• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*insert interesting subject title here*

square_peg

Hi everyone..

I'm doing this a bit backwards I think.. I've replied to a few existing threads before coming here and introducing myself.

Anyhow, I'm a 31 year old Australian female with a long string of diagnoses (Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, OCD, ED) before last year Aspergers finally came up. Had an official diagnosis for AS given about a month ago.

I'm in a long term, same sex, relationship with an NT (9 years this year) and we have an 18 month old daughter.

This dx has been extremely helpful for us to understand why I do the things I do (avoid or struggle with social gatherings, say odd things, have obsessions, struggle a lot with attention to things I'm not interested in and showing empathy.. to name a few).

I've really enjoyed this site so far.. I'm very interested in learning I'm not the only one who does the things I do.

That's all for now :)

Thanks for reading this.

There's no such thing as backwards here. :)

Many people get started here by posting in threads before formally introducing themselves.

That's alright, welcome aboard anyway :)

Hope you're finding the site alright so far.

Hi :) I'm a kiwi but live in Aussie, diagnosed at 34. Grand to meet you :)

Likewise, Sass.. Where abouts in this lovely country do you live?

Did you feel any particular way about being diagnosed so late (late meaning post-childhood)? I felt a bit angry and ripped off (that it was missed in school and I was therefore left to struggle through) and a bit skeptical. Okay about it now though, for the most part. I have my days..

Likewise, Sass.. Where abouts in this lovely country do you live?

Did you feel any particular way about being diagnosed so late (late meaning post-childhood)? I felt a bit angry and ripped off (that it was missed in school and I was therefore left to struggle through) and a bit skeptical. Okay about it now though, for the most part. I have my days..

I'm in Melbourne, well, the 'burbs of Melbourne anyway. I'm pretty newly diagnosed, and for me, looking back has got me into a grieving process of sorts (oh the things I could have done, or not done, had I known etc etc). I think other people are having more trouble with me since my diagnosis than I am, I'm re-examining why I do things, if it's for me or to make other people happy, and cutting some of things I only did in the past to fit in. I'm writing an article about it at the moment, my favourite quote being: Other people’s solitude has a funny way of making people uncomfortable.

Certainly since my diagnosis it has made me more aware of how much thinking and effort goes into day to day encounters.. To make sure I'm proper, polite, not too quiet, not too talkative.. So sometimes I give myself permission now to just 'be'. It's much more relaxing and quite fun too :)

Hi there! :) another AS newbie.. From what I've seen on this forum so far, it's definitely not unusual to be newly diagnosed.

looking back has got me into a grieving process of sorts (oh the things I could have done, or not done, had I known etc etc)...I'm re-examining why I do things, if it's for me or to make other people happy, and cutting some of things I only did in the past to fit in. I'm writing an article about it at the moment, my favourite quote being: Other people’s solitude has a funny way of making people uncomfortable.
Now, that I can totally relate to!!! I still find it stressful and near impossible to "get myself back out there" to try again at practicing truly being myself around others...I've made a few small steps (like volunteering at an animal shelter, those people have been nice to me thus far...but it's socializing with the dogs and cats that I look forward to most!) just to name one of those steps. My mind keeps tumbling around all of those past experiences, before I knew why I was different, and often lands on how easily I would get used (because I felt like I had to be a constant "people pleaser" just to have "friends)!" And when I "bucked up" and tried my hardest to be confident with optimism...I think I came across as a cocky ***hole (without that being my intent at all!) Then there were the other times when my defense mechanism was to be the funny, wild and (maybe artificially?) outgoing guy to such an extent that I would allow others the opportunity to laugh at me...at least then it seemed I was making them happy, but an Aspie like me can only maintain that level of energy for so long until..yep, the trapped feeling of knowing I'm headed for a "meltdown" (I know these terms now that I've done quite a bit of research on my diagnosis! :) ) I use to think it was just depression I was dealing with, or maybe some kind of bipolar...but now, looking back all signs point directly to Aspergers...and from here on I'm challenged with the task of finally finding my true self and being at peace with who I discover him to be!

How can you tell a meltdown is coming? If I could just pinpoint that I could probably avoid a lot of conflict.

How can you tell a meltdown is coming? If I could just pinpoint that I could probably avoid a lot of conflict.

It's funny you post that. I read it earlier and thought 'hmmm, I wonder if it would be possible to chart it', and then a few hours later I had a massive meltdown/panic attack, the first really bad one in years. I don't think I could ever have predicted it, if I could have I wouldn't have left the house.

I hope the thought didn't bring it on I'm sorry if it did. I've just realized what they are and that they aren't just me being crazy. I just really wish I could gain some control of this.

New Threads

Top Bottom