and even wet myself. The dark, if you shut me in a dark room I would freak out worse then the kid in the sixth sense.

The biggest one though around age 6 I pretty much over night became afraid of wind. Even breezy days I remember breaking down if I needed to go outside. I remember in kindergarten one day it got windy out before recess, when the door opened and I saw it I totally shut down and they could not move me and my mother had to come pick me up.

I don't see a child with ADD being like that. Obviously there is much more about my childhood that does not fit ADD. Just that this one seems to have stuck out as not normal.

I have this absolutely terrorizing fear of my teeth breaking, or coming loose. I try not to, but sometimes I fidget with them, and then I convince myself I can feel a wobble, and then I get a full blown panic attack.

I have nightmares about it too, fairly frequently (lately every week or so). And any time I see a video or hear people speak of dental injuries or mishaps, I freak.

Though maybe this doesn't count because its not a very irrational fear!!

hello there, YES I have had some irrational (and weird) fears when I was younger

SOLAR ECLIPSES

this one was the result of a newscast showing an eclipse and making it really big (zoomed in on it with camera) during diamond ring effect, it was back in May 1991 (i think) then I seen some cartoons depicting eclipses taking place and a black disk covering the son. so in my mind back then I was going to go outside and see a huge black disk covering the sun and I would go blind if outside during the eclipse. well, it scared me soo bad I refused to go outside for recess that day. cracks me up now that I think of it, as I now have a far better understanding of the solar events and what happens during them.

it wasn't until about 12 or 13 years old when I was finally brave enough to want to watch en eclipse (the safe way, with a number 14 (darkness) welding lens.

AUTOMATIC DOORS

this one started in kindergarten where I went to a special needs elementary school that used the pressure mat type of sliding doors, well, was partially my fault, we were having a parade (celebration of first day of kindergarten) and I followed a wheelchair user too closely with a tricycle I was riding the doors detected the wheelchair but not me, (one reason why they no longer use pressure mats(Stanley "magic carpet") for Stanley sliding or swinging automatic doors!) and well, they came closing on the back wheels of the tricycle and it felt scary as I was held from moving then I screamed, after this (for about 4 years) I would fear going to the grocery store in case same thing happened (get attacked by the automatic door)

got over both fears and now laugh when I think of them, now when there's an eclipse, I like to watch it (safely) and when I go to a new place (new to me) I like to see the sliding or automatic door (old ones I like to hear the loud HUMM noise they make when opening)

AUTOMATIC DOORS

this one started in kindergarten where I went to a special needs elementary school that used the pressure mat type of sliding doors, well, was partially my fault, we were having a parade (celebration of first day of kindergarten) and I followed a wheelchair user too closely with a tricycle I was riding the doors detected the wheelchair but not me, (one reason why they no longer use pressure mats(Stanley "magic carpet") for Stanley sliding or swinging automatic doors!) and well, they came closing on the back wheels of the tricycle and it felt scary as I was held from moving then I screamed, after this (for about 4 years) I would fear going to the grocery store in case same thing happened (get attacked by the automatic door)

got over both fears and now laugh when I think of them, now when there's an eclipse, I like to watch it (safely) and when I go to a new place (new to me) I like to see the sliding or automatic door (old ones I like to hear the loud HUMM noise they make when opening)

Yup scary stuff. For me it was escalators, I was so afraid if I did not step off in time it would suck me in and eat me.

I have a few myself

Elevators--I've managed to control this fear by shutting it out for the most part. This is a problem for me because I use a wheelchair to get around, so I use elevators a LOT. Sometimes when I get into them my mind plays images of the cables breaking and the elevator plummeting to (my) death.

Poison--I'm allergic to...I believe five medications, all of which I found out about by having reactions, several of which I can remember quite well and one of which was earlier this year (that one was just a bad rash that some at-home Benodryl cleared up). I get shivers just thinking about breaking out in those kind of rashes, and the thought of my throat closing can leave me paralyzed with fear when I'm perfectly safe. Again, I manage this one by mostly not thinking about it, as it's not a problem I come into contact with often :D

~Rachel

Yup scary stuff. For me it was escalators, I was so afraid if I did not step off in time it would suck me in and eat me.

Me too, Saragirl! I'm better than I was but I'm still cautious when using them - particularly some modern ones which don't have a flattened area to get on..

New Threads

Top Bottom