• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How well do you handle flying?

cherryq

As I wait for my flight home for Thanksgiving, I am getting really nervous. How do you handle the close quarters, noisy atmosphere, etc. while flying?

I usually listen to music and look out the window the entire time to attempt to keep calm.

As a total adrenaline junkie should be expected,I totally enjoy the g-force rush of a commercial jet ride upon take off. The ride itself is very boring because you can only see where you have been from the seat.Yep,crowded,noisy and lame in my honest opinion.
I actually enjoyed my time spent in an aircraft as the pilot in command where I got to make all of the decisions myself ;)

I handle flying very badly. I can't cope with the security checks. I was in Turkey earlier in the year and they scan your bag before you get into the airport terminal building. Then they do the usual security check. I checked the list of things to take out and put in trays but left my camera in my bag as it wasn't on the list. When they saw it on the x-ray they started shouting at me in Turkish and when I said cameras weren't on the list I got held at gunpoint. Basically I melted down, scratched my face till it was running in blood and barely breathed till I was on the plane and off the ground.

In general at security I need extra time to get through, but they just won't give it. Of all the airports I travel through I find Gatwick to have the friendliest and most accommodating security staff. In other places I think we get profiled for extra checks as my wife is Asian.

I've never had a problem with flying... Of course, I've only flew a few times in my life, as I rarely went anywhere I couldn't get to driving... The last time I flew, I got to cross something off my bucket list: flying in first class for part of my trip(I had to change planes in Dallas, and the upgrade from coach to first class for the leg to Dallas was cheaper than checking the bags I needed to check)...

Flying on a airliner is not to bad, but the BS in the terminals on ether end makes it not worth the trouble for me. I have not flown on a airliner since 2000. I like flying on small planes. If my eyes were not so bad, I would learn to fly.

I fly quite often so, for me the flight itself is just another means of getting where I need to go. Airports, well that depends.

If I am flying with my personal entourage, it's fine, they keep the crowds off me and deal with airport personnel for me. All I have to do is walk through security.

Alone, it's a major hassle. I get swarmed in larger airports and, even in small ones, I'm recognized often so, that takes extra time to avoid causing a negative scene. People just don't get that I have a flight to catch and, really don't have time for pictures, autographs and, banter. They expect it of me and, unless I want to appear to be the arse I am, I have to provide a bit of it, even if I am short on time.

Once you get experienced, it becomes less bad. Bring a way to entertain yourself on board. Arrive early enough so you won't panic at the security lines. If you would carry it on your person, put it in your carry-on instead and security will go much faster. Don't try to carry a bottle of water through security. No alcohol or caffeine on very long flights. Remember that there are about a dozen airports (mostly in Canada) where you will clear US Customs/Immigration before you get on the plane. Leave at least three hours if you need to transit in a major airport. But seven hours might be too much. Check in as early as possible online as this will get you a better seat and less likely to be bumped off. Know how to activate airplane mode on your phone. Cheap base fares mean that you're paying through the nose for everything else. Remember that everything at an airport is expensive (although the food at O'Hare at least comes in generous portions). If you can use a secondary airport (like Midway or Toronto Island), it's usually for the better. If you're traveling to another country, make sure that you get a visa (or ESTA) if necessary. Try not to have a name like mine that looks Arab-ish if you don't want the dreaded SSSS on your boarding pass. And one huge thing - if you check your suitcase, you can get on last, and that's a big help.

To make things a bit less clausterphobic I would suggest trying to get a seat next to an emergency exit. These seats usually have more leg room, and the seats tend to line up with the window.

Chewing gum is also a good idea, both for stress relief and for equalizing the pressure in your ears during descent.

For me it is the security checks and having limited time to get through them. ALthough in one country a couple of years ago I paid airport staff a "gratuity" and din't go through any checks!

A pleasant attitude, being polite and, having everything in a bag that can be sent through the x-ray helps a lot with security, so does wearing open shoes, or at least shoes you can remove and put back on very quickly, no lace ups that you must untie ad re tie.

In flight there is Wi-Fi on some flights now (thanks to Jet Blue from Viasat.) Of course no contraband in your country of origin, any place you will land or, your destination - laws vary so check those ahead of time.

Offering a gratuity to a concierge service can help and, depending on the country, other staff may also accept tips to expedite things for you. They are also very cognizant of some issues such as agoraphobia (calling it fear of crowds is best if the staff do not speak your native language. If you must hurry through security, feigning an injured foot or a limp helps, they don't want to keep you on your feet longer than they must.

If going through the airport really does totally freak you out, it may be worth hiring a private body guard for an hour or two - yes you can do that. His job is to be sure you feel as safe as possible PERIOD and, if that means he has to do all of the talking, keep people a specified distance from you and, carry your bags then, that's what he does. All you need to do is tell him what you need ahead of time and, you're good to go, he'll see that your wishes are met to the best of his ability - you're paying him, you're the boss. (and yes you can get a female body guard if that makes you more comfortable from most agencies.)

In the past few years I have flown in places where there are no security checks and the pilots are bare foot. In the UK I try not to wear a belt, wear shoes that come on and off easily (although different airports seem to have different rules on this). I also don't wear any tops with zips or buttons (like hoodies)under my coat or they have to come off too. I will wear a jumper. My wife flies at least three times a month on business and gets an inordinate number of additional explosives swap downs of her baggage. I can only assume it is because she is Asian (although she and all her ancestors are Indian Christians). When we travel together. Even simple things like the facial recognition don't seem to work for her and we often get split up at immigration. I am always through long before she is.

Flying is ok as long as I give myself plenty of time to get to the airport, my plane is not delayed and nothing goes wrong. It can be a bit stressful, rather boring, but it's ok as long as I have my music to listen to. I'm usually very tense and find it hard to cope with things going wrong or not going to plan.

Whenever I fly, I bring with me (per TSA regulations) a quart sized zip-lock baggie with as many whiskey shooters as I can fit in it........

New Threads

Top Bottom