• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interpreting Things Literally

total-recoil

This is the one item on the aspie list I always figure I don't have, i.e. literal interpretation. Thus, if someone told me I was "barking up the wrong tree", I assure you I would fully understand this is an idiom that means "drawing the wrong conclusion".
However, what I do notice about myself is I require detailed, exact, specific information to be able to understand something. Like the other day I was reading about the effects of a magnetic field and the book stated "this causes the shaft to rotate in an anticlockwise direction". Then, as the explanation progressed, it read, "the shaft continues to rotate in a clockwise direction". This, threw me totally. I don't know what the rest of you think but, in the above, the words "continues to rotate" and "clockwise" indicate there was clockwise rotation at some point before yet the only prior indication of direction was specified as "anticlockwise", not clockwise. So, the term "continues to rotate" baffled me. Personally I think the book is just wrong and the writer made a mistake and I don't see my need for requiring specific information as defective. However, the fact I do need accurate facts and can't seem to guess my way around these explanations may indicate this is what the literal stuff is based upon.
Any of you folks relate to the need the accurate explanations and anyone not understand idioms and may take an idiom literally?

I find my self telling people on the spectrum to try to "put yourself is someone else's shoes" and quite frequently they know what I mean...but the problem is actually seeing someone else's point of view. Some people might confuse that as not being able to understand an idiom. I take it as not being specific enough. So I go on to say "Imagine you are Fred, and his dog just died, and he loved his dog more than anything in the world. How would you feel if you were Fred?" Stupid example, but it explains the initial question in a lot more detail that I feel is needed when having a discussion with someone who needs detailed literal interpretation.

This is one of the most frequently misunderstood aspects of Aspergers. I assure you, every Aspie on this site can understand idioms such as "raining cats and dogs" and "his heart on his sleeve." When we take things literally, it is in a more subtle way. Some of the members of this site have written little anecdotes about this trait in other threads.
The idea of Aspies taking things literally is itself taken too literally.

I understand the meaning of a lot of idioms. Some of them don't really make much sense though. I agree with Ste11aeres about taking things literally in other more subtle ways. I have worked for several years with a few people who use sarcasm quite a lot so I have a good understanding of it. But an Aspie friend doesn't get sarcasm at all, so I need to be really careful when using sarcasm in his presence. I work in quality management in a medical pathology laboratory. When I interpret the standards that we have to comply with, I do so very literally. When I write work procedures or reports, the language used is concise and unambiguous.

I tend to get the more over-the-top idioms like "raining cats and dogs" and such. It's some of the somewhat more plausible and obscure ones that do get me.

And I generally have to actively think about sarcasm or I take it wrong - at least initially.

I hate when people use words like "certain" or "definitely" or this "will" happen, when there's a possibility, big or small, that it won't. They're basically stating a lie, something that's just false, and I hate it.

I hate when people use words like "certain" or "definitely" or this "will" happen, when there's a possibility, big or small, that it won't. They're basically stating a lie, something that's just false, and I hate it.

I totally understand that you hate it...but can you put into words exactly why? I am just curious.

I totally understand that you hate it...but can you put into words exactly why? I am just curious.

I said why in my original post, if you didn't read properly. I said they're stating something that's false. That's why I hate it.

I said why in my original post, if you didn't read properly. I said they're stating something that's false. That's why I hate it.

No no no, I get that. But why does that bother you? For instance, I hate it when I'm at the gym and a big puffy dude is lifting a 10lb weight and grunting like it's 100lbs, and I can lift the 30lb weight doing the same move without grunting at all. I hate it because if I can do it, and that big dude can't, then he's being dramatic, acting fake, and I don't necessarily care that he is that way, but it would bother me if I was like him myself.

So I was just asking for a more specific answer.

No no no, I get that. But why does that bother you? For instance, I hate it when I'm at the gym and a big puffy dude is lifting a 10lb weight and grunting like it's 100lbs, and I can lift the 30lb weight doing the same move without grunting at all. I hate it because if I can do it, and that big dude can't, then he's being dramatic, acting fake, and I don't necessarily care that he is that way, but it would bother me if I was like him myself.

So I was just asking for a more specific answer.

I just hate people stating false things, when they could state it correctly. It's just incorrect.

It can be hard for me to tell when people are serious or pulling my leg (not literally ;)). When I was young I used to get really angry with the kid next door when he accused me of eating my apple core. I knew he was wrong, and it just burned me up that he would say that about me. I am sure he only said it because of the way I reacted, but I didn't get that at the time.

Even as an adult people will say something in teasing and I believe them. When I think about it later it should have been obvious that they were joking, because what they said was so absurd, but at the time I didn't get it. I remember an incident a year or two ago, but I don't remember the details. I was asking for something in a store, and the salesman said, "You can't do that." I believed him, even though I was asking for something very sensible. He had to tell me he wasn't serious.

