• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you walk?

Do you have a non-typical gait (Walk)?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I may, how do you walk, or rather do you have a non-typical way of walking or gait? -- I personally walk on my inner feet, otherwise known as Pronation. -- I also hold my hands at my sides instead of moving them as I walk.

Last edited:
I chose no, but I do roll my feet when walking. This was due to a deliberate decision not to walk pigeon toed though. It causes me to wear out the inside soles of my shoes faster. I do remember having to take a remedial walking class in 1st grade because I didn't swing my arms when walking, so maybe there is something there too. These days I often walk with my head down looking at the floor.

Last edited:
Someone once told me that I have a strange walk, that I walk different. I don't know what she meant, but she could have just meant that I don't have a very feminine walk, or that I'm a bit clumsy, not sure.

I walk like Christopher Walken in Fatboy Slims “Weapon of Choice” music video.

Well, I move like that when no one’s watching and I’m in a good mood.

Good question. I feel like I am constrained when I walk. I also notice that I kind of squeeze my hands (make fists) when I walk for some unclear reason, sometimes my fingers even turn pale.

I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet. All my shoes are more worn down on the outsides of the soles.

With great difficulty due to back problems.

But I am not going in a Wheelchair unless I absolutely have to, otherwise I'd have to move House into a ground floor Flat.

It depends on my emotional state. If I'm doing more or less okay, I walk with what I think is a normal gait, but hunched over a bit and usually looking at the ground. Sometimes I will make a conscious effort to straighten and walk with a bit more confidence.

If I'm feeling overwhelmed, I will focus entirely on trying to walk normally and fail utterly, with jerky sort of movements.

I do walk non standard, but I think it is physiological not Aspie related. Its like my top half (lithe) doesn't match my bottom half (gorilla). So I have an Ape or Orc-like gait. :D

When much younger ran, bounced, skipped, roller skated, skateboarded, biked, (also quite a keen gymnast) hardly ever the correct way up.

Senior school - as slow and cool as possible. Dawdled.

(Late teens) Military - tall and proud.

Marriage and motherhood - looking down at the floor (where the children were)

Wear shoes down quickly, rolling gait, someone once mentioned that I walk through my knees rather than my hips.

I'm not sure but I tend to go through shoes really, really quickly (likely because I will only wear those one pair of shoes until they're falling apart) and the outsides of the shoes wear down fast.

Someone once told me that I have a strange walk, that I walk different. I don't know what she meant, but she could have just meant that I don't have a very feminine walk, or that I'm a bit clumsy, not sure.
I was told this several times by various people.
In some cases someone actually clarified that it is strange because I don't have a very feminine walk.
I am a bit clumsy too.
I'm not sure but I tend to go through shoes really, really quickly (likely because I will only wear those one pair of shoes until they're falling apart) and the outsides of the shoes wear down fast.
I tend to do the same and I hate it every time another pair of shoes is falling apart.
Like you I tend to only wear those one pair of shoes until they're falling apart. During this time I get used to wearing these shoes; I know what it feels like walking in them etc.
I don't want to lose this comfort and feeling of familiarity, so I'm sad every time I need to throw away another pair of shoes at last.

I now buy 4 or 5 pairs of shoes all the same if they're good ones for me. That lessens the difficulties when they wear out. I wear down the outside back of the heel edges so must walk unevenly tho I said no to untypical gait. I also both turn my heel quite often, and fall over occasionally :oops: went flying full length on the ground couple of weeks ago without seeing it coming... oops.
More often I stumble and recover. :rolleyes:

Ah, how interesting! I've been told by a bunch of people that I walk funny, I believe I have a weird walk as well and sometimes I actually feel insecure about it, I feel like I'm standing out.
I'm pretty tall for a girl and over the years I spent a lot of time hunched over, especially throughout depression & anxiety time when I would just want to disappear, so I struggle to keep my back straight and have to remind myself all the time. As for the walk itself, it's like the legs go first and I go second, it's a bouncy, floaty walk. Usually when I have to take a walk through the city, with people around, and I haven't done it in a while, I will literally feel like I don't know how to walk and it will be hard to find my center of gravity. It's like I could start flying anytime now.

It does help to exercise. The more physically active I'll be, the more grounded I'll feel. But still, I feel a bit goofy but lately I've been trying to embrace all my eccentricities and accept that if I stand out, it's alright, it's just who I am.

One thing I forgot to mention, I walk as quickly as possible, and I find it physically painful to walk at an average pace. Not sure if that's related though.

Whenever I walk past a reflective window or mirror I almost compulsively have to watch how I walk. I think I have a normal walk for the most part because I do my best to just relax into it. When I walk on tile I tend to match my steps with the tile.

New Threads

Top Bottom