• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to answer Where are you from?

@Pats I think if people asked you and you said you were from Ohio, I don't imagine anyone would question why you didn't say Virginia. My first year I lived in a city far from the town where I grew up. If people ask me where I'm from I never mention my first year in the city, but I tell them about the town where I had most of my childhood. Maybe after getting to know people I would mention that I actually spent my first year in that other city and I have never experienced anyone questioning that in any way, like - But you said you were from that town and now you say you are from that city?!?

But of course, the accent might be a reason they ask. And if you say Ohio, but sound like you're from a completely different state, I can see that some people might get confused...

@Pats I think if people asked you and you said you were from Ohio, I don't imagine anyone would question why you didn't say Virginia. My first year I lived in a city far from the town where I grew up. If people ask me where I'm from I never mention my first year in the city, but I tell them about the town where I had most of my childhood. Maybe after getting to know people I would mention that I actually spent my first year in that other city and I have never experienced anyone questioning that in any way, like - But you said you were from that town and now you say you are from that city?!?
I actually have tried that before and every time they've added the question, so your family is in Ohio? No they're not. :)

@Pats Ok, then I see how things might get complicated. Cause, i guess, when you say "No, they are not" they keep asking questions, or at least expect you to explain?

When people have asked me where I'm from, I usually tell them I'm from Cape Breton if that's what they're wondering, because I don't have much of a typical Cape Breton/Nova Scotian accent or dialect. I assume they think I'm from somewhere else in Canada or maybe even the states. When I was around 21 a kid thought I was from New York! Maybe because my voice was louder than usual?

If they want something more specific, I'll tell them I'm from Alder Point which is a village where I grew up. The next question that usually comes is "Oh I know (insert name here) in Alder Point, do you know him/her too?"
What is it with people thinking that you know someone they know where you live, as if you know everyone there? Even if its a small community it's not likely you're going to know everyone. Maybe I would know more people I were NT, but I really don't care.

I tend to answer with the city I live in, also because I'm not fond of talking about the town I'm from which no one has every heard of anyway. Then I'm quick to ask where the other person is from so we can talk about that. :rolleyes: I don't like to talk about myself and I've noticed most other people do so that works out nicely.

Oh, ok so they aren’t really looking for accurate information, they are just wanting to chat. Well, duh, now that you guys have explained it, its really simple.
That’s a relief because one time last week I went through all the states I have lived in in chronological order. Good grief, I'm such a dufus, lol.
I like the example Gritches of oh I’m from the area....blah blah blah...
It’s one of those questions you can’t get out of answering by saying you don’t know...lol
Why do we never come to terms with the fact that we are different ,I do exactly the same as you, I go through two or three different conclusions- sometimes it hits me what they actually meant.
I wonder if I should be proud of the fact that really I'm bilingual, I speak autism and non-fluent NT .

chronologically

i moved from...
but i'm originally from...

be warned: both may start a conversation :)

I say "Virginia" to make it simple.

But the truth is a bit more complicated considering I was raised in a military family. Having lived from Virginia to Guam and points in between.

Hafa Adai, y'all. :p

If I’m asked a question like that, I usually answer the place where I grew up, but in your case it seems they are just trying to get to know you and chat and that’s the most suitable thing to ask.

A bit off topic:

I have similar confusion when I walk my dog in public places. Many people come and ask what breed she is and sometimes, how old she is. I find it nice that people like my dog and show interest but I just never get it why they are asking about her breed. Is it really that important? What are they going to do with that information? And yes, she’s a puppy, people can usually tell that by her looks, but what does it matter for them whether she’s 4, 5 or 7 months old?
I assume, theoretically that it’s just the way people communicate. They talk and ask whatever comes to their head, which has nothing to do with wanting actual information. It’s just their way of saying “I like your dog and I’d like to pet it”.

Although, once a girl walked up to me and my dog and just said: “oh how cute dog. Can I pet it? Thanks. Bye.” I was positively surprised by that kind of simplicity. Wish there was more people like her.

I cover all bases so that it doesn't matter what they mean. For you, you can say I was born in X but lived in Y for 25 years now and just moved to this apartment.

I’m one of those people that ask the breed of dog because I’m really interested, not just throwing out words. Especially if the dog looks mixed breed, i like to know what combination of breeds are there in this dog. Of course, people that adopt from a shelter have no idea, but it is interesting to guess.
People always ask me the age of my dog, and then they want to disagree. Why ask me if you already know sooooo much more than I do? Geeze.

I think it's a test.

I get asked this a lot and sometimes a practical and honest answer is often disappointing to the person asking the question!

I think what they are really asking is "where do you come from and do we have anything in common"? So if I am abroad and say something like "I come from England", then some countries will take that well and say "oh I know someone from England, do you know Ted Smith?", which starts a rapport. Other times, if I give a detailed history of where exactly I came from, they give me that "oh that wasn't the answer I was expecting" look and back away.

I always tell them my hometown, which is where I was born and where I spent much of my life. But the thing I hate more than anything (and yes, I hate it) is when someone generalizes where they’re from. Example: I am from Washington, Missouri, a town 50 miles west of St. Louis. Most people here talking to someone in another state would just say “Oh, I’m from St. Louis.” No you’re not. My obsession with geography almost certainly plays a part in this. I want to know where a person is from so I could possibly look up the town on Wikipedia or look at it on Google Street View, which I find to be a very fun activity. But if someone gives a general location, it’s considered creepy to ask them to be exact because then they think you want to stalk them. Sigh.

I always tell them my hometown, which is where I was born and where I spent much of my life. But the thing I hate more than anything (and yes, I hate it) is when someone generalizes where they’re from. Example: I am from Washington, Missouri, a town 50 miles west of St. Louis. Most people here talking to someone in another state would just say “Oh, I’m from St. Louis.” No you’re not. My obsession with geography almost certainly plays a part in this. I want to know where a person is from so I could possibly look up the town on Wikipedia or look at it on Google Street View, which I find to be a very fun activity. But if someone gives a general location, it’s considered creepy to ask them to be exact because then they think you want to stalk them. Sigh.
My family is from Galax, Virginia and years ago someone I went to high school with became Miss America(1978). The entire town was upset with her for saying she was from nearby Roanoke. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom