• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how much does your external environment affect your mood?

allie

one thing i feel distinguishes me from other people is that my external environment does not affect my mood in the same way as other people.

for example, if something bad happens, i might still be in a good mood for seemingly no reason.

and if something good happens, i might feel sad, uninspired or bad about myself.

so it seems there's very little correlation. most of my happiness and sadness comes from within my brain and it's completely unpredictable.

what's your experience? is this an ASD thing?

one thing i feel distinguishes me from other people is that my external environment does not affect my mood in the same way as other people.

for example, if something bad happens, i might still be in a good mood for seemingly no reason.

and if something good happens, i might feel sad, uninspired or bad about myself.

so it seems there's very little correlation. most of my happiness and sadness comes from within my brain and it's completely unpredictable.

what's your experience? is this an ASD thing?
Wow same here. I thought I was the only one to experience something like that. I don't know if it is an ASD thing or not

I like to feel that I'm in control of my environment, and if I'm not comfortable it puts me under a lot of stress. Things like noise, temperature and other stimuli can affect my functioning. If it's noisy, I can't concentrate, and some sounds hurt my ears. I can get overwhelmed if there is too much going on around me. I have a lot of anxiety when I'm in an environment which I have not control over and want to leave.

I'm a Culinary Arts teacher, so my classroom and kitchen are highly structured. They have to be because the kitchen is subject to random health inspections, so the health code has to be rigorously enforced. The students have to properly set up and break down their workstations. All food safety and sanitation practices must also be followed because violations will result in a warning and CRITICAL violations could result in our closure.

With this being said, I am not getting along with the office manager of my school. She has twice raised her voice to me and each time she's gone on a rant, she has physically blocked me from leaving because she has insisted that I HAD to listen to her. As a result of this, I have learned to avoid her in the morning ... because each time she has barked at me, she's left me in a very bad state. I hate having to struggle through the entire day just so I can then run home to my little oasis of peace and tranquility for rest and recovery.

So I would say yes, my external environment is really important to me.

Yes. My external environment sets my mood. If I don't like my surroundings, it shows.

New Threads

Top Bottom