I just hate people stating false things, when they could state it correctly. It's just incorrect.

The reason I'm still talking about this is because I'm really trying to understand, so please don't get annoyed with me.

It just seems to me that hate is a strong word/emotion for something as meaningless (meaningless to me, maybe not to others) as someone getting the facts wrong. I tend to reserve hate for someone who has hurt me physically, or mentally, or caused some sort of harm to someone I care about. To hate a human error, not intended to hurt or cause problems, a mistake, just seems extreme based on the simple and to the point explanation you gave. Is it possible that there is a little more to it? For example, do you hate it because you perhaps like to be perfect yourself, and when something is imperfect it may mess up the perfection you enjoy surrounding yourself with? I don't know, I'm just asking or theorizing a possible answer. Because that kind of answer would make more sense to me.

I struggle with literal interpretation. I actually don't always get the idioms that people say. They always have to draw me a road map per se. Like for me. I didn't realize people are joking with me or making fun of me in a good way like joking I wasn't some where when I was helping another customer. I got upset thinking he was being serious when he explained he was joking I smiled and said sorry again reminding that I don't get things I know part of it is AS, Part of it is NVLD and part of it is that I just can't see worth crap and its difficult for me to distinguish body language at all (especially on the face). I don't care for people using the I will do this or that or most defiantly (it bothers me) but I don't hate people for it. I just tell those people not to use that language with me because I will get upset if it doesn't happen. A promise to do something like be online at a certain time make me meltdown if it doesn't happen. I believe when people say they are gonna do something on a certain day and time they will do it (that doesn't mean I haven't had issues with that not happening and things) but yah it is hard to be in a literal world when others aren't the same.

The reason I'm still talking about this is because I'm really trying to understand, so please don't get annoyed with me.

It just seems to me that hate is a strong word/emotion for something as meaningless (meaningless to me, maybe not to others) as someone getting the facts wrong. I tend to reserve hate for someone who has hurt me physically, or mentally, or caused some sort of harm to someone I care about. To hate a human error, not intended to hurt or cause problems, a mistake, just seems extreme based on the simple and to the point explanation you gave. Is it possible that there is a little more to it? For example, do you hate it because you perhaps like to be perfect yourself, and when something is imperfect it may mess up the perfection you enjoy surrounding yourself with? I don't know, I'm just asking or theorizing a possible answer. Because that kind of answer would make more sense to me.

You are very different to me. I don't like to be perfect, I'm not anyway, and neither is anyone. I can't explain it further, so they only explanation I can give you is I don't know. I don't know why it annoys me. It just gets on my nerves. Bad grammar does too.

And there aren't many people I "care" about, after all, I don't feel empathy, so hating for that reason wouldn't apply to me. As I said, you seem to be very different to me.

It just seems to me that hate is a strong word/emotion for something as meaningless (meaningless to me, maybe not to others) as someone getting the facts wrong.

When you're a defendant in a court case and a witness gets the facts wrong, I wonder if you will still view honesty as meaningless? How can you begin to trust anyone who plays fast and loose with the truth? Honesty is a big deal in all aspects of life. I make decisions every day based on history, risk and the facts. I don't have any time for people who exaggerate because they have little regard for honesty and integrity.

I think I do understand where SUM1 is coming from... and while I wouldn't use the word hate. Especially in a thread about "literal interpretation"... hate sounds strong.

In line with the discussion at hand between SUM1 and asnlifecoach... my dad once told me I did something wrong, to where I told him.. "myea, sorry.. but that happens"... to where he told me something along the lines that it never was an issue with him. Never to me sounds infinite. If you're making a statement about a nigh infinite descriptor, you better walk on your toes and... in fact, never, ever make this mistake. I'm not barbaric to call him out and tell him "off with his head!", but I find that some statements have too much weight to it, especially when it revolves around something like "time".

But apparently people use these words with the greatest ease. "I do it all the time"... oh, is that so? Can you prove that? Can you prove every single instance and provide me with a witness that can vouch that every time you're involved in that predicament, that you will in fact have done this... and will do this in the future, no matter the situation. How can you use this word with such certainty.

Yes... maybe my example is a bit more extreme... but I can totally see where SUM1 is coming from (I think; unless I misunderstood the entire thing, lol... which CAN happen)

Well I don't have this problem with words, such as "I will do it". I understand that even I could say that and, at the time, not feel the mood to do it. But I always avoid using it. I'd rather say "I'll try".

This literal interpretation of things always made me wonder if I was really aspie, because I learned english basically translating musics, and musics are full of second interpretations, which I always tried to find out. Some times I think hard to guess, but once I learn it, I don't forget. Things like "water under the bridge" really drives me nuts, because it's impossible to guess unless someone tell you the meaning.

What I can notice in myself is that sometimes I read the words and care more about the syntax than semantics. I always found easy to construct and read complex phrases that are hard for some people to follow, even when I'm using the Portuguese rules correctly. I remember that once, during a Portuguese class where the teacher asked us to write a text about something, my teacher said I was using the subject and object in the grammar incorrectly, even though I knew I was right. After I showed her exactly what the object and subject were, she said I should make smaller phrases cause I could easily get lost. At the time, I really wanted to say something like "I'm not dumb", but she could think I was offending her...

My point is: there is a huge difference about having trouble to understand people's intentions while they're speaking (like sarcasm) and words' meaning. I don't think I have trouble with meaning when I'm reading.

Last edited:
You are very different to me. I don't like to be perfect, I'm not anyway, and neither is anyone. I can't explain it further, so they only explanation I can give you is I don't know. I don't know why it annoys me. It just gets on my nerves. Bad grammar does too.

And there aren't many people I "care" about, after all, I don't feel empathy, so hating for that reason wouldn't apply to me. As I said, you seem to be very different to me.

We are very different, but also very alike. It is okay for us to be different, but I have always believed that we don't have to be like each other...we only have to make an effort to understand each other. There are lots of things I can learn from you, such as the importance of being accurate with my facts and honest with my word. The importance of having good grammar. You could also learn from me, if you chose to do so, and you have by engaging in this conversation with me. It made you think, and even though you came to "I don't know" you still took time to think about it further and that is a wonderful thing.

I believe we can all better ourselves, assimilate each other's ways into our own to make us stronger. I never want to accept the fact that I'm a certain way and that's it. I always want to add to it, because if I stop changing then I stop growing.

I think I do understand where SUM1 is coming from... and while I wouldn't use the word hate. Especially in a thread about "literal interpretation"... hate sounds strong.

In line with the discussion at hand between SUM1 and asnlifecoach... my dad once told me I did something wrong, to where I told him.. "myea, sorry.. but that happens"... to where he told me something along the lines that it never was an issue with him. Never to me sounds infinite. If you're making a statement about a nigh infinite descriptor, you better walk on your toes and... in fact, never, ever make this mistake. I'm not barbaric to call him out and tell him "off with his head!", but I find that some statements have too much weight to it, especially when it revolves around something like "time".

But apparently people use these words with the greatest ease. "I do it all the time"... oh, is that so? Can you prove that? Can you prove every single instance and provide me with a witness that can vouch that every time you're involved in that predicament, that you will in fact have done this... and will do this in the future, no matter the situation. How can you use this word with such certainty.

Yes... maybe my example is a bit more extreme... but I can totally see where SUM1 is coming from (I think; unless I misunderstood the entire thing, lol... which CAN happen)

I believe I am understanding where SUM1 is coming from too, I was just attempting to show my differing view, how my mind works, and why it works that way. I wanted SUM1 to think about exactly why he does or feels things. Self-awareness is important and helpful in understanding others. If we don't understand ourselves first, (at least in part) there is no way we'll be able to understand another person. :)

I need specific information to understand a concept. I recall once totally blowing a fuse as I had spent ages filling in a job application and finally a personality test. One question read: "I value above all things authority" (agree or disagree). I was forced to tick disagree and immediately got a pop-up message saying, "Thank you for applying but you didn't pass the recruitment criteria". I went ballistic. I even wrote a lengthy, philosophical analysis of abstract nouns and concepts to the head office and suggested whoever had programmed their "test" should get educated before constructing absurd questions. For example, was authority in Nazi Germany to be valued above all things, given the Germans at that time were so led astray by authoritarianism, they put their trust in extremism? And I stood by my explanation that my answer had been correct. I got no response.
I should add that like most of you, though, I don't understand hidden language. In dating, I am clueless if a girl tries to be hard to get as I just assume she isn't interested.

Well I don't have this problem with words, such as "I will do it". I understand that even I could say that and, at the time, not feel the mood to do it. But I always avoid using it. I'd rather say "I'll try".

This literal interpretation of things always made me wonder if I was really aspie, because I learned english basically translating musics, and musics are full of second interpretations, which I always tried to find out. Some times I think hard to guess, but once I learn it, I don't forget. Things like "water under the bridge" really drives me nuts, because it's impossible to guess unless someone tell you the meaning.

What I can notice in myself is that sometimes I read the words and care more about the syntax than semantics. I always found easy to construct and read complex phrases that are hard for some people to follow, even when I'm using the Portuguese rules correctly. I remember that once, during a Portuguese class where the teacher asked us to write a text about something, my teacher said I was using the subject and object in the grammar incorrectly, even though I knew I was right. After I showed her exactly what the object and subject were, she said I should make smaller phrases cause I could easily get lost. At the time, I really wanted to say something like "I'm not dumb", but she could think I was offending her...

My point is: there is a huge difference about having trouble to understand people's intentions while they're speaking (like sarcasm) and words' meaning. I don't think I have trouble with meaning when I'm reading.

New Threads

Top Bottom