• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ideas for future Christmas / Winter Movies...

I was looking for a nice Christmasy movie. Since The Doctor Who specials seem to be a bust from reviews.
Yeah, from what I've heard, it feels like David Tennant was brought back as the 14th Doctor (having previously played the 10th Doctor) just to bait fans who were disappointed during Jodie Whittaker's run into coming back - only for him to get talked down to and belittled.
(As the internet calls it, it was a "Bait and Switch" situation; lure the audience back with something nostalgic that they like and marketed to think it's about that, and then pull it away to reveal it's something else entirely).

What has made me laugh most about the most recent episode is that the 14th Doctor didn't do the usual regeneration into his 15th incarnation - played by Ncuti Gatwa - but instead performed a "Bi-generation" and split in two; meaning the 14th Doctor and 15th Doctor now both exist at the same time (although for some reason Ncuti's incarnation wasn't wearing any pants!).
Additionally, there are now two versions of the TARDIS and the 14th Doctor is apparently "retiring" from traveling around the universe, which feels very out of character for him, with the 15th Doctor carrying on the traveling instead.

However, from what I've read, people on both sides aren't happy about this and I believe that the reason they've done it is so they have David around as a spare in case Ncuti's version of the Doctor doesn't work. After all, I think most people have become apathetic to the mainstream media or people on social media insulting them with the usual "ist" and "phobe" insults for not liking poor quality/poorly written movies and shows, while the BBC is aware that Jodie Whittaker's run as the 13th Doctor was the lowest in the show's 60 year history; especially with the BBC's TV license fee due to end in 2027 - with it been unclear how the BBC will be funded after that.

As for something nice and "Christmasy", what about Miracle on 34th Street (either the original or remake) or White Christmas?

A post-post-apocalyptic story about a world that has recovered from the "Big Mistake", which destroyed civilization but not humanity. A few hundred years later, medieval communities have grown around places where former civilizations used to thrive, exploiting the readily-available materials.

One day, some children discover a place that had been sealed off. This place is not only full of books and maps, but seems to be decorated with red and green streamers and ornaments of different shapes. In the middle is the remains of a similarly-decorated tree.

The children begin a quest to "Find the True Meaning of Christmas" in a world that considers anything "Pre-Oops" to be evil and dangerous -- even ideas.

Yeah, from what I've heard, it feels like David Tennant was brought back as the 14th Doctor (having previously played the 10th Doctor) just to bait fans who were disappointed during Jodie Whittaker's run into coming back - only for him to get talked down to and belittled.
(As the internet calls it, it was a "Bait and Switch" situation; lure the audience back with something nostalgic that they like and marketed to think it's about that, and then pull it away to reveal it's something else entirely).

What has made me laugh most about the most recent episode is that the 14th Doctor didn't do the usual regeneration into his 15th incarnation - played by Ncuti Gatwa - but instead performed a "Bi-generation" and split in two; meaning the 14th Doctor and 15th Doctor now both exist at the same time (although for some reason Ncuti's incarnation wasn't wearing any pants!).
Additionally, there are now two versions of the TARDIS and the 14th Doctor is apparently "retiring" from traveling around the universe, which feels very out of character for him, with the 15th Doctor carrying on the traveling instead.

However, from what I've read, people on both sides aren't happy about this and I believe that the reason they've done it is so they have David around as a spare in case Ncuti's version of the Doctor doesn't work. After all, I think most people have become apathetic to the mainstream media or people on social media insulting them with the usual "ist" and "phobe" insults for not liking poor quality/poorly written movies and shows, while the BBC is aware that Jodie Whittaker's run as the 13th Doctor was the lowest in the show's 60 year history; especially with the BBC's TV license fee due to end in 2027 - with it been unclear how the BBC will be funded after that.

As for something nice and "Christmasy", what about Miracle on 34th Street (either the original or remake) or White Christmas?

Yeah. I think of Doctor Who in certain terms. Extremely smart, complicated, doesn't suffer fools, and the backstory or canon as something to be respected and retained. But it seems to be all being tossed out the window for novelty.

P.S. My daughter got to attend a weekend seminar with Colin Baker and Katy Manning in England this Spring. Colin gave her one of his scarves as a memento.

Yeah. I think of Doctor Who in certain terms. Extremely smart, complicated, doesn't suffer fools, and the backstory or canon as something to be respected and retained. But it seems to be all being tossed out the window for novelty.

P.S. My daughter got to attend a weekend seminar with Colin Baker and Katy Manning in England this Spring. Colin gave her one of his scarves as a memento.
Yeah, I agree with you there.

