• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I feel there is nothing left for me

It was definitely self-motivated, and that seems to be the million dollar question: how do you motivate someone to become self-motivated to improve themselves and subsequently their lives?

You don't. Self motivation is self motivation.

You're right, I'm just frustrated with that particular problem. I also used to be that kind of person, who didn't want to hear it and just laid in bed all day. I just don't know how to get through to people who are in that kind of state, to pull them out of it. It's the problem I've been bashing my head against for a while now.

Except you aren't that kind of person. You were your kind of person and they are their own kind of person. By that I mean that there is a marked gap in perception, between what you can see and understand about that other person and actually being that person, you have your own reasons and they have theirs. People have millions and millions of experiences in their lives and naturally some very entrenched ideas. The kinds of ideas that people have about anything related to the subject of this thread are the very kinds of ideas that tend to become the most entrenched.

Also, unrelated but just throwing this out there for the heck of it: I find the entire idea of "victim blaming" to be a poisonous concept.

Is any concept inherently poisonous? It's how we define and interact with them that matters.

Any suggestion that the problem lies with the individual in question becomes "victim blaming", and so nobody sees any need to improve themselves and stays a perpetual victim of circumstance.

It's terribly easy for a person to remain unhappy:

If you want to be helpful Gritches you can always present yourself as a compassionate and warm person. Trying to explain things to people is a quagmire but being a friend doesn't have to be such a vague minefield. Also there can come times where your advice becomes very helpful specifically because of your relationship with the person; the pieces of advice that I've most benefited from have invariably come from people like my grandfather.

Also let's not forget that while it isn't so easy to improve yourself even though it's very much worth it, it isn't at all easy to remain in a funk either. It's not entirely helpful to think of such people as merely "weak willed individuals consigning themselves to the easy way out" because the cold hard fact of the matter is that the deck is stacked against pretty much everyone.

Without a doubt many of the people whom the OP talked about aren't happy either and are disillusioned with the world around them because that's simply the nature of the world. No one is guaranteed anything. Many, many people in the world live under harsh and cruel circumstances, in poverty, in active war zones, around frightening violence and crime, malnourished, lonely and experiencing little hope of companionship, afraid, and confused. It's more than natural to think "why don't I warrant love from other people because of what I inherently am, these profound capacities I have to perceive the world around me and appreciate and love in kind". Simply being a person does merit a warm response from others.

The idea suggests that everyone is perfect, and that the world is merely unfair. It's garbage logic, and one more mental hurdle to get over before someone can become happy.

One great hurdle to get over in making others happy is just how much you care about being right or being listened to and trying not to be dismissive, not to trivialize others. Garbage logic may be garbage logic but the experiential aspect of the person having those thoughts is not garbage, it is the condition under which they are living and not something to be dismissed.

Last edited:
@Propianotuner That was really good. Seriously, I don't think I've ever been put in my place like that before. I guess I've had a "whip yourself into shape" sort of mentality about it, but you're right. If I'm interpreting your message correctly, it seems kindness is the only way into a person's heart. Somehow I knew that from my own experience, but I completely lost sight of that. I was trying to be a drill sergeant to people when I should just be a friend. I think I can manage that. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to set me straight, you've improved me as a person and I'm grateful for that. Paradigm: shifted.

@Propianotuner That was really good. Seriously, I don't think I've ever been put in my place like that before. I guess I've had a "whip yourself into shape" sort of mentality about it, but you're right. If I'm interpreting your message correctly, it seems kindness is the only way into a person's heart. Somehow I knew that from my own experience, but I completely lost sight of that. I was trying to be a drill sergeant to people when I should just be a friend. I think I can manage that. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to set me straight, you've improved me as a person and I'm grateful for that. Paradigm: shifted.

Gritches, it was never my intention to put you in your place, just to be a friend myself :) You've made it more than clear in your time here that you do care about people, and you've given lots of good input in that light around the forum.

