• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How or When do you stim?

When I was much younger I would flap my hands around or clap my wrists together when I got excited. I rarely do anything like that now, unless I am extremely frustrated with a situation and alone. It took some work to get to that point, though.

Whenever I am excited or overly-happy I tend to bounce and run around, whenever I am anxious or stressed I gently rock back and forth and almost all the time I tap/bounce my leg.

My "primary stims" are personally mostly orally fixated, for example chewing things (Often hair, headphones, or clothes), finger sucking, along with some other forms for example rocking (my most common stim), and the occasional "flapping".

-- I personally rarely have anyone comment on my stimming, but they usually just assume its tics from my Tourettes.

Last edited:
Very rarely do people comment on my stimming, though I think they probably notice it. NTs stim too, but I stim a bit more than they do. Sometimes people call it a tic = though I don't have Tourettes - or they assume that I'm anxious, that's usually a correct assumption.

All the time. Mostly biting my nails, rocking back and forth, making random noises, saying things in a silly tone of voice out loud, or getting up and pacing/walking around the house for no reason. Must add I love chewing on metal because it has that nice metallic taste to it...probably bad for teeth but oh well lol. Some of these things are done involuntarily or when I am excited or nervous

All the time. Mostly biting my nails, rocking back and forth, making random noises, saying things in a silly tone of voice out loud, or getting up and pacing/walking around the house for no reason. Must add I love chewing on metal because it has that nice metallic taste to it...probably bad for teeth but oh well lol. Some of these things are done involuntarily or when I am excited or nervous

Wow! Minus the chewing on metals, you sound exactly like me.

The most is when I'm somewhere with lots of people or somewhere with small amount of people but in a large, open space, or if there are people on all sides of me, which means there are people behind me whichever I turn, and I don't like having people behind me. Also when I'm deep in thought but I have no idea I'm doing it and only became aware of that because people have asked me what I'm doing and when I was confused they told me.

I also chew on metals because they're shiny and because of the metallic taste and hard, smooth texture! I chew on wood because of the fresh wood taste. I LOVE cardboard taste! I have a Chew Stixx in my pocket to chew on as well! I chew just about almost everything, so I got the Chew Stixx off the internet somewhere, so I can chew on that instead of cracking my pen tops. Yes, my teeth are that strong!

New Threads

Top Bottom