• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to connect to your true self?

nagibator

How to connect to your true self ?

As an autist (Aspergers) I'm well able to be with myself in my head. However being with myself in my heart is much more pleasant. And as through the heart we are all connected it makes you part of a universal community.

For now 9 Months I have been taking part in a twice weekly Open Heart "clinic". Which helped me discover and connect to my heart. Which finally happened today.

Go to Padmacahaya in order to find out more. And as a result only today I was guided to a "shortcut" on how to directly experience the heart.

This guided meditation from the Monroe Institute Bridge to Paradise Album - Heart-Sync® - Hemi-Sync - can help you distinguish if you are in your head or your heart.

They have another one which helps in Opening the Heart. (Opening the Heart® - Hemi-Sync -) I haven't personally tried this one yet.

Personally I found the Open Heart technique quite good as they offer free "clinics" where you can meditate on the heart and also receive a free Reiki Tummy treatment after. It's a good way to be part of a spiritual group that keeps on meeting. Also no talking required :p

Go here to find a community near you: Padmacahaya

Let me know how it goes!

Lovely, another New Age dippy hippy spouting psychobabble. I don't like to be seen as attacking another forum poster, but I'm rather cynical towards the various New Age "self-transformation" philosophies, except for maybe somebody like Wallace Wattles and The Science Of Getting Rich, which in itself is a sensible idea that I've seen mashed into various weird manifestations such as the idea that a person can cure cancer through sheer force of will ("Dr." Joe Dispenza) and magically obtain material wealth via the same (The Secret, what was her name, Rhonda Byrne I think?). And yes I bopped around the New Age movement for a while in my late teens and into my 20s. Finally I realized that virtually none of it works, except in the sense of parting fools from their money. Also, the above post looks to be more like an ad for a New Age "mindfulness" movement than a genuine post, and advertisements are generally banned in most online forums I've frequented over the years.

To be 100% honest - very poorly. I've never been satisfied with my real self because I tend to make people mad a lot and strain my relationships with them. I tend to drive people up the wall crazy with my anxieties, whining/complaining, negative attitude, emotional personality, and even poor communication skills. These things hit an all time low during college and I lost a lot of potential friends. I'm tired of constantly making people I care about mad. I've caused so many fights and quarrels throughout my life without ever meaning to. I will not stop hating myself until that ends once and for all, if it even does. I've never been able to control it, and hopefully I'll gain some insight on this by making more psychologist visits.

I've always considered myself a dumb idiot because I lack common sense and end up doing some really stupid things that have the potential to cause harm. It made way for some sloppy output at work and I wonder why I haven't been fired for it; a miracle of God I suppose. I feel like people get annoyed with me for not having common sense. I was even called stupid by a few people at school and college, and in reality I know that I'm very smart. I feel my coworkers constantly get annoyed with me, and I feel so darn bad for frustrating people - which brings up the issue from the first paragraph. I make people mad and I cause trouble for everyone. I don't feel good about myself in the slightest.

I'm told that the self-hatred is very unhealthy, and I'm quite aware of that fact. It doesn't change the fact that it's real and very prevalent. Coping with it is not an easy task, far from it. The only things that temporarily stop it are accomplishments I might make (and I did make those at work, too) - and any signs of people appreciating me. A hug, a kiss, a "good job" and a simple "how're you doing today", that's always welcomed and appreciated, and brightens up my spirits somehow. Until I either make someone mad again or make an idiotic mistake at work or someplace else...then that warm fuzzy feeling is just "poof", gone. At the beat of a drum. Anyone else on here experience this torture? How much time will it take for me to stop hating myself even if I constantly make people mad and screw up?

I don't know if I want to connect with my heart, it's a very dark place...

Mmm... it took me a while to be honest. For a long time I was unsure of my true self & lived to help others to fit in. But this whilst helpful in providing me a context of social norms & expectations I was lacking, the problem with such a path is knowing when to stop. What I mean is after finding a way to survive & gathering friends I was in a limbo. This was in regards of my own path & my ability to manifest control & direction, it was holding me back.

It took a while for me to realise that everyone has issues. That we all stumble through life & that we can be okay if we followed some common sense. For me I've realised that I was sitting on the fence & not taking control of my life. I was in control but not directing my path towards what I wanted. I no longer tag a person with one of many tags for defining their persona & it's ability to do wrong around me or at me. I tag them now with a very basic set of tags. Tags like are they good hearted or selfish, are they narcissistic or thieving junkies.
All i want from my tags is to know if they are good or bad people. With this good/bad setup I know who I can hang with, help or even just waist time with. I feel a lot lighter without a catalogue of complex tags to log when interacting.

I've also done a brave thing by getting a job & a car at the same time to work 26 miles away, after not driving for 13 years. Lol I'll probably get the car returned from service & MOT 2or3 days before the job starts, crash course in driving inbound.. hopefully I'm not being literal. Anyway what I'm trying to say is break the mold, break the loop & step out of the comfort zone, put your feet into the water & watch the splashes, the ripples. Enjoy every moment, take the rough with the smooth. If it doesn't work don't be hard on yourself, there's always another day.

:)

PS- Watch out for being over self aware it can prime one to be in a constant state of anxiety, which can be a hard rut to move out of. It can also create the situations the 'self aware' person was trying to avoid.

I have to hold up for New Age and metaphysical stuff.
I have an Associate's in Metaphysical Parapsychology and Reiki. I know a lot of people call us woo-woos or what ever. That's OK. Reiki is even used on horses and animals too. I know what I've experienced.
I feel no ill towards any group as long as it helps and isn't used to harm. I find the subject of paranormal fascinating.
To each his own. My heart can be a dark place too. Namaste.

I know some of this stuff actually works, but some of it does not. I guess it depends a lot on who it comes from.

I was thinking about jargon. Not all the New Age "babble" is meaningless. Some of it is just jargon. It does not mean anything if the words refer to ideas that you know nothing about, but to someone more familiar with the ideas, it can make sense.

There is a story about science and mysticism that explains it to me a little:

There was a scientist who laborious climbed up a tall, steep mountain. He got near the top of the mountain and hauled himself up the last bit. To his surprise, a man in monk's robes was already sitting up there.

One of the scientific "discoveries" that caused this story to make sense to me was vibration. Scientists have discovered fairly recently that different elements have their own characteristic vibration. Mystics have been using different types of crystals, and sounds to affect and heal human bodies for centuries. The Bible speaks about inanimate objects singing or skipping, etc. in this case and others, the mystics beat scientists to information that explains how the universe works.

There are other instances where mystics and other religious people beat scientists to information. There is not as much separation between spiritual knowledge and scientific knowlege as people generally assume.

Last edited:
I know some of this stuff actually works, but some of it does not. I guess it depends a lot on who it comes from.

I was thinking about jargon. Not all the New Age "babble" is meaningless. Some of it is just jargon. It does not mean anything if the words refer to ideas that you know nothing about, but to someone more familiar with the ideas, it can make sense.

There is a story about science and mysticism that explains it to me a little:

There was a scientist who laborious climbed up a tall, steep mountain. He got near the top of the mountain and hauled himself up the last bit. To his surprise, a man in monk's robes was already sitting up there.

One of the scientific "discoveries" that caused this story to make sense to me was vibration. Scientists have discovered fairly recently that different elements have their own characteristic vibration. Mystics have been using different types of crystals, and sounds to affect and heal human bodies for centuries. The Bible speaks about inanimate objects singing or skipping, etc. in this case and others, the mystics beat scientists to information that explains how the universe works.

There are other instances where mystics and other religious people beat scientists to information. There is not as much separation between spiritual knowledge and scientific knowlege as people generally assume.

There are some interesting discussions with krishnamurti and the top physicists of the day.the dalai lama is also into physics. The serious stuff where they discuss the nature of reality.
Lots of krishnamurti stuff is worth reading.

I love the story of how the theosophists put him forward as a prophet. His first speech as leader he disbanded the organisation :)

From the little I know about Krishnamurti, he seems like he was a really great guy. The theosophists created a cult for him to run, and then the first thing he did was to tell them that he wasn't a god and for them to get a life. He seems to have been influenced by anarchist philosophy somewhat. The sad thing about him is that when he was on his deathbed he said that his life's work had been for nothing and that he had failed to free mankind.

Krishnamurti's story is also relevant to the immediate subject at hand. If you go to the site the OP posted, or to many of the really popular New Age sites, you'll see that the whole site has very little about the supposed philosophy and is mostly about the guru and how great he is. Krishnamurti emphasized that teachings come before personality. Buddha apparently held similar views. It's nearly impossible to know what Jesus Christ actually taught and believed, what with the destruction of most of the Roman archives during the Dark Ages. "Christianity" as we know it is mostly the invention of Paul, who never personally met Jesus.

I've read bits of his stuff. I'll check him out in more depth, as he seems interesting.

I did some of the Monroe institute stuff years ago, but it wasn't for me. Great if you get some benefit but I didn't.

The biggest change I've ever experienced was through direct path enlightenment. Rupert spira, adyashanti Paul Hedderman, and the Indian sages Ramana Maharishi, and Nisargadatta.

Get enlightened fast without all the tedious mucking about in hyperspace.

Well, your already enlightened, you just have to step back and see the world from your self not from your brain.

I really like this topic, but I also know that one wrong word, and it can get toxic, and upset people.
I will try very hard to be ultra respectful. Every person should be free to believe as they see fit.

For me to get religious, or believe, simply has never been enough. To KNOW is the freedom that transcends everything. When I was younger, I was basically forced into Christianity by people who couldn't tell you the 10 comments, the golden rule.

In my case, I think in pictures. I am constantly making things fit together in my head, its like this massive mosaic that is what I KNOW. I have this thing where I can sit for hours and put things together in my head but in the end it will often be something totally different than what I had originally thought, been taught, or forced to believe.

I am deeply spiritual, but I really dislike religions, movements, cults, or doctrines, etc, because they always get corrupted by men, money, and power. Yet break them back down to the SOURCE and they all, (we all), originated from an end that has no beginning, and a beginning that has no end.

I have studied religious comparison, theology, and religious history a lot, a whole lot. I have studied and read the Bible (multiple times). I have studied the history of the Bible, the geology of the Bible, the disallowed books of the Bible, the history of the churches, and much more non-biblical research on other religions etc.
I get into it. Its one of my passions, and it holds my interests. I cant even start off on where it led me...

I do not want to screw up nagibators post in any way... and it would.

I do KNOW I may be ASD, but I also know how to connect with my so called true self.
It comes about by being true to myself and reaching past all the obvious stuff that men try and control.

I really like this topic, but I also know that one wrong word, and it can get toxic, and upset people.
I will try very hard to be ultra respectful. Every person should be free to believe as they see fit.

For me to get religious, or believe, simply has never been enough. To KNOW is the freedom that transcends everything. When I was younger, I was basically forced into Christianity by people who couldn't tell you the 10 comments, the golden rule.

In my case, I think in pictures. I am constantly making things fit together in my head, its like this massive mosaic that is what I KNOW. I have this thing where I can sit for hours and put things together in my head but in the end it will often be something totally different than what I had originally thought, been taught, or forced to believe.

I am deeply spiritual, but I really dislike religions, movements, cults, or doctrines, etc, because they always get corrupted by men, money, and power. Yet break them back down to the SOURCE and they all, (we all), originated from an end that has no beginning, and a beginning that has no end.

I have studied religious comparison, theology, and religious history a lot, a whole lot. I have studied and read the Bible (multiple times). I have studied the history of the Bible, the geology of the Bible, the disallowed books of the Bible, the history of the churches, and much more non-biblical research on other religions etc.
I get into it. Its one of my passions, and it holds my interests. I cant even start off on where it led me...

I do not want to screw up nagibators post in any way... and it would.

I do KNOW I may be ASD, but I also know how to connect with my so called true self.
It comes about by being true to myself and reaching past all the obvious stuff that men try and control.

From the little I know about Krishnamurti, he seems like he was a really great guy. The theosophists created a cult for him to run, and then the first thing he did was to tell them that he wasn't a god and for them to get a life. He seems to have been influenced by anarchist philosophy somewhat. The sad thing about him is that when he was on his deathbed he said that his life's work had been for nothing and that he had failed to free mankind.

Krishnamurti's story is also relevant to the immediate subject at hand. If you go to the site the OP posted, or to many of the really popular New Age sites, you'll see that the whole site has very little about the supposed philosophy and is mostly about the guru and how great he is. Krishnamurti emphasized that teachings come before personality. Buddha apparently held similar views. It's nearly impossible to know what Jesus Christ actually taught and believed, what with the destruction of most of the Roman archives during the Dark Ages. "Christianity" as we know it is mostly the invention of Paul, who never personally met Jesus.

From memory, his deathbed words... i took them more to mean that he realised he was different.
for most people, you could even say NT, enlightenment was a path that wasnt for them.
The price was too high.

A lot commonality with krishnamurti with aspergers, the different way of seeing the world , no hidden motives,the honesty.

But the NT way is more 'hes a guru. I'll act as if its really spiritual so i can tell people how great it was later'
'Hes not a guru' ie a normal ND person= he is weird which means i can verbally abuse to gain social points from my group and dont have to be seen to care as he's a minority.

Perhaps we have a chance,though depending on whether we are less or more ego driven....

I enjoy reading this thread.
Great to see "thinkers", not just "acceptors".
Love it.
I started feeling this way around age 8 and started examining teachings and what they were seated in.
Not taking it all as the gospel truth just because someone was teaching that's the way it is.
I needed to form my own beliefs that made sense from a science based truth as much as was possible.
We cannot apprehend a no beginning, no end, infinite space/tme. Where is the end of the Universe? The center? It can only logically be infinite so anywhere can be the center.
What is eternity? No beginning, no end. An endless cycle. It is so fascinating to me is the reason I studied for a degree in it. Metaphysics is a science. One that is not closed minded but tries to find the answers to the unknown in facts.
Everything is one. It only appears different because it all exists at different levels of vibration. Can't philosphise too much, but, it is so interesting.
Energy vibrations is my big interest and Reiki is a part of that. So are alot of other things in the paranormal study.
Yes, everyone has the right to believe as they want.
No prejudices here.
My thoughts are: Everything is God. We are the Universe experiencing itself. We are all bound to the wheel. The wheel is of our own making. Only when we realise this can we free ourselves and move on to higher enlightened planes.

My thoughts are: Everything is God. We are the Universe experiencing itself. We are all bound to the wheel. The wheel is of our own making. Only when we realise this can we free ourselves and move on to higher enlightened planes.

That's how I see it, although I'm not comfortable calling it God, due to attempts to coerce me into religion.

Non duality. There is no real seperation between in here and out there.

Interestingly, this also explains some problems with quantum mechanics like spooky action at a distance.

It also hints that conciousness is fundamental, which would explain the measurement problem, retrocausality and the hard problem of conciousness.

A lot commonality with krishnamurti with aspergers, the different way of seeing the world , no hidden motives,the honesty.....

Interesting thought and it crossed my mind today when I read his Wikipedia page.

I wonder how many great sages were autistic? They always see from a drastically different perspective and often choose to live simply in caves or under trees, away from the masses.

I imagine most religions started with one person who helped people gain enlightenment, and whose legend was then surrounded by the trappings of religion as more people sought personal gain from the relationship with the sage.

Sad really, as the message is lost in all the bells and the temples.

Interesting thought and it crossed my mind today when I read his Wikipedia page.

I wonder how many great sages were autistic? They always see from a drastically different perspective and often choose to live simply in caves or under trees, away from the masses.

I imagine most religions started with one person who helped people gain enlightenment, and whose legend was then surrounded by the trappings of religion as more people sought personal gain from the relationship with the sage.

Sad really, as the message is lost in all the bells and the temples.

I have always wanted to go sit with some monks... or some wise old man that the world never corrupted

Those kind of people are a little like me... They don't say a lot, and they think a lot.
The cool thing with the monks and a wise man, is they can control their thoughts.
Mine are just flying all over the place most the time, but at the end of the day... its ok.
I still know who I am, and somehow deep inside I feel loved far past what any human can display.

I know what you mean.

I try to watch the thoughts come and go, knowing they are not me, and it's just their nature to fly about.

I even get suicidal type thoughts and I treat them the same, I let them come and go.

I can't control them, and I don't try. They are no more than mind burps.

I usually say God since it is something all religions or no religion easily relates too. The Universal All that all is from to state my belief there is a consciousness behind and within everything and everything is one although it seems like many different seperations. Gets a little deep.
But, yes, I would like to sit with Monks and wise masters too. I've always been attracted to the ones who are dedicated to wisdom and untouched by worldly desires.
I had the pleasure of working with an old Zen Master for a while. I saw things he could do that were unbelievable to most people. I learned much on the manipulation of the energies from him. He was doing Tai Chi in a park on top of an Indian mound with a few others and a crowd was gathered around watching. I was in the crowd, I didn't know him, he didn't know me. As I went back to my car to leave, one of his students came running to stop me and told me the master wanted to speak with me. He had seen my aura in the crowd and wanted me to be his assistant.

New Threads

Top Bottom