• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how does it feel to have asperger ?

I imagine it varies a lot. For me I feel like I'm trapped within myself, find normal situations like shops to be overwhelming, and extremely anxious in unexpected and unfamiliar situations. I find myself becoming obsessed in things for no particular reason. This description on my report I find to be good at accurately summarising it:

cWp4CW9.jpg

I like how unsurewhatattoname described it as 'trapped within myself'. Its rare that I just simply live in a situation. My body functions and I act like I do usually, but my mind feels detached from it, analyzing the situation, almost from an alien perspective.

I imagine it varies a lot. For me I feel like I'm trapped within myself, find normal situations like shops to be overwhelming, and extremely anxious in unexpected and unfamiliar situations. I find myself becoming obsessed in things for no particular reason. This description on my report I find to be good at accurately summarising it:

cWp4CW9.jpg
I have not been diagnosed at least not as far as I know, but everything you have listed i do experience it.

And also that shopping part I'm frightened when people look at me for no reason and when I'm about to pay i almost die at least that's the feeling i get.

For me shops are too loud and too bright and I wish to be in and out of them as fast as possible. I'm very sensitive to sound and have been my life. That's what my problem is with them. But of course living in a small town the people that work there are my previous classmates so I feel uncomfortable about that - a lot of people know me, I prefer to be unknown.

I suspect myself of having asperger
can someone explain to me how asperger feels ? thanks in advance.

For me, the teen years and young adulthood were the worst because the social problems. As I got older, I learned more and gained confidence. Being able to understand concepts and do things that most people cannot, is a very definite plus. Now, as a older person, I really like being a Aspie. If you are an Aspie, there is nothing you can do about it, so you may as well take advantage of it. We are all different, but having a positive attitude and working with what you have is a good idea for anyone.

For me it is like living behind a barrier of normality, behind which everyone else exists and I come so close to passing, but never can or do. The barrier isn't always present and so I can seemingly appear to be like everyone else but eventually I'm more persistent than everyone else or less inclined to do something everyone else is so sure of or I'm struggling to make friends or worrying/over analyzing too many things they've never thought about etc and then the barrier becomes all to clear once more. Aspergers can be a gift some of the time and a burden the rest of the time, some limits can be exceeded (with practice) others are like laws of physics and cannot be broken.

I don't know how to explain this so I'll just blurt it out; I compare it to being really high on weed and very uncertain socially. Especially when everyone else is not high. Getting lost in thoughts, different perspective, weirded out by strangers and human interaction, zone out.
Although I must confess I don't know what it feels like to be normal or NT, to make a comparison.
Or like this below,
image.jpg

For me, the teen years and young adulthood were the worst because the social problems. As I got older, I learned more and gained confidence. Being able to understand concepts and do things that most people cannot, is a very definite plus. Now, as a older person, I really like being a Aspie. If you are an Aspie, there is nothing you can do about it, so you may as well take advantage of it. We are all different, but having a positive attitude and working with what you have is a good idea for anyone.
interesting , what are the positive traits of Asperger ? Where can I take advantage of it ? I think it hinders me more than it does good.

I don't know how to explain this so I'll just blurt it out; I compare it to being really high on weed and very uncertain socially. Especially when everyone else is not high. Getting lost in thoughts, different perspective, weirded out by strangers and human interaction, zone out.
Although I must confess I don't know what it feels like to be normal or NT, to make a comparison.
Or like this below, View attachment 22593
I'm really curious about the picture could you please explain it?

For me shops are too loud and too bright and I wish to be in and out of them as fast as possible. I'm very sensitive to sound and have been my life. That's what my problem is with them. But of course living in a small town the people that work there are my previous classmates so I feel uncomfortable about that - a lot of people know me, I prefer to be unknown.

I always wonder if not having sensitivity to sound, light, touch (and perhaps overfamiliarity from others) means I'm not an aspie, as it's not these symptoms that I have which correspond to the list of aspie symptoms and I wonder if they're a prerequisite.

One positive is that I noticed the smoke before our smoke detector when our candle went wrong, meaning that we could put it out while it was small and nothing got damaged. My mum, not Asperger's, was in the room as well but didn't notice what was happening. I've also noticed the gas being left on. I can tell if something isn't right. I consider that an advantage. I'm also a sponge for information, especially numbers. My parents have used me as a number storage system as I can remember huge strings. I know both their number plates which is useful for staying in hotels. That's all I can think of. The positives with it vary.

I always wonder if not having sensitivity to sound, light, touch (and perhaps overfamiliarity from others) means I'm not an aspie, as it's not these symptoms that I have which correspond to the list of aspie symptoms and I wonder if they're a prerequisite.
I don't think they're needed. I think most autistic people have them though.

New Threads

Top Bottom