• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm OK when I walk my dog in a local park.

Aspieistj

I avoid contact with people whenever possible, but because my dog LOVES to walk in the park, I frequently speak to people to whom I would never speak except for our dogs eagerly greeting each other. I don't think I am at all offensive as I make small talk with a diverse group of people, many of whom I assume are NTs. As I approach I always shorten my dogs lead and call out that she is extremely friendly, but also very energetic. Owners of very small dogs occasionally pick up their tiny pooches and walk past but most respond by saying their dog is friendly and we can let our dogs meet. I always move away from anyone with very little children and if a jogger approaches I grasp my dog by her collar because I know she will want to jump up on the jogger. Some joggers are nice enough to say thanks. For the rest of us the conversation is almost scripted. Hi, my dog is friendly,pet's name, and then discuss age, neutered vs. intact, breed, whether or not adopted, and other very general and predictable topics. I have prosopagnosia and seldom recognize owners but I almost always recognize their dogs. Today, the tables were turned. I had just put my dog into her crate in the back of my car and got into the driver's seat when an older lady approached with a very little black dog. My window was open and I said, "Hello Molly" to her dog. The owner looked a little unsure of herself and I motioned to the crate in the back and said I had just walked Sarah. Then, the lady recognized me. People who walk dogs in a very public place seem to be quite friendly, willing to chat for a moment, and then to move on before I can say anything to annoy them.

I can relate.

I also usually avoid human contact as much as I can, but I guess I have a lot of common with the people in dog park! It's easier to talk and it's more interesting that the usual chit-chat. Too bad my dog has long fur, so baths take A LOT of time...

Dogs are really social creatures, they are pack animals after all, so being sociall is a big must for them. Its so cool because, even though im sure your dog isnt a trained assistant dog, shes helping you out just by being herself- by dragging you out to the park and causing you to talk to people. My dog is the same way, he gives me confidence and provides a means for conversation, and though talking about him did feel kind of rehearsed at first, as i got more comfortable with it, i was able to deviate from just spouting the rehearsed lines to speaking more naturally. This was something really cool because it made me realize that, though socalizing will never be something that comes naturally or even easily, it is something that i can improve and get more comfortable with if i practice. Humans are social creatures too. And even if i feel like i messed up horribly in a social situation, i go home, see my dog, who doesnt care if im eloquently spoken but loves me anyways, and then i try again the next day. Everyone has quirks, it's no big deal. =)
Sorry, i know this was kind of an off topic rant, but it's just something that my own experience, which is similar to yours, showed me.

My dog is unfortunately not very friendly with other dogs, but she still many people will say hello or have a quick chat while out on a walk. She also has the annoying habit of escaping from the garden - especially when storms are around. She doesn't usually go very far - usually seeking friendly people who are outside. She has introduced me to many of my neighbours this way! Dogs provide such an easy topic to talk about. I also find I recognise many dogs before their I recognise their owners.

agree!

One more thing, I'd like to add???? Somehow, this ONE Day, I find myself walking by this office, oddly enough, this dude comes out of the door, (this all happens, way too fast!!!!) It seems like he approaches my dog first? ??? (without asking my permission??! my dog is an extension of "me" ! it is "mine"! isn't it totally polite,- routine, normal - to ask? first? if the dog is friendly????? I kinda want it to be my guard dog, right? single woman.....) mud everywhere. it seems like he approaches the dog first all "hey, puppy, hey baby," (reaches to pet the dog!!!!!!!!!!!) ARRRRGHhHH! Panic! I SCREAM "OH MY GOD!" "YOU'RE WEARING PANTS!" (I meant, Khakis, office attire, but it all happens so fast..... the dog is a little too jumpy...... adopted, not my fault, still working on training, but, ..... anyway.....)

it's actually a very hilarious thing to repeat, out of context..... "You're wearing pants!" (as opposed to the alternative? of dresses or naked??? HA HAHAHAHA ) my friend and I had a good laugh repeating this phrase the rest of the day..... I think I *might* have scared the poor dude, but it was actually, kind of, in front of bunches of offices, including the Autism society, so ...um..... hmm. ? I don't know. oh, and the Satanic Hair Stylist too. (only in college towns),.nervous giggles

(calms self down) ... sheepishly, I ask, does anyone else feel this way? ever?

You know, a grown man should really know better than to approach a dog he doesn't know. Add in the fact that it was muddy, he was wearing nice pants, and many dogs like to jump (this is common knowledge, no?). He really should have known better. I think your response was fairly logical! I'm trying to think what I might have yelled out. Probably something incoherent like, "Aargh, MUDDY MUDDY!"

New Threads

Top Bottom