I think what would be more helpful are people that have somehow found happiness without that essential human need for companionship to tell us how they did it.
What a perfect sentence.

I know some have found it. I keep telling myself if I could find the way to be happy with love of self
I wouldn't feel the need for companionship is the ultimate needed to be happy.
But, how do these people find happiness without companionship?
I've known happiness through having a companionship that I could truly just be myself around and know
they would love me unconditionally.
Yes, we do have to meet certain criteria of expectations to fit in the world, but, that isn't really comfortable.
I could do it but always felt that sigh of relief to be in my own environment with the only person I knew
I could just be myself around and both felt the same.
And it wasn't a romance relationship either.

I never felt I didn't love myself or feel shame in any way either.
The life I knew and was comfortable with was the life I was born into.
Now the turning to self for comfort, love, happiness, I find a poor comfort
from feeling alone and desiring companionship beyond myself.
As @Jacoby said, who else can I be?
Anything else is an act to win others approval.

Sometimes I daydream of how I would like to live, where, and create the perfect little living quarters, etc.
Then the reality it takes more money and better health than I am cabable of to have this simple
way of life I dream of hits. And the want of someone to share it with comes back into play.

So, yes, anyone who has found happiness alone...how did you do it?
Maybe it just came naturally and it isn't as necessary a need as it is for others?
I don't know. But, it would be so nice if someone could give an answer.

So, yes, anyone who has found happiness alone...how did you do it?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Positively influencing people can make me very happy. Learning new ideas and having interesting experiences can also make me happy.

It's important to be upfront in that I'm young and by no means authoritative. This is just something that I've thought carefully about and I'm sure I have much to learn, but I do think others here could get whatever they're going to get from my perspective, which is: happiness isn't some place that you can arrive at, a destination where you can say "okay, I'm one of the happy people now". Happiness comes and goes, the people we think of as the happy people are just content people.

It's not realistic to expect life to be some kind of fantastic endorphin rush. You can't chase emotions like drugs. They're there to differentiate experiences. However you can do your best to be content and not depressed when they, the endorphins or happiness experiences, aren't coming around as much. Try to shoot for being content and you may be surprised how often you're happy?

I'm in the middle of a kind of contentment lull but I'm unsure and don't know when things will lapse. It's pretty recent and some things have been rocking the boat already. Really I need to mature more and as I meet some goals I have and improve my life skills it'll become easier to remain content, I'm sure. That's what I'm hoping for currently, because since the end of last year I've been struggling with long bouts of severe, morbid depression and have been every bit as unsure as the OP about how long I can continue seeing myself having any reason to be around.

Maybe it just came naturally and it isn't as necessary a need as it is for others?

Hard to tell. The whole subject of relationships is confusing and it's been a weight on my shoulders but only one of them. If I had to guess it's not just relationships or the lack thereof dragging people like myself down, it's a whole history of struggling to understand yourself as a legitimate person on multiple different levels. The various things that seem to make other people around me matter are apparently not making me matter, not making me a "valid person".

However I understand that relationships often go awry, or are just another thing. Also I understand that the things which I get caught up in perceiving as "this is what makes a person a real person" and "this is what's going to indicate to you that you're finally some kind of real adult" are articles of culture and largely illusions, concepts we enslave ourselves to.

I don't have to be a slave, there are lots of wonderful and interesting things for me to think about, things for me to see and do which are very life enriching and aren't required to have something to do with the standard list of what makes up a "happy person's life", and the more I improve myself the more good "happy person" experiences I'm still able to have with others e.g. engaging in friendships. So I can be content and have been straddling that fence better than usual this week. As I've observed people I've been given to understand that a lot more people are touch and go than are letting it on, sometimes they're content and sometimes they aren't. And maybe this is okay :)

Last edited:
step 1: the basis for finding a good relationship is not to need one to be happy, it makes you come over as needy, or someone that will take more from a relationship than they put in, women can smell this a mile away, you need to find your feet and happiness being alone first

step 2: i started by accepting that i likely would not find anyone despite being very good at faking normalcy, once you find peace with yourself and happiness in your own life, then the stench of fear dissipates, the fear of rejection declines (as you do not need the relationship to be happy) you can relax and enjoy the process more and maybe meet someone great

step 3: be realistic in your expectations, be kind to people that are kind to you and ruthless to people that are not, i only met my wife in my mid thirties, some meet their partner later, setting 'deadlines' is not going to increase the likelihood of finding someone, but will only make you feel bad

for me the solution was internet dating, you can formulate your social limitations in a positive way, instead of a 'i am a self centred, easily irritable, socially inept person that hates groups of people and gets angry because of noise" instead:
- i prefer the intimacy of small groups
- looking for a peaceful, happy and intimate life with a partner
- prefer libraries to discos
- brought up on values of trust and respect, dislike confrontation and conflict
- etc etc

there are positive ways to describe yourself, that will put the bad ones off,
when i met wife this way we corresponded quite a while before even meeting
someone who isn't willing to put in the time is not worth your time

to think there is no one that could fit with you is absurd

As a woman I mostly came to comment about those ridiculous notions, that all women want men with lots of money, big muscles and huge dick. I have been in many relationships, and none of those things have never been a factor in me starting a relationship with someone. My current boyfriend is a scrawny-looking unemployed aspie, who actually has very decent size parts, but that's not why I am with him. It's so stupid to generalize like that, because then if you think that you're missing some of those traits, you declare yourself a loser before the game has even started.

In the very beginning of our relationship my bf was worried about those same things. He was stressed that he doesn't have a car and a job and that he isn't muscular and I really had to convince him, that he truly is kinda big and bigger would be too much for me. None of those things mattered to me. I wouldn't love him more if he had a car. It would make things easier, but not the love to grow. If he would be happier with bigger muscles, then I encourage him to go to the gym, but I find him sexy as hell now, so it won't change anything, except if he started to get really big, then I would not be pleased. So when using stereotypes, don't say all, say most.

And when you say that all of your co-workers hate you, you're really making yourself sound super important, like everyone there is thinking about you all the time. The truth is that people are so pre-occupied with their own lives, that I suspect that most of their opinions about you are pretty neutral. Except if you are an enormous a-hole. Then they probably dislike you.
So don't give up. Not all of us girls are so shallow and gold-diggers as you seem to think we are. I hope it gets better for you some day.

@Gritches

I feel you were not wrong in how you stated things, as you were showing frustration which showed you care. Kindness is shown by all your efforts, posts and likes, and can sometimes be shown by a gentle nudge too if the recipient seems not to be able to be helped out of just totally positive support because of their condition or situation. It can be difficult for caring persons to see persons in constant pain, so subconscious or conscious instinct may be on rarer occasion to try another approach to see if that works.

Remember, as all persons are different, even on the Spectrum, they all will not respond to positive messages the same. Some may interpret kindness as meaning just support or saying just what the other wants to hear. That could be sometimes be seen as enabling though. If the recipient does not see any wrong what they are doing, or is unable to see wrong because of their condition, or just seems to blames others or them, that victimization or hopeless or negative attitude will often not go away by just a one hundred percent positive approach; it would need the truth and more answers but worded in constructive way, to encourage some to act, as each person responds differently to things.

A drill instructor I feel is overly aggressive and negative, to all and often every time. They want persons to change often out of fear, not kindness or love. Yes, the desired results are often gotten, but at what price. That seemed not your intention. You just seemed to show frustration at the situation, as you felt maybe it was not hopeless to get out of that situation from your experiences, and you seemed to want to jump start things by showing tougher love. I have been on other anxiety, depression and shyness groups whereby it was mostly about the big, bad world and self pity. At surface level, that may help, but it can also keep persons down, and may sometimes lead to even deeper, darker or more prolonged thoughts, with less efforts given. Positive support and relating similar experiences can help, but it will take one only so far.

Often self-motivation is derived earlier in life through genetics or environmental conditioning to avoid pain and feel pleasure, but it can also instantaneously occur from hitting rock bottom, or becoming aware of a more urgent need, a need more than just support. It often means needing desperately something better, in order to fight for it, instead of just wanting it. Then things may change for the better. Whereas some persons in this world may always want to be victims, or not admit things, others do not and can do so. I think the op is showing signs he definitely wants a better life, and has tried many things, and that is the first start. He seems to have a sense of humor too which is good. And it seems from his suggestions or statements, he at least has a partial stated goal, of a relationship or companionship, and to get away from his current situation. That should be defined further though. That would be a next step. What type of relationship, and when to get away from his current home situation?

Once a goal is made, from my past research there must be steps made to achieve that goal. If the goal seems too big, overwhelming, impossible or unrealistic at the current time, one should break that goal down further first, or else the efforts to reach such will not be made. Once a reasonable goal is then picked, then one needs a plan of action, some belief, strength and desire to continue pursuing it, and then to act, and react properly, if alterations are needed. If that requires research, asking for help in devising a plan, a medication, hanging around positive persons who will encourage or help them to continue that path, or self help attempts to worry less, think more positive, or build self esteem, that can be started immediately.

Lots of people think thinking positively is very very difficult, and needs years to fix pessimistic thinking. Not really, once you set your mind you definitely need a better life, and are willing to either put forth more OR different efforts to get there.. Again, some may need meds, if it is a genetic or chemical imbalance for that anxiety or depression, but in my case after self analysis, it was my very poor traumatic environment that caused negative things, but I did not want to blame that very bad parenting to make me miserable forever. Once I hit rock bottom in my early twenties, with severe stress and anxiety, and throwing up daily, did I know I needed to change my perspective and put my energy elsewhere, or else I would succumb to that, instead of having self destructive and negative thoughts. I was smart enough to know though at that time, despite negative thinking, I had some positive foundation, as I knew I was a good person despite my severe social limitations and many bad experiences in life, and thankfully I was strong enough to keep those good qualities during those very tough times.

In my case, I decided to put forth my efforts into being around support groups that were more uplifting, and I researched self help things. I found techniques I could do immediately like changing my posture and expressions to trick my body to alter mood, and I had daily positive visualizations of me succeeding at things or being in relaxing places whenever I noticed such negative prolonged thoughts entering my mind. And I found ways to divert my mind from something negative to a different unrelated real positive life thing, and to change negative thoughts into positive ones. Regarding the latter, like instead of thinking, "Life is unfair. Look at all those people in relationships whereas I am alone," I would think, "Those relationships could be failing miserably. I am not ready for such. One day I will be stronger, wiser and healthier, be my best and the relationship will last."

Within about six weeks of these type of conscious efforts, and using humor if need be, too, I noticed positive developments. Positive thoughts occurred much, and more naturally, and I felt noticeably less stress, anxiety and depression, to the point I felt I was more in control of my life. I started focusing not only on the positive things about me, and my accomplishments, but the positive things about my life. I did not let certain others and events determine my mood, as even if I temporarily was not expecting such an obstacle, I now had confidence how to get out of that mood quickly or quicker. It is ok and natural for all to feel varying moods, as that is real and how we learn, too. The key is to not let distressing feelings last longer than needed.

So, by saying all of this, I do see the value in being constructively positive to persons who are either reaching out for help or are good persons, as I like helping and often now try to see the good in things, but I was not always this way though. Through my twenties I hated my severe shyness and social anxiety condition, and the fact others had friends and were in relationships where I had none. I saw things as hopeless then, and saw myself as a victim. In my case, I was very self-aware and pushed myself for answers, once I felt the end was near if I did not change my attitude, direction, or something about me. But, not everyone can do that, they need sometimes a friendly push or possible answers from others, instead of it coming from themselves, to see things clearer, and to be motivated to act.

Your frustration shown I have felt too. I have posted some of this information before, and got very little if any feedback, despite seeing some persons that could have considered trying such when requesting or suggesting a need for assistance. Its easier often for one to think, "Well, I want the world to change instead as they are the bad ones, or I want to be loved for being me. Take me as I am. Or he does not know me, has a different condition or life experiences, so no thanks for the suggestions. I will find something else." My thoughts then would be, "Well, ok, at least I tried my best, as have others on this forum have tried various approaches, too, whether through support, other suggestions, or sometimes, more directly with the colder truth. Nobody knows what approach will work best, as we have different stressors, strengths, and ways to be motivated, if we cannot be motivated from within. As long as respect is shown, and good intention there, all is well in my mind.

Last edited:
You're right, I'm just frustrated with that particular problem. I also used to be that kind of person, who didn't want to hear it and just laid in bed all day. I just don't know how to get through to people who are in that kind of state, to pull them out of it. It's the problem I've been bashing my head against for a while now.

If we're on the subject, have you noticed how every miserable person has a very well thought out complex as to why they're miserable and will never be happy? I'm trying to think back as to how I destroyed that complex. It was definitely self-motivated, and that seems to be the million dollar question: how do you motivate someone to become self-motivated to improve themselves and subsequently their lives?

Also, unrelated but just throwing this out there for the heck of it: I find the entire idea of "victim blaming" to be a poisonous concept. Any suggestion that the problem lies with the individual in question becomes "victim blaming", and so nobody sees any need to improve themselves and stays a perpetual victim of circumstance. The idea suggests that everyone is perfect, and that the world is merely unfair. It's garbage logic, and one more mental hurdle to get over before someone can become happy.

I think it takes rock bottom for many people to motivate themselves for change. You can't motivate those who don't really want to be motivated, but instead want someone to validate how they feel. Both are important, but trying to motivate someone who isn't ready for it or wants it is just exhausting and not likely to do good. It only leads to frustration and possible resentment against the person you're trying to help. It's not usually the person's conscious choice to not want to feel motivated, they're just too caught up in their emotions to take reason into consideration.

In regards to the concept of victim blaming, I agree that the word is thrown around a bit too much. It's true that we can't control everything that goes on in our lives or happens to us, but we can choose to make positive improvements to our situations and be aware of how our thoughts can affect us. That's not the same as accepting responsibility for things we didn't do though.

4: Just me and you

If time were to stop, could you forever sit? Watching an eternal sunrise; sunset?

Would you ponder on questions that had no answers? Or listen to my jokes with an endless laughter?Could you rest your head...on my should? Reaching my arm around you, holding you closer?

Would you talk with me, revealing deeper desires? Or stare back.. until something transpired?

If it were just me and you, could we stand side by side? Or would you get restless and try to hide?

If time stood still, would you be frozen with fear? Or calmly travel with with me, never shedding a tear?

In the void of time, could we live forever? In the void of time.. you.. me.. wherever?

With no words that could ever express my feelings for you. Could you feel.. that same way too?

At a moment, an instant, if time were to arrive. Would we drift apart slowly.. then lonely.. then die?

In a million years, never thought i could feel this way.. about a person.. just you..holding, hiding back this pain.

If it were only just me and you, time would cease to exist. Only, if it were.. just me and you.

Leaving the woman i truly love, through my heart not head, she stopped the conversations. Yet i still lift her up with encouraging words. She understands me, and for the most part, i her, but in due time when our pasts are healed will we see eye to eye. Til then i find passing my time with God. But that is my choice

once you find peace with yourself and happiness in your own life, then the stench of fear dissipates, the fear of rejection declines (as you do not need the relationship to be happy)
This is true and what I am now seeking for self.
But, so far (6 yrs.) it's like waiting on a feeling I never find.

When you are young, the process of finding happiness and peace with yourself would be a good goal.
You've got a good chance of finding that path if you think about what the future may bring and
how helpful achieving this internal peace without the need of a companion to fulfill it would be.

There is the physical aspect also of how lonliness and depression affects the body to consider.
It is not uncommon to hear about how two people who shared say 50-60 years together and were content
together, when one suddenly loses the other they often die or go into depression, dementia, and other
medical disorders. They have suddenly lost life as they had known it.
Then add they have no other family, children, etc. plus already facing health problems and lack of money
needed to survive.

That's a bit different scenario to the younger people who feel love has let them down or see no future for
it.
It's really hard to learn at this point in life for anyone. I think it would be more difficult for an Aspie
that never developed the life skills and social needs.
This more closely defines my place in life now and I know it is difficult.

Everyone has given great advice so far, so I'm not sure what else I can add. But life isn't entirely about finding a perfect match to do everything with. Yes, it's nice. But you can be the most attractive, intelligent, rich, talented person in your social group and still end up single. Or you could find someone that seems perfect and have them cheat on you, change into a person you no longer like, die (ok, that's a bit dramatic but it happens). A lot of people you see in relationships are unhappy. So many people just settle with someone incompatible and spend the rest of their life stuck in a rut. Others just hook up for financial reasons (two wages to buy/run a nicer house) and spend most of their time apart, which you could do just as easily with a housemate. Don't assume everything improves just because you are in a couple. Being single is better than being with the wrong person. At least if you are single, then you are available if the right person comes along.

And no, not all guys want Barbie doll type women and not all women want macho 'tanks'. I personally find big muscles a huge turn off and love thinner guys. I live in one of the most appearance-obsessed areas of the UK and still meet people who don't think like that. In fact the recent craze for men to spend hours pumping iron every day has massively decreased my dating pool, so I'm hoping it changes! But I know I'm not the only woman out there who hates the 'mainstream' bodybuilder look.

If you are set on finding a partner and having no luck, then I would start by writing a list of the attributes you are looking for (appareance, age, personality, intellect, hobbies, values, etc) and then write a list of what that type of person would want in a mate. I notice a lot of people complain that they can't find a girlfriend/boyfriend (usually they could, but not the sort they want) and nine times out of ten it's because they aren't willing to turn themselves into the type of person their ideal partner would be attracted to. For example, most healthy/toned/slim people want an equally healthy partner. Very attractive people generally date other very attractive people. People with a high IQ/logic tend to want a partner with a high IQ/logic. People who are really into music or politics or whatever area of interest tend to want someone who shares that interest to some extent. There are exceptions, but complying with general trends will increase your odds of success. Also consider where the sort of woman you are looking for is likely to hang out? What location (on or offline) will increase your likelihood of meeting her?

The money thing is an issue I can relate to, as I had an ex use me primarily for money. But again, not everyone is that shallow. Most people are pretty decent.

I would suggest not relying on colleagues for your social life. It's pretty rare that you meet someone at work that you really click with and the majority of people are just there to earn a wage and leave at the end of the day. Most of the people I know tend to have friendship groups based around current or past membership of interest groups or education. I'd advise you to find a local organisation/group centred around one of your hobbies, as you will already have something in common with the people there and will likely find it much easier to start and continue conversations.

Last edited:
Everyone has given great advice so far, so I'm not sure what else I can add. But life isn't entirely about finding a perfect match to do everything with. Yes, it's nice. But you can be the most attractive, intelligent, rich, talented person in your social group and still end up single. Or you could find someone that seems perfect and have them cheat on you, change into a person you no longer like, die (ok, that's a bit dramatic but it happens). A lot of people you see in relationships are unhappy. So many people just settle with someone incompatible and spend the rest of their life stuck in a rut. Others just hook up for financial reasons (two wages to buy/run a nicer house) and spend most of their time apart, which you could do just as easily with a housemate. Don't assume everything improves just because you are in a couple. Being single is better than being with the wrong person. At least if you are single, then you are available if the right person comes along.

And no, not all guys want Barbie doll type women and not all women want macho 'tanks'. I personally find big muscles a huge turn off and love thinner guys. I live in one of the most appearance-obsessed areas of the UK and still meet people who don't think like that. In fact the recent craze for men to spend hours pumping iron every day has massively decreased my dating pool, so I'm hoping it changes! But I know I'm not the only woman out there who hates the 'mainstream' bodybuilder look.

If you are set on finding a partner and having no luck, then I would start by writing a list of the attributes you are looking for (appareance, age, personality, intellect, hobbies, values, etc) and then write a list of what that type of person would want in a mate. I notice a lot of people complain that they can't find a girlfriend/boyfriend (usually they could, but not the sort they want) and nine times out of ten it's because they aren't willing to turn themselves into the type of person their ideal partner would be attracted to. For example, most healthy/toned/slim people want an equally healthy partner. Very attractive people generally date other very attractive people. People with a high IQ/logic tend to want a partner with a high IQ/logic. People who are really into music or politics or whatever area of interest tend to want someone who shares that interest to some extent. There are exceptions, but complying with general trends will increase your odds of success. Also consider where the sort of woman you are looking for is likely to hang out? What location (on or offline) will increase your likelihood of meeting her?

The money thing is an issue I can relate to, as I had an ex use me primarily for money. But again, not everyone is that shallow. Most people are pretty decent.

I would suggest not relying on colleagues for your social life. It's pretty rare that you meet someone at work that you really click with and the majority of people are just there to earn a wage and leave at the end of the day. Most of the people I know tend to have friendship groups based around current or past membership of interest groups or education. I'd advise you to find a local organisation/group centred around one of your hobbies, as you will already have something in common with the people there and will likely find it much easier to start and continue conversations.

You are right that alot of persons are together and not really happy, but content.

For some of those here in this forum, maybe they need to either try a relationship to see how it feels, or they feel being content with a relationship is better than their more troubling current situation or state of mind. Or maybe they definitely envision a happy life, living the supposed American Dream.

I am not sure if societal pressure or expectations is a big reason for the need for another, or the loneliness or despair they are feeling now, or the media glamorizing things, but a relationship means very hard work, many sacrifices, and it will almost never live up to one's previous expectations. If that is ok, then just make positive efforts in that direction.

To start, I entered a relationship only when I knew I was ready, and knew what I wanted, and after I felt ready to give my all. Loneliness and to feel loved was a huge factor in me wanting a relationship. I did not need help with much else, as I was used to doing everything by myself. Even if I needed help, that would have been ok, as I would help her.

I thus decided to give up single life of over twenty years, despite feeling content and some happiness being alone, after my self help efforts, with me feeling much better about myself and my life. I found some good feeling in almost everything I saw and did those years, but I realized I wanted to really help and love another, & not just help others through the internet.

So, I felt the next step for growth for me was a relationship where I could continue to grow and find happiness together. I knew it would require lots on work on my part, but I was ok with that, as I had that energy. The few difficulties I had then, like socializing with others, she could perhaps help me with. I knew though I would be giving much of the effort.

With any relationship, you may experience some new joys, but that will often offset additional struggles. You may do things you never did before which are relaxing or fun, but you will likely be taking on some issues from the other that could cause additional anxiety, stress or depression. Almost half of relationships fail, and many others are hanging by a thread.

There will be the relationships that succeed with much happiness, or where the others see some benefit or feel mainly content. I have lived life with my parents for eighteen years, then life on my own twenty years, and now life through marriage of twelve years. In my case, I would not have changed a thing regarding the latter two.

Does this mean I have not envisioned a life since marriage of being alone again? No, it is often just a brief thought though. I have lots of good in my life now, and the love for this family, with the love feeling being reciprocated too in their unique ways, and so despite any difficulties family takes priority over other needs I have unmet.

In our case, two opposites are working out fine. Things are not perfect, but we are quite fine with that. Am I really happy? No. But if I were alone again, I would not likely be really happy either. Although I would have less responsibilities, and could do almost everything, my way & at my timing, I would still tell myself I need something more.

Listen Man. I know it can be rough when life is going against you. But someday it can all turn around and it can be going well for you. Try and make some friends on the forum to help you keep going.

If it were not for the people to have created a safe, commonground for, us, the like, then alone we would remain. Thank you to these, and all of you, who keep this going. Maybe, one day, i can be as open with situations in my life with you all for support. As for now, i can just support within my confines of anxieties

I think life is worth living, even if you don't have a "special someone". You can't help it that you haven't found someone, and that doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. It's just a state of being. You can either feel good or bad about it, you have a choice, and that's the important thing. You can choose what you value in life, and how you feel. You are whole. You are enough. You don't need anyone else to validate your existence. Hope you have a good day.

So I know it's been a while since I have posted in here but now I fear that this of all things may sink my life. To me my life is pointless without a special someone to share it with.

It seems that now adays it is impossible to find someone who will love me for me and not for my money iTunes gift cards or Amazon gift cards or trying to claim enheritence from a loved one dying. This is one thing that I will not be able to get over until it's solved.

I have an expectation that of I have not met a woman who will love me for me and not money or iTunes gift cards or Amazon gift cards or trying to get the money from an enheritence by age 30 that I will give up on life and end my suffering because lately it's all been ooooh he is ugly. He probably has a small package. I'm fed up with being degraded and judged.

Yeah I have a job and a car but I never get invited to a social gathering outside of work or anything it's like I'm a ghost they don't care about me. My own parents have told me they are sick of me.

I know it may sound like I am desperate but this has gone on for too long.
You might be trying too hard in the wrong arena. I have seen some very bizarre couples who were very happy people, fat ones with tooth pick ones, one lady was old like 60 with a twenty something that was mentally impaired. I hate to say impaired but he had extreme symptoms that she did not exhibit but they were madly in love.She would pubically tell him in public how much she loved him and they would hug and she would kiss him.This was a biker community so they tend to have some more accepting individuals. But there really is someone for almost anyone. Of course this was in a big city where there were alot of diversity to find someone.

i know an preacher lady who’s husband is fried from crack. I mean fried. I wonder if she isn’t with him for help from his disability check because I do see some couples pair up out of need. But what ever reason they are together, they stay together. I never hear her say anything bad about him although he has been in alot of trouble. They have a brand new brick HUD house.

Don’t put a time limit on it. Just be more open minded of other possibilities. I’m not saying go get someone not in your own league. I’m just saying I’ve seen people I thought no one would choose, yet they were chosen.

I don't believe things are steadily progressing and getting better in any linear fashion. Quite the opposite. Perhaps it's the greatest time in history for the assorted miscreants that take pleasure in perverting all that is holy but for normal god fearing folk it's hard to see what's better.

As somebody that grew up in the rustbelt, everything around me was a testament to a better time so what has changed? Who has abandoned us? It's a very very sheltered viewpoint if you think things are great and getting better, maybe from your ivory tower. You know they say that millennials are the first generation in America worse off than their parents but that's not true where I grew up, the American dream packed up and left long before I was born. They let the heartland of America ROT for decades and they wonder why people are so angry.

The last 40+ years have been all about destroying the family, faith, everything sacred. We're tangibly not better off and those deluded to think that things have gotten better need to understand that only very select few have benefited.

Bad DNA? Do you support eugenics? What are you saying here.

Look at the bright side, I guess we get to watch it all burn down and suffer the consequences in real time.
The world does look bad at various times.
Don’t watch or read the news. The fake news seem to want to cause chaos and anarchy. .it is a game.
I almost never watch TV. Hate the programs. I feel your frustration. I get mad at what I see around me too. I reel myself in with the positive parts of the Book. And I find something in life to enjoy and live in the moment. Even in poverty I find fun things to do. I put on a nice dress and go somewhere and act like i’m the person I was when i was better off. When my shack gets old I go somewhere nice. Does depression still hit me? yes. Everybody has some sometimes. I have it a lot. I wait it out. Rest, try to work my way out of it, go somewhere or do something to break the thinking cycle

New Threads

Top Bottom