• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with overwhelming noises?

This topic came up at a serendipitous time for me. Not even an hour ago, my baby was crying and crying and I was starving and needed to cook food. I felt like I was going to explode! I'd pick her up and she's stop. I'd hold her for a few minutes and then set her down and she'd start crying again. Loud sounds and chaos are overwhelming, but when I'm hungry, they're intolerable!

I'd be lost without my earplugs! I carry a set around with me at all times, and if I am trapped in a waiting room where the television is on too loud, I can protect my sanity within seconds. I also bring my own music if the wait will be long, or I am being forced to listen to others on their cell phones. I strongly suspect that I have Misophonia, because my reaction to certain sounds is extreme. Most of the time it is rage inducing, or I melt down or shut down. For example when my upstairs neighbors walk around, they create intensely annoying creaking sounds that make me want to scream at them. Of course they can't help it, but that doesn't stop it from being a triggering sound. Especially when they cause it to happen repeatedly. I recently bought a pair of ear defenders to wear over my foam earplugs when they are particularly lively up there.

I avoid them as much as possible. Loud noises like machinery don't bother me. It's loud rock with heavy bass (any pop music using amps pushing the signal into woofers, including rap) that feels like someone is hitting me with a bat. As you might guess, I don't go to many parties or bars, which does nothing for my social life.

In an office environment, when I did not have my own office with a door I could close I used a radio (we weren't allowed headphones or ear buds) played quietly to mask some of the noise. The situation is not helped by having tinnitus in both ears as well, with the constant whining at different pitches and intensities! I'd give a great deal for an unobtrusive white noise generator that could be tuned to nullify the tinnitus; you have to get not just the pitch, but the frequency right -- by which I mean the sound's sine wave. It's difficult to explain. The noise of a typical party is enough to nullify the tinnitus, but it's a fine line between washing out the tinnitus and the sound level starting to press on me to the point I need to withdraw for awhile.

Being overly sensitive is one of Aspie's problems. I'm especially sensitive to sound, more specifically, the sound made by loudly-talking people. A few shouts or screams are fine since they last very shortly. But when in a club, cafeteria, etc., people often talk very loudly for a long period. And it sometimes drives me crazy. I wouldn't crawl on the ground or something like that. Usually my eyes open wide, and it's like, my brain cells keep exploding one by one. Does anyone have similar problem? How do you deal with it?
I don't have a serious problem with these people and I suppose drowning at birth is not an option but I do have one suggestion. I haven't tried this but I think it could work if you record a sound that you find pleasurable and play it through head-phones. Even "white noise" might work. I hope you find a solution as I know this sort of thing can totally take over. Love and peace to you and the perps.

With me, being blind also on spectrum I try where possible to avoid areas even with moderate let alone loud noise. As part of my sensory toolkit as well as seperately in my bag are ear plugs should I ever need them. For me as well, loud noise can trigger a fast meltdown or shutdown which has happened a lot before and no doubt will again. I try to time my journeys when there is not to be a lot of noise for that reason. I have been known to put the ear plugs in if I have to go into noisy areas

This clip might be useful to help explain what sensory overload is like, if you are in a situation that it would be reasonable to expect others to make accommodations for your needs - such as at work, at school, or at a family gathering. You would need to be comfortable telling someone (eg your boss, or a family member) that you have sensory sensitivities, and discuss with them what would make it easier for you.

For situations such as at a cafe or on public transport - you could try to avoid noisier places or times, or use earplugs.

I find my sensory sensitivities are much worse if I am very anxious - so if I use strategies to calm my anxiety that can reduce my sensory sensitivities.

It feels like noises are all competing for space in my brain but there isn't room for them and it becomes an unbearable cacophony. NTs are able to push unwanted sounds to the side to make room for the ones they want to listen to, but I can't do that, particularly loud noise. I can cope with quieter background noise such as music, if the voice of the person I'm listening to is louder, I'll be able to hear what they are saying, but if the music is too loud or other people are talking loudly, I can't.

I always carry a pair on earplugs around with me, and headphones and mp3 player :)

This clip might be useful to help explain what sensory overload is like, if you are in a situation that it would be reasonable to expect others to make accommodations for your needs - such as at work, at school, or at a family gathering. You would need to be comfortable telling someone (eg your boss, or a family member) that you have sensory sensitivities, and discuss with them what would make it easier for you.

For situations such as at a cafe or on public transport - you could try to avoid noisier places or times, or use earplugs.

I find my sensory sensitivities are much worse if I am very anxious - so if I use strategies to calm my anxiety that can reduce my sensory sensitivities.

That vid is great!
Sensitivity to sound and light has completely ruined any chance of a normal life for me, having no filter. having every sound and every visual input hitting all at once is absolute torture. i would honestly feel a sense of relief if someone said "i will turn down and organize the sounds and sights if i can chop off your arm without anesthetic with a rusty saw" i would cry with relief and thank them so much as they sawed through my arm.

No disrespect to all you guys, but some of you make me laugh lol with your struggle with sound and your coping strategies or lack there of. :D

I'm sorry but I don't find it funny at all. It's very real. I experience problems with sound and cannot cope. It's no laughing matter at all!

Sorry :(, this kinda got me laughing though in that I bet you startled him for initially startling you. Or at least I doubt he expected it.

This happened to me last weekend while I was having dinner with my mom. All of the sudden, a waiter yelled out a happy birthday song and I was startled into fight or flight mode. I'm not one to run anymore so for me it was fight. After the song was over, I turned to the waiter and scolded him for screaming right in my ear.

I get to meltdown mode rather more quickly nowadays than I used to, unfortunately. I only wish I could laugh about it but melting down takes so much energy that I am literally exhausted and ill afterward. And its worse when people don't understand, and are not willing to make allowances...sigh.

I get to meltdown mode rather more quickly nowadays than I used to, unfortunately. I only wish I could laugh about it but melting down takes so much energy that I am literally exhausted and ill afterward. And its worse when people don't understand, and are not willing to make allowances...sigh.
As I get older, I often wonder if my stress tolerance diminishes. I find myself going to meltdown mode more quickly. It's especially challenging because I drive a truck for a living. It's fun as all get out on the highway and country roads but in city and suburbia it can be really challenging. I honestly think if it weren't for Buspar, I'd meltdown. I'm actually a good driver so I don't know why I get anxious.

As I get older, I often wonder if my stress tolerance diminishes. I find myself going to meltdown mode more quickly. It's especially challenging because I drive a truck for a living. It's fun as all get out on the highway and country roads but in city and suburbia it can be really challenging. I honestly think if it weren't for Buspar, I'd meltdown. I'm actually a good driver so I don't know why I get anxious.
I'm glad that Buspar works for you! My husband is thinking of going on meds for anxiety issues.

Noise sensitive here, too. I carry earplugs EVERYWHERE and in every pocket. I never go anywhere without them in . I also go mute sometimes when I am on overload. This helps a lot. two days no talking and I reset.

New Threads

Top Bottom