• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't leave the house if-----

Aspieistj

both my shoes aren't tied exactly to the same degree of tightness. I don't wear shoes in the house but if I did, I would also have to get my shoes tied identically.

This sounds familiar. It's so easy to forget one has all these detailed needs if they don't cause constant troubles. I can go out - I've learned out of my compelling habits a bit just by noting myself that I really physically can go out even with just one shoe on - but it makes my whole body confused as half of my body would be going to different direction than another and everything goes off beat and soon I'd just fall to the ground.

Also my ponytail needs to be equally tight on both sides, and every cloth needs to be the same. One time I tried these trendy one shoulder shirts, and had a meltdown instantly. Symmetry is really important.

I have the same issue. It bothers me especially when I am at work I have hard time if I can't tie my shoes just the right way. I also don't wear shoes in the house or wear shoes that don't have ties so that I don't have that issue.

omg I can totally relate. It drives me crazy.
I also can't leave the house if I have not had a cup of coffee.

The same to me, my shoes have to be identically tight, I need to have my ponytail (made only by my mom or me, sometimes) with enough tightness but not a lot, I need to have nor tight clothes (I can't stand leggings or that horrible jeans women wear) and I need to have two rubber bands in my right wrist.

both my shoes aren't tied exactly to the same degree of tightness. I don't wear shoes in the house but if I did, I would also have to get my shoes tied identically.

Yep, I can totally relate to this too. Must be an Aspie quirk. But why do we do that? Perfectionism?

I don't know why anybody else wants their shoes
tied equally tight on each foot. I want them that
way because if they are, maybe they will both need
tying again at the same time. One stop instead of
two. That's all.

I don't seem to be really OCD or perfectionistic.

Wow, tree, there's the contrast for me, too - similar knot.. or, on a boat, two (used to be one) extra knots to make it fast.. a little particularism, a little logic - the median between OCD and ASD, perhaps..

I have one shoe that always seems to come untied. Same laces as the other one in the pair, but it always comes untied and all the rest of them seem to behave themselves. I don't understand it.

I can't leave the house without a hat, well I can but it will bother me the whole time. I have to at least bring it and have it in the car for easy access to make me at ease during weddings and such.

As far as shoe I by either slip on work boots or skate shoes and tie them in a good knot once and then just slip them on from then on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441608959.968199.jpg

My aspie best friend as far as work boots

I can't leave the house without a hat, well I can but it will bother me the whole time. I have to at least bring it and have it in the car for easy access to make me at ease during weddings and such.
I have also grown very fond of hats. I had a phase in childhood where I liked them too, but I was also in elementary school at the time and they were real nazis about hats. But now I'm an adult and I can do whatever I want to (lol). I also liked sun glasses for some reason, haven't picked that back up except for in my car when the sun is rising/setting and I'm driving straight towards it. I wear an Irish dockworker's cap. In the past I've worn a trilbey and an oldschool godfather-style fedora, but there's a lot of hate for those out there. No idea why. I keep them at home.

I have to have something on my head - a hat, sunglasses, or a headband/scarf of some kind. It seems to keep people from touching my head (which has been a thing I've hated for years, being short seems to invite people to touch my head?).

I also try to have my tattoos covered up depending on where I go. If I'm on a rare outing to a pub or bar then I definitely cover them, as there's a whole brigade of numpties who think it's an invitation to touch as well. Ugh.

New Threads

Top Bottom