• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction

dfuster

Hey everybody,

I am new to this forum so I am not really sure as to how it really works... So some guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I am under the assumption that I am supposed to introduce myself, being a new member and all. Well, my name is Daniel. I am 29 years old and was just diagnosed with having Asperger's Syndrome.

So I am in the process of trying to figure out a way to live life appropriately. Ever since the diagnosis, I cant stop thinking about it, and in a way; it kind of bothers me. Despite the fact that I know things have to change, I do not know where to even start. And honestly, a part of me does not want to make that change because I have been this way for 29 years. I always thought that I had a series of different ailments, but all in all, it ended up being that I only had this. Now please note that I see a therapist and I see a psychiatrist that pumps me full of various medications (BLAH). So I am not here looking for an online therapist. What I AM looking for are powers of example. I want to be able to IDENTIFY with other people and understand what they have gone through. I want to read up on how they handled the problem so that maybe, I can trying handling a similar problem in a simmer manner. This forum may actually help me become a better person.

I have been fired from several jobs because of my interpersonal flaws. My work ethic is phenomenal, but everything else is a wreck. My recent work disaster was the worst. I had a very important position with the New York City government and an event happened that is quite nonsensical. I have very few friends. I have been in relationships (Which Usually I mess up some way or another ((without cheating)).And I do have a history of alcohol abuse, which I am going to AA meetings for.

Now the last and most important thing, It is impossible for me to read social cues because I am indeed legally blind/visualy impaired .

So thats about i.

Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to AC. :)

You have come to a great place. I've met many wonderful people here and feel I can discuss anything and get honest, thoughtful feedback and examples. AC is also a useful place to just read others' words; there's no requirement to respond. Sometimes when we're in dark places, just reading other people's thoughts is helpful.

If you have specific problems you want others to respond to, such as how they dealt with a particular situation, feel free to go ahead and start a thread on the topic. :)

I hope you find the comfort and strategies you are looking for. :herb:

Welcome, Dan! It can be overwhelming at first to try to reassess your life in the context of a new diagnosis. But there are so many people here with interesting perspectives, I hope you will find some that are relatable.

Maybe this is the beginning of a new way forward for you. I hope that is so.

Hi Daniel. It's a lot to think about when you finally have a diagnosis. I was kind of excited when I discovered I was an aspie because then I could look back at things that had happened and now understand why.

I am 46 now and life seems to have gotten easier as I got older. Hopefully yours will too.

Hang out on this forum and these people will help and inspire you more than you can imagine. You are not alone. There are thousands more that can relate to what you are going through.

Best of luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom