• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How does a special interest form?

liinree

When I got diagnosed last year, I thought I didn't have any special interest, which at the time was true, but looking back on my earlier life I've definitely had a few. The last few years I haven't had any though, and I've felt meaningless and bored. So I was wondering how a special interest is formed, so I possibly could be able to regain it.

Mine generally start as a puzzle that needs to be understood and solved.

Like making bourbon, so much science, chemistry, micro-biology and mechanical dicsiplines involved. And I like bourbon.

I was wondering how a special interest is formed, so I possibly could be able to regain it.
Renowned Aspie expert Tony Attwood says in his book The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome (thanks to @Ragnahawk for getting me to buy it) that there is little research about where Aspie special interests originate, but he describes "functions" that might offer clues for you as you search for your next one:

The special interest has several functions:
  1. To overcome anxiety.
  2. To provide pleasure.
  3. To provide relaxation.
  4. To ensure greater predictability and certainty in life.
  5. To help understand the physical world.
  6. To create an alternative world.
  7. To create a sense of identity.
  8. To facilitate conversation and indicate intellectual ability.
Look for clues based on this list. If some random topic catches your attention and you become aware that it is starting to help you fill one of these functions (needs), then you might have stumbled across the beginning of your next special interest.

Renowned Aspie expert Tony Attwood says in his book The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome (thanks to @Ragnahawk for getting me to buy it) that there is little research about where Aspie special interests originate, but he describes "functions" that might offer clues for you as you search for your next one:

The special interest has several functions:
  1. To overcome anxiety.
  2. To provide pleasure.
  3. To provide relaxation.
  4. To ensure greater predictability and certainty in life.
  5. To help understand the physical world.
  6. To create an alternative world.
  7. To create a sense of identity.
  8. To facilitate conversation and indicate intellectual ability.
Look for clues based on this list. If some random topic catches your attention and you become aware that it is starting to help you fill one of these functions (needs), then you might have stumbled across the beginning of your next special interest.
I’m good with 1 through 7 and the first part of 8.

04F9EC6F-C3FB-4E71-A5C6-EA50D7361A01.jpeg
I think you should remember what you used to do when you were alone, when you were a kid. That will give you a good clue.

Like I always say, life would be so much easier if we could consciously choose our special interests. Believe me, I've tried everything to try to force myself to have certain special interests. The thing is, you can't choose what your brain latches onto, you're just along for the ride.

But don't despair, because beloved former special interests have a tendency of coming back, sometimes when you least expect them.

Also, if your brain is anything like mine, sometimes you'll stumble across an interesting subject and your mind will file it away into the "maybe a special interest" category, and then it might spring up as a fully-fledged special interest at some point in the future. Not unlike a seed that sprouts only when the conditions are just right.

Like I always say, life would be so much easier if we could consciously choose our special interests. Believe me, I've tried everything to try to force myself to have certain special interests. The thing is, you can't choose what your brain latches onto, you're just along for the ride.

But don't despair, because beloved former special interests have a tendency of coming back, sometimes when you least expect them.

I definitely agree with this statement here. Can't force a special interest unfortunately lol.
And I've also had several special interests return multiple times so there is that too!
Often I will read stuff when I am in between interests. This usually leads me to my next interest because I have little interest on each topic until I find it and then latch on.

Special interests have always been my strongest autistic trait. I have no idea how or why something became a special interest or why something wouldn't, it's as if my special interests chose me as opposed to me choosing them. I think I literally did wake up one day and had an obsession with meerkats and veterinary medicine ever since.

You may be on to something with your connection between life feeling meaningless and boring and not having a special interest. Whenever I am between projects and just 'going through the motions' I get quickly despondent.

Special interests are borne for me out of curiosity. For example, my 8 year old asked me why his deep cut is taking so long to heal. In order to answer him, I read about fibroblasts and from there developed a special interest in cellular biology. After my 2nd child I got severely depressed and from there developed a special interest in neuroscience.

I agree with @Beguiling Orbit on the benefits and reasons. My initial spark is usually curiosity and the interest grows from there.

However, surviving in the world is hard enough, you need a firm educational foundation to give yourself every possible chance. If you are smart enough to analyse the subject of aspergers and special interests then you will be smart enough to steer yourself toward one that will be of benefit to you studies. At school I spent a long time researching greek mythology for my classics exam. Can you steer yourself toward biology, is there anything that wakes you up in maths or english? Grammar is quite fascinating.

Mine starts suddenly, with just a little trigger that catches my interest. For example it used to be paganism. I saw the movie The Craft one night, woke up thinking about it and then obsessively researched, collected etc for years. Now it's knitting. I read some book that had a scene with a girl knitting and it stuck out to me. Then I taught myself to knit, started researching the history of knitting etc and have been for the past couple of years...that's about how it goes.:)

It happens by chance I find. One day something catches your attention, creates a kind of happy, bubbly feeling when you engage in it. For me, I could watch Tornado and other extreme weather videos on Youtube for hours. I also read a lot, gets me out of my head for a while which is a relief.

New Threads

Top Bottom