In regards to your daughter, that was nice of Colin Baker. :)

Yeah, I agree with you there.

In regards to your daughter, that was nice of Colin Baker. :)

She also told him he was her favorite Doctor (which isn't common) and he announced her his favorite fan. She was also thrilled to meet 'Jo Grant' and was amazed at the ladies energy and passion for the subject. I don't think she had seen many William Hartnell episodes, but I believe I saw them all. They played them on Public Television in the 80/90s in North Dakota when I was stationed there. Believe me it was a big deal as there is very little to do in North Dakota. :D

She also told him he was her favorite Doctor (which isn't common) and he announced her his favorite fan. She was also thrilled to meet 'Jo Grant' and was amazed at the ladies energy and passion for the subject. I don't think she had seen many William Hartnell episodes, but I believe I saw them all. They played them on Public Television in the 80/90s in North Dakota when I was stationed there. Believe me it was a big deal as there is very little to do in North Dakota. :D
That's definitely fantastic. :)

I have an idea for a Christmas movie.

Everybody who hears Mariah Carrey's Christmas atrocity song dies horribly by having their heads explode within a few seconds because God deemed that to be more merciful than hearing that song again.

I have an idea for a Christmas movie.

Everybody who hears Mariah Carrey's Christmas atrocity song dies horribly by having their heads explode within a few seconds because God deemed that to be more merciful than hearing that song again.
Makes me think of Halloween III with the "Silver Shamrock" commercial.

I have a bit of a thought regarding the Vampire idea I had some time back:

Interesting idea. :)
You saying that has made me think of another idea, and reminded me of a parody of We Three Kings that me and my siblings used to sing:

We Three Kings of Orient are,
one in a bus and one in a car.
One on a scooter, blowing his hooter,
smoking a big cigar.
Oh Star of Wonder, Star of Might,
Fill your knickers with dynamite.
Westward leading through the ceiling,
Vampires lurk this time of night.

(Yeah, we used to sing that. :p)

Anywho, my idea is to set the story in a town that is getting ready for the holidays, only for it to later be targeted by Vampires (who are taking advantage of the town's more remote location, the bad winter weather and the increased hours of darkness) - with the town having to gather together to hold them off until help arrives.
I think it could work as an effective horror or as a horror-comedy (I'd be fine seeing a Shaun of the Dead-style Christmas/Vampire movie).
Besides, after what Twilight did in turning these deadly bloodsuckers into sparkly emos who knew how to act human better than an actual human girl, we need to see Vampires be scary again - and when you consider the long list of powers, weaknesses, abilities, etc. that vampires can have there's plenty of room for creativity (check this out for ideas - List of vampire traits in folklore and fiction - Wikipedia).

As an adjustment to this idea, maybe instead have the Vampires be "Manananggals" - which are a type of Vampire from the Philippines that look like humans but split in half at the waist to become their 'vampire' forms; growing bat-like wings on their back, having superhuman strength, long tongues they use for attacking their victims, etc.

If you wanted to keep the story to pure horror, maybe have a young man (who I'll say lives in the UK for this idea) adopt a young Filipino girl whose family was murdered by a Manananggal clan and herself turned into one against her will, with her been abused for refusing to follow their ways (in particular refusing to attack humans).
The man does this in order to save her; aware of what she has been turned into, but willing to try and give her a good life regardless (since she hasn't harmed anyone and didn't ask for this), with the adoption going through and the girl coming to live in the UK.
Some years later, the girl is now a teenager and living a mostly happy life as Christmas approaches; intending to head to a large-scale Christmas event out in the countryside with her friends while also working up the courage to approach a boy she likes but is hesitant to potentially pursue a relationship with due to her "heritage". (For the record, Christmas is celebrated in the Philippines).

Needless to say, the Manananggal clan have found her and arrived in the UK - intending to "take her home" and deciding to have some of the partygoers for their "Christmas Dinner" as they take advantage of the winter weather and longer periods of darkness.
As such, with everyone in danger and her adoptive father needing time to reach them, it falls to the girl to help equip the partygoers with the knowledge and tools to defend themselves against the onslaught as she seeks to "put the shadows of her past to rest".

If you wanted a more "comedy-horror" approach, I'd keep the reluctant Manananggal girl turned against her will, but keep it to the Philippines and instead have a group of teenagers on holiday helping her to wipe out the "clan" she has become a part of before they attack an important wedding taking place.
(Think "Monster Squad" with a bit of "Shaun of the Dead" as a comparison).

New Threads

Top Bottom