• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm losing my wife

Why on Earth don’t you speak honestly, with the truth? Why do you go to a bachelor party like that? Why do you have those friends? Why do you talk to a drunk girl that for sure only wants to flirt? Why don’t you set up your priorities straight? Is your wife a priority, or is it the drunk girl, and those “friends” that pulled your pants down?

Sorry but I would second this! I mean it's not like you are experiencing uncontrollable meltdowns, I'm assuming that you voluntarily walked into the strip club!

So moving forward, you should probably distance yourself from these friends, they are not having a positive impact on your life. However, you won't be able to distance yourself from every situation that would annoy your wife, it is impossible. There will always be a moment when you post something that offends her or genuinely forget to tell her something because our short term memories are sporadic at best.

So my suggestion would be to work with her. Firstly, explain to her that she is your absolute top priority and you want to win her trust. Tell her that you won't be seeing those friends for a while and avoid bars. Then, let her track your location on your phone, give her your email and facebook password.

If you are reeling from any of this, then that's a problem. For example, if you don't want to give up your friends for her, then you are not putting her first. If you don't want her to know where you are, or you don't want her to have your passwords, then you are actually hiding something and she is right to not trust you.

But you need to make that choice and commit to it.

Thank you for responding and seeing it from her side. I tried to start it off showing it from her perspective, so that people could see her situation. I see that a lot of the responses here, being from others on the autism spectrum, are not able to see it from the other side. Someone that sees how bad this is, and how it looks to her is what I need. I have tried thinking about the situations in reverse, and seeing how it looks like you said. The one thing I need to know is can I ever make this right? Is there any way to move forward? Since you can see it from her side, I want to know what to do from here.

I can’t see the future:), but I’ll give you my opinion.
Talk to her honestly, say you are sorry, and acknowledge her pain. Life is made out of risks, talking to her takes courage because you don’t know what will happen. But in my opinion, if you opt to do nothing, your marriage will go down the drain, maybe not now, but eventually. So, in the long term, you have nothing to lose if you talk to her.

Sorry but I would second this! I mean it's not like you are experiencing uncontrollable meltdowns, I'm assuming that you voluntarily walked into the strip club!

So moving forward, you should probably distance yourself from these friends, they are not having a positive impact on your life. However, you won't be able to distance yourself from every situation that would annoy your wife, it is impossible. There will always be a moment when you post something that offends her or genuinely forget to tell her something because our short term memories are sporadic at best.

So my suggestion would be to work with her. Firstly, explain to her that she is your absolute top priority and you want to win her trust. Tell her that you won't be seeing those friends for a while and avoid bars. Then, let her track your location on your phone, give her your email and facebook password.

If you are reeling from any of this, then that's a problem. For example, if you don't want to give up your friends for her, then you are not putting her first. If you don't want her to know where you are, or you don't want her to have your passwords, then you are actually hiding something and she is right to not trust you.

But you need to make that choice and commit to it.

I have no problem with her seeing my emails, texts, facebook, etc. In fact, I do not have a lock on my cell phone, so anyone can open it (hopefully I never lose it). If she wanted to, she would be able to go through everything whenever I leave my phone, which I do a lot. I'm okay with her knowing where I am, and tracking me as well. The main issue with this suggestion is not from any reluctance on my part. When I suggested something similar, my wife said that she is not my supervisor and for her to have to constantly keep tabs on me is not a solution. I have to agree with her. While I wouldn't have a problem with any of it, it would be like giving her another job. Telling her to basically cyber stalk me would be draining on her, and even when she finds out that I'm not hiding anything, she could still be upset with me for being tired and frustrated with this extra chore.

I do agree that I have to distance myself from some of these friends. The ones that were pushing for private strippers rather than a regular strip club are friends that have no issues crossing boundaries, and it gives the wrong message if I hang around them. I would not have had this problem had we gone to a regular strip club for my friend's bachelor party. That being said, I have decided to avoid any future bachelor parties or any other situation where strippers are involved. I never enjoyed it and always felt extremely uncomfortable in those situations, even when I was single. So avoiding it altogether is better for me anyway.

The one thing I suggested, of which she is uncertain, is a lie detector test. I thought that if I could at least show her that there is nothing that she doesn't know, nothing hidden, then it might help us to move forward. If she does agree, then maybe there is hope. Having my backside exposed was very bad, and I can't make excuses for it. But it also was the worst I have ever betrayed her trust, and I'm hoping that her asking questions and seeing that there is nothing else to hide will show that I don't want to be with anyone else and I'm not pursuing anything outside of the relationship.

I'm an NT female married to an Aspie so I get what you are saying (at least, I think). It sounds like you have some low self-esteem issues that may be common amongst aspies since they've been misunderstood and treated like crap most of their lives. In particular, I think you need to realize that you are a worthwhile person whatever other people think of you. The reason that I suspect you don't see this is because you actually let your "friends" put their hands on you to lower your pants. They violated your space. Also, you have a hard time saying "no" to requests from people to do things when you don't want to do those things.

You have the right to say "no" to people. Let's just put that out there. It sounds like you've been victimized in the past, and maybe trust people too much. From your background, it looks like you might have been emotionally abused. I'm so sorry for your pain (I was emotionally abused as a child too). You might be tolerating abuse from friends because of your past. This is something to share with your wife after trust is re-established.

If your wife is trustworthy, I would actually ask your wife to help you judge people and situations that you should or should not get involved in. If she's NT, ask her what an NT would do in those situations. For instance, tell her that your friends want to go to a strip club before you go, and ask if that makes sense or if it will disturb her. You're not necessarily asking for permission, but you just honestly don't know what is appropriate in a lot of social situations.

My husband does this with me, and some of us NTs enjoy giving this kind of advice anyway. He asks me frequently about things co-workers have said to him or things asked of him. It helps him, and it really cements our relationship further because we get the NT bond moment through it (even he doesn't feel it, it's there for me).

My main piece of advice - look online for a therapist in your area that specializes in Asperger's or Autism and see if your wife might be willing to do some couple's counseling with you. She needs to understand Asperger's a lot better than she does for you two to have a good relationship. She also needs to understand your past (and you need to as well).

NO lie detector, NO encouraging cyberstalking. Keep your eye on the main issue - trust. Trust doesn't require evidence, it's knowing that the person will not cheat, no matter what the situation. The more you try to get her to believe you, the more she will think you are trying to trick her. The more honest you are about your pain and feelings, the more she will trust you.

Get some help sooner rather than later.

Get her to read this thread, if she can't see then that you're a sensitive soul who can't see how to get out of awkward situations, there might not be much hope unfortunately :-(

Aspies are often the most loyal, trusting and faithful partners you could find, probably because we're painfully honest and have no "filter" and blurt things out. Tell her how much she means to you as best you can, and beyond that it's out of your control :-(

NO lie detector, NO encouraging cyberstalking. Keep your eye on the main issue - trust. Trust doesn't require evidence, it's knowing that the person will not cheat, no matter what the situation. The more you try to get her to believe you, the more she will think you are trying to trick her. The more honest you are about your pain and feelings, the more she will trust you.

Wow, yes I think Kim is right. I approach trust as an aspie. For me, trust is completely based off evidence and facts. If the statements exactly correlate with the data points I have collected or observed, then trust is natural outcome. Trust for me requires electronic, paper or voice evidence correlated with witness statements. Being honest about pain and feelings is nice, but for me just a subjective aside that can distort the facts.

But NTs don't work this way, my husband is NT and he once told me that trust is an feeling or an instinct. He would say that trust doesn't require evidence, it just an understanding.

Errrr, so how do we earn it? Talk? But you already talked and she doesn't believe you. Flowers? Not sure that would help. @Kim Sullivan / @LucyPurrs but what is a concrete action that can be performed to gain trust? Counseling and not going out with that friend group? Offer to breed with her?

Counseling and not going out with that friend group? Offer to breed with her?

Or offer not to breed with strippers.....

Its an irony.... as being forthright can lead to trust. Aspie honesty.

But often we are punished for being forthright..

As the forthright doesnt always suit!

So we become reluctant and perhaps seem 'shifty' and evasive as a result.

One for NTs to step in. Hopefully not proverbally..

This all sounds pretty bad, and I am the man in all of these situations. My weird uncomfortable reactions make it seem like something is up.

Thats because something was up.

Is this one instance, the one you describe?

I suspect there have been similar things over a longer period of time.

The way you've written it,also seems like an evasion of responsibility.

Easy to pretend you dont know what you were doing wrong.. if youre gullible.
Doesn't mean you dont know it was wrong.
The way you write seems to me like 'faux cluelessness'

Why dont you list here what you did wrong starting with 'I did....'

Last edited:
Well, being forthright does count with me, and consistency of actions, reliability of behavior, evidence and facts also count and then so does my gut instinct which is something aspies might not relate to as it's more feeling based. I think my ability to read others body language does help me decide when someone is being honest (have to be honest about that, LOL) but it's not the only thing. If there's no history of interaction to go on then I would rely more heavily on my gut reaction perhaps as there would not be available evidence.

Looks like you've gotten a lot of good responses here. I admit I haven't read them all.

I understand how hard it can be to be open and honest with someone. Like you, my awkward social manners often lead people to think i'm hiding something or not being honest, when in reality I just don't understand how my body language is coming off, or that my laughter or humor is misplaced, or that I seem guarded or confrontational and hard to connect with.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you are succeeding in explaining yourself honestly and in a raw way here. That can be really hard to do face-to-face or in-person! Have you thought about letting your wife read this forum post, or another like it? Read your own words being candid, vulnerable, and very concerned for the well being of your relationship and your wife's trust in you? Sometimes witnessing another's interactions with a third party, especially when they're being raw in a way they haven't been able to achieve with you, can be a real eye opener to the reality of the situation! And perhaps such a thing can open the door to low-pressure communication and a heart-to-heart, where she already knows the tough details that you might struggle to find the words for in the moment. You can skip the pressure of self-defense and communicate coming from an equal level of understanding.

Just a suggestion :) These situation are tough. I've been accused countless times in my life of things I definitely have not done, but the party accusing me felt so deeply wounded by their conviction that I had done it. It's hard on all sides, and communication is the key. It can be written, a mediator can help (like someone you can open up to like you have on the forum here, without fear of judgement or miscommunication or anger or hurt; a friend, family member, or professional), you guys can write letters or emails if talking is hard for you with these emotionally sensitive subjects. I would think that trying to bridge the communication gap would be the most healing thing. And if you and your wife can find an easy way of honest communication that works for both of you, it would help alleviate and clarify any future situations like this. I would hope at least :)

My husband does this with me, and some of us NTs enjoy giving this kind of advice anyway. He asks me frequently about things co-workers have said to him or things asked of him. It helps him, and it really cements our relationship further because we get the NT bond moment through it (even he doesn't feel it, it's there for me).

Kim, can you talk about this more? I have NO CLUE what you mean. What is an "NT bond moment"? I'm definitely curious.

I'm an NT female married to an Aspie so I get what you are saying (at least, I think). It sounds like you have some low self-esteem issues that may be common amongst aspies since they've been misunderstood and treated like crap most of their lives. In particular, I think you need to realize that you are a worthwhile person whatever other people think of you. The reason that I suspect you don't see this is because you actually let your "friends" put their hands on you to lower your pants. They violated your space. Also, you have a hard time saying "no" to requests from people to do things when you don't want to do those things.

