• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm obviously new around here....

Codex

Hello,

I've been wanting to post here for a while, but have yet to have the courage until now. I'm self diagnosed Aspergers, but hoping to get an official diagnosis. My therapist is on board, but cannot give me a diagnosis herself.

I know this is something that I've been living with my whole life. It wasn't until it was laid out for me, until I really realized that there was an explanation for how chaotic my life has always felt. I've been "living with Aspergers" for about three months now. It's been a relief almost, being aware that situations might not be what I've always believed them to be. It's also extremely nerve racking because not many people know and I feel like I'm living two lives. I have really bad sensory issues. I stress myself out way too much. I also have a ridiculous memory, so I basically torture myself with "what should have been" and I can't shut it off. It stops my creative processes and that throws my entire balance of life off. It makes it hard to have any followthrough with anything.

I have a few close friends, who in all honesty aren't actually that close with me anymore. Not to the point that I can make my Aspergers struggles a concern of theirs, although, they are two of the handful of people who do actually know..I also have a small group of people I hang out with at things like bon fires and small get togethers and normally I end up having some sort of anxiety problems when with them. They obviously do not know. It almost always results in a meltdown of some sort afterwards as well and it really doesn't take much for those to spark lately in general. I don't really talk to anyone about what's going other than my therapist, but my insurance is getting cut off on the 1st and I won't be able to go to therapy anymore until I get it straightened out.

She recommended to me that I maybe find some friends in a similar situation. She also said that making online friends would be a lot less pressure on me socially and it would be a good transition. I'm not antisocial. I'm actually quite talkative and friendly. I'm just socially awkward sometimes and it creates an extreme amount of anxiety on me for some reason. I don't really have anything in common with my friends anymore and I think that is a lot of the problem. There has to be someone on here on my level, right? It'd be nice to interact with someone who actually understands what I've been living with.

I was just wondering if maybe this would be a good place to start?

You will probably find people here that could help I have the same problem in regards to relating to other people been a lifelong struggle for me aswell so I know how hard it can be.

Welcome aboard! This is a friendly and helpful community :)
image.jpg

Hi & welcome.

When you are closer to the mild end of the spectrum, it is hard to differentiate between what are typical emotional and mental issues and those that have an autistic influence. You also tend to not have all the textbook symptoms or tendencies. I imagine each person has their own way of processing the discovery (that they are on the spectrum), but figuring out which impulses were autism driven, and which were not, was important to my own coming to terms with it.

Hello,

I've been wanting to post here for a while, but have yet to have the courage until now. I'm self diagnosed Aspergers, but hoping to get an official diagnosis. My therapist is on board, but cannot give me a diagnosis herself.

I know this is something that I've been living with my whole life. It wasn't until it was laid out for me, until I really realized that there was an explanation for how chaotic my life has always felt. I've been "living with Aspergers" for about three months now. It's been a relief almost, being aware that situations might not be what I've always believed them to be. It's also extremely nerve racking because not many people know and I feel like I'm living two lives. I have really bad sensory issues. I stress myself out way too much. I also have a ridiculous memory, so I basically torture myself with "what should have been" and I can't shut it off. It stops my creative processes and that throws my entire balance of life off. It makes it hard to have any followthrough with anything.

I have a few close friends, who in all honesty aren't actually that close with me anymore. Not to the point that I can make my Aspergers struggles a concern of theirs, although, they are two of the handful of people who do actually know..I also have a small group of people I hang out with at things like bon fires and small get togethers and normally I end up having some sort of anxiety problems when with them. They obviously do not know. It almost always results in a meltdown of some sort afterwards as well and it really doesn't take much for those to spark lately in general. I don't really talk to anyone about what's going other than my therapist, but my insurance is getting cut off on the 1st and I won't be able to go to therapy anymore until I get it straightened out.

She recommended to me that I maybe find some friends in a similar situation. She also said that making online friends would be a lot less pressure on me socially and it would be a good transition. I'm not antisocial. I'm actually quite talkative and friendly. I'm just socially awkward sometimes and it creates an extreme amount of anxiety on me for some reason. I don't really have anything in common with my friends anymore and I think that is a lot of the problem. There has to be someone on here on my level, right? It'd be nice to interact with someone who actually understands what I've been living with.

I was just wondering if maybe this would be a good place to start?

yes I think you will find this an excellent and safe place to start
I have a group of "friends" from my uni days and we have just started going for a walk every week and I
come home afterwards and have a mini meltdown I find the whole experience overwhelming and I do not think I have a lot in common with them and totally relate to what you have said. Also I just do not see the need to see the same people that often- is that ok They do not really have a lot new from the week before to say but still need to talk for the whole walk
and find NT's often quite boring and talk too much about other people and trivia

G'day Codex, you've come to a good place for Aspies. There's lots of nice folk and some good resources. The water is lovely so come on in. :)

You will probably find people here that could help I have the same problem in regards to relating to other people been a lifelong struggle for me aswell so I know how hard it can be.

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one out there. Thanks for your response!

Have you seen a neuropsychiatrist? a,neuro can diagnose you. That was whom diagnosed me formally. talk to your psych about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom