• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you handle other peoples driving?

Peace

V.I.P Member
I have always taken issue with other peoples driving when it is rude or illogical. If some rude person is riding on my butt, I will slow way down and cause them to either back off, or try to pass, which is when I speed up. If some rude person is driving slow in the left lane (in America this is illegal), I will make it a point to pass them, then slow way down and cause them to get into the other lane, then I will speed away. These two things happen at least every day. I try hard to be considerate, but these things push me beyond my limit.
Am I unusual in this respect, even for an Aspie?

The inability to deal with other peoples illogical decision making on the road is among the reasons why I don't have a license and probably will never have. Anticipating stupid just doesn't compute for me personally.

I remember when I had lessons that my instructor said that in general I was a safe driver (albeit it a clumsy one, darn motorskills) and I made logical and rational decisions. However, when people ended up driving like idiots (on freeways and such) I just couldn't keep my head straight. It got me irate to the point where I just wanted to push people off the road for not adhering to rules and driving etiquette... so much like you, it pushed me to the limit, but I guess I'll get pushed a bit to far too fast in that regard. And considering the financial and health hazard involved I guess it's better to stay off the road.

Road rage solves nothing. Bad drivers are always on the road and there is no sense in making them angry, as well as stupid and inept. I can't wait for cars that drive themselves to become the norm. Maybe then, things will move more smoothly. As an Aspie, yes, I think everyone else's driving is atrocious. I like rules and believe everyone should follow them.

The inability to deal with other peoples illogical decision making on the road is among the reasons why I don't have a license and probably will never have. Anticipating stupid just doesn't compute for me personally.

I remember when I had lessons that my instructor said that in general I was a safe driver (albeit it a clumsy one, darn motorskills) and I made logical and rational decisions. However, when people ended up driving like idiots (on freeways and such) I just couldn't keep my head straight. It got me irate to the point where I just wanted to push people off the road for not adhering to rules and driving etiquette... so much like you, it pushed me to the limit, but I guess I'll get pushed a bit to far too fast in that regard. And considering the financial and health hazard involved I guess it's better to stay off the road.
I guess that would be the preferred way of finding peace, unfortunately I do service work in peoples homes and business's in a remote area, and spend a good part of my time driving . It is not unusual for me to drive over 100 miles in a day.

I guess that would be the preferred way of finding peace, unfortunately I do service work in peoples homes and business's in a remote area, and spend a good part of my time driving . It is not unusual for me to drive over 100 miles in a day.

Well, part of me not having a license is what I posted... the other is that the entire thing of handling a car responsible just isn't for me. Traffic in general tends to be a sensory overload... I don't do bicycles either for that reason.

Since I'm ridding a motorcycle, I came to the conclusion that a LOT of people have no driving notions. They don't know how to drive. Either they never learned properly or they just forgot how because of life in general. The ones that drive dangerously on purpose are pretty rare in my opinion. They are generally under influence of some substance or they are convinced the road is a race track.

The ones that don't know how to drive properly DO NOT deserve to die or get injured or even injure someone else. So don't try to scare them or take actions to punish them, because you are just endangering everybody. Those drivers WONT understand what you are doing or why you are doing it. You behavior is the opposite of what you should do to prevent incidents. Keep your attention on the road, keep your distance from cars with erratic behavior, don't break the road rules at any time in order to pass a vehicle that you dislike, be patient. Keep your emotions at bay. Because when you are getting furious, it only means you are not driving properly anymore. You wont be happier if your attention is not 100% on the road and you hit a cyclist because of it.

The ones that drive dangerously on purpose should be reported to the local authorities. Simple as that.

On an additional note, more and more drivers and riders are using on-board/helmet cameras. If you break the road rules and cause an incident, more than likely it will be on "tape". I watched tons of crash videos on youtube, and very often, if not most of the time, then accidents are caused, not by the person who drives too slow, but by the person who drives too fast or that is impatient.

Do yourself a favor, get rid of all aggressiveness when you are driving. Focus on the road only.

I have no patience for the people that tail right behind me. I figure if they want the speeding ticket they can go right ahead, so I usually change lanes or even pull over to let them pass. One speeding ticket is all you need and now that my car is a bright red-orange, well, that is why I drive the speed limit!

I drove a tractor-trailer for a number of years, so I'm quite familiar with rude drivers. Additionally, being a motorcyclist, I've experienced every form of idiocy one can encounter. Drivers will look directly at me and still pull out. It's not like my Harley is invisible. Being fire engine red with Screaming Eagle pipes, it makes its presence known. Dealing with rude or stupid drivers is always a challenge. In most cases, I'll give them the road. Causing an incident and putting other lives in danger or creating a difficult situation for other motorists is not worth it.
In my experience on two wheels, I've found drivers to be pretty good, and to consitently notice me. But maybe they're just like that in my region. The one thing that has bugged me is tailgaters. Not now, since in my state it's legal to weave through traffic so I can just move away from them. But when I was beginning, tailgaters were a problem for me. Ironic, that a beginner, such as I was, is the one that has to deal with a dangerous situation such as that.

When on the freeway, I drive five MPH below the speed limit. That way, I can relax, and not have to worry about passing anyone.

In the city, though, it can be...difficult. I try to be as courteous as possible to everyone, but sometimes aggressive driving becomes a necessary survival skill.

And of course, it drives me nuts when people don't seem to respect the safety of motorcyclists. I try to be keenly aware of them wherever I am at, and make sure that, if I do have to pass them, I give them plenty of room, and don't go to quickly so as not to create too much of a draft. Conversely, though, it disheartens me to see motorcyclists driving recklessly, just asking for a fatal accident. What is wrong with them?!

I drove a tractor-trailer for a number of years, so I'm quite familiar with rude drivers. Additionally, being a motorcyclist, I've experienced every form of idiocy one can encounter. Drivers will look directly at me and still pull out. It's not like my Harley is invisible. Being fire engine red with Screaming Eagle pipes, it makes its presence known. Dealing with rude or stupid drivers is always a challenge. In most cases, I'll give them the road. Causing an incident and putting other lives in danger or creating a difficult situation for other motorists is not worth it.
I like your position on this, and it is one I should likely take up.

I am always afraid to ride with other people, especially when in a van with 6 or more people. I say a prayer and will continue to pray when I get nervous. Then I pop in my noise cancelling headphones and hope for the best.

I am always afraid to ride with other people, especially when in a van with 6 or more people. I say a prayer and will continue to pray when I get nervous. Then I pop in my noise cancelling headphones and hope for the best.
My mother was the only person with whom I could ride as a passenger without discomfort. I don't recall that she ever had a moving violation or collision. However, she was terrible as a driving instructor (always scared I was about to get us killed) so I practiced driving with my father and brother. When I have been forced to ride, rather than drive with friends, I was always annoyed if they were wusses of terrified, and also if they were reckless or poor drivers. There is no one with whom I would rather ride than drive. I am an assertive, but safe driver. I can't stand people who hesitate and leave other drivers wondering what they are about to do, so I usually make the decision before them, execute the move safely, and let them complain if they think I am aggressive. I am never aggressive--but I am assertive. My father was a truck driver and he taught me to assess the situation, make a decision as to whether I was going to make the first move, and then MAKING that move with confidence. My best friend is an overly polite driver and always waves anyone ahead even if it is definitely not their turn. I am not comfortable with timid drivers and I am equally not happy to ride with someone with mindless aggression. I am also annoyed by drivers who are afraid of trucks and busses. Quite often, big vehicles are driven by professional drivers and are usually quite safe.

Well, part of me not having a license is what I posted... the other is that the entire thing of handling a car responsible just isn't for me. Traffic in general tends to be a sensory overload... I don't do bicycles either for that reason.
This is me too.. I would love to learn to drive but I don't think I can handle it.

I have a bike I've ridden at the beach but getting it to the beach is a problem.. I don't like riding in the street because traffic.. And it's so awkward bringing it on the train.. Plus the last time I rode it, I confused the bell on the handle bars for the hand brake and ran into a stop sign (yes, while ringing the bell).. So yeah.. Bikes and cars are a no go for me.

Plain and simple, we should all have mad max style vehicles. I have a big black dodge truck that just looks scary, heavy steel bumpers, aircraft landing lights(low beams, high beams and F-you beams), train horn(nothing says hello I'm here like a little blast of a train horn). I think everyone would be ALOT nicer to everyone else. I grew up learning how to drive in Southern California. You have to drive aggressively there or you won't get anywhere. I now live in Northern Nevada. Everything is much slower here. when ever we go to SoCal I go back into SoCal driving mode...... it takes about a week to get back to Northern Nevada driving mode when we return....

I have always taken issue with other peoples driving when it is rude or illogical. If some rude person is riding on my butt, I will slow way down and cause them to either back off, or try to pass, which is when I speed up. If some rude person is driving slow in the left lane (in America this is illegal), I will make it a point to pass them, then slow way down and cause them to get into the other lane, then I will speed away. These two things happen at least every day. I try hard to be considerate, but these things push me beyond my limit.
Am I unusual in this respect, even for an Aspie?
I can understand and relate at times. It wasn't until I got my commercial driver's license that I actually chilled out on the road. Once I realized that I became responsible for everyone's safety, to me it wasn't worth letting idiots get under my skin. As I get older, I'm slowly learning to chose my battles on my field and on my terms.

Believe me, they hand out regular licenses like candy. There are some people that should never have been allowed to even take the test, much less pass it. Ironically, it's these idiots that make me a safer, more aware driver.

I do hate tailgaters and will slow down to encourage them to pass but I won't do anything more.

What about handling people driving you around as a passenger? Let's their their driving behaviour is illogical and they subject you to it.

Believe me, they hand out regular licenses like candy. There are some people that should never have been allowed to even take the test, much less pass it. Ironically, it's these idiots that make me a safer, more aware driver.

You mean private classes of road vehicle licenses, don't you, and in freedom concious USA. Given that, would anyone say that private motorists, being less acountable for their actions, are more likely to drive in a way that doesn't feel logical.

What about handling people driving you around as a passenger? Let's their their driving behaviour is illogical and they subject you to it.

You mean private classes of road vehicle licenses, don't you, and in freedom concious USA. Given that, would anyone say that private motorists, being less acountable for their actions, are more likely to drive in a way that doesn't feel logical.
I mean non-commercial driver's licenses.

Yes, private classes of road vehicle licence are given out more freely (especially in the USA) than any other class of powered vehicle licence, as well as all classes of aviation licence.

I don't think you are unusual, my parents get annoyed at other drivers and are not on the spectrum. Road rage is a thing. As for me I don't drive due to anxiety.

Well, I don't try to police everyone's driving, but if someone is riding my tail, I definitely slow down. I don't particularly want to get rear-ended, and while there's a certain amount of vindictiveness in my attitude, it is a legitimate safety concern. If you can't maintain a safe following distance for the speed of the road, then I will slow down until your following distance is safe.

New Threads

Top Bottom