You have the right to say "no" to people. Let's just put that out there. It sounds like you've been victimized in the past, and maybe trust people too much. From your background, it looks like you might have been emotionally abused. I'm so sorry for your pain (I was emotionally abused as a child too). You might be tolerating abuse from friends because of your past. This is something to share with your wife after trust is re-established.

If your wife is trustworthy, I would actually ask your wife to help you judge people and situations that you should or should not get involved in. If she's NT, ask her what an NT would do in those situations. For instance, tell her that your friends want to go to a strip club before you go, and ask if that makes sense or if it will disturb her. You're not necessarily asking for permission, but you just honestly don't know what is appropriate in a lot of social situations.

My main piece of advice - look online for a therapist in your area that specializes in Asperger's or Autism and see if your wife might be willing to do some couple's counseling with you. She needs to understand Asperger's a lot better than she does for you two to have a good relationship. She also needs to understand your past (and you need to as well).

Get some help sooner rather than later.

This is pretty perceptive. While I won't delve into my past, I will say that you are correct in thinking I was put down during childhood. I suppose I do have a hard time saying "No", which is also the reason for the other situation of the facebook message invitation.

If I had simply said "No" then, that would not have been an issue. The strange thing is that I was able to say "No" to eating food off of the strippers nipples (the whole cause of why I was hit with the belt). I was uncomfortable, but was able to say no to that. When I was told that I had to be spanked with a belt for refusing, I think the main issue, besides having a hard time saying no, is that it takes me a while to process what's happening in a lot of situations. I had just thought, and been able to process, that this stripper wants me to do something that would be cheating (putting my mouth on her nipple), and nervous and uncomfortable I was still able to say no to that. It took a lot to process all of that and fight against my discomfort to stand against that. Getting hit (no pun intended) with a second request immediately after was overwhelming. And for me, I have to switch gears. Mouth on nipple = cheating. I was in that mindset. If the second request was to do something else similar, I know I would have been able to also say no to that, because it's in the same category. A thought and reaction of "No, that's also cheating" would have been easier. But the punishment, while also definitely crossing a line, was somehow in a different category of my brain. It was something that took me too long to process, and something where I didn't realize what happened until it happened. The punishment of getting hit on the backside with a belt was something I also thought was over the jeans. When it was the split second decision of no, pants down, I still thought it was over the underwear. They exposed the top half of my butt, hit my twice (hard) and then I realize the full extent of what just happened.

Before the bachelor party, I had no worries of anything like that happening. I was going to my friend's bachelor party, and it was booked at a strip club. Other than being uncomfortable in a club atmosphere, there would be no issues because those situations of crossing the line wouldn't arise. But then one of the guys kept pushing really hard for private strippers coming over instead. I fought against it, but everyone else went along with it. Once I knew that it would be private strippers, I prepared myself and got into the mindset of "Don't cheat. Don't cross the line." It's one of the reasons I was able to process and say no quickly to the nipple thing. Switching mental gears to make the decision with something more vague, like getting hit with a belt, is challenging. So while I agree with your assessment of my difficulties saying no, there is a bit more to it. I am able to say no if I'm mentally prepared to do so. But the way I process and categorize things makes certain split second decisions difficult.

But I've always been me, so I know these things about me. My main fault here is that, knowing my awkwardness, I should have apologized to my friend getting married and told him that I cannot attend the event if it was private strippers. I knew how things were with private strippers, and I worked myself up to say "No" to the wrong thing. I should've said no to attending the private stripper party.

Last edited:
Update: Things have gone from bad to worse. While my wife now knows everything I did at the bachelor party, at couples therapy something the therapist said reminded me that one of my friends said "Yo! Everyone in this room cheated!" (It was a comment on how some people that are unfaithful may want to bring others that are faithful down to their level) I mentioned the comment as a confirmation that this may be true. But now my wife thinks that there's more she doesn't know. I told her everything! But my behavior caused her to lose all trust in me. I don't know what to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom