• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I don't like the way some view high functioning autism

Some people think high functioning autism means you don't really have any problems. It's still a severe disability and I feel they must not not know much about the condition. I wish people would at least try and find out more about it, rather than assuming things. Guess it's just hard for them to see mild or high functioning next to something and not assume that means it's not too bad -_- I guess it's refreshing when someone actually seems to be aware of how autism can affect everyone differently, and some know a high iq doesn't mean you don't still struggle with life in a moderate or mild or severe way. Oh well lol, guess I will have to start my conversations with... Hi I have autism, this is how it affects me lol x

I haven't told people, because when I first told my mom about my diagnosis, she immediately started talking about having move in with her and having me signing her up as my power of attorney. She had it in her head that autistic spectrum automatically meant being unable to fend for myself. Granted, her reaction was a very extreme one (she has BPD), but it scared the crap out of me.
Now I don't say anything and people just think I'm some harmless weirdo.

New Threads

Top Bottom