• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you compare your sensory issues now to how they were when you were younger?

I find mine worse.

How about the rest of you? better, worse, or the same?

I am just the other way around. For me, sensory issues are easier to cope with now than they were when I was younger. I think that after 70 years, I am just used to them and they just make me a little uncomfortable.

Much worse after I quit smoking about 10 years ago. I've read where nicotine helps the brain with sensory gating. It has continued to get worse over time, so I think aging is also involved. I wear tinted lenses now and I have a very low tolerance for sound. I'm 60 btw.

I am a mother who tries to find information for my 17 year old son. He has what we call nerve attacks. They usually start in his back but can also be start on hands or feet. They can feel like tingling or itchy or full pain of needles stabbing him. Do you think this is more sensory? If so any suggestions on controlling it. Btw we have been to many doctors including nuero, Alergist etc. no one can diagnose

I think mine might be the same as before but I recognise them as sensory issues. I find wool or lace impossible to wear if they are touching my skin at all. I used to try on or be given clothing made from wool or lace. I'd know I looked nice in the clothes and got frustrated that I felt awful. Now i know that it is a sensitivity and not me being awkward and I don't worry about it.

I am a mother who tries to find information for my 17 year old son. He has what we call nerve attacks. They usually start in his back but can also be start on hands or feet. They can feel like tingling or itchy or full pain of needles stabbing him. Do you think this is more sensory? If so any suggestions on controlling it. Btw we have been to many doctors including nuero, Alergist etc. no one can diagnose
thats to do with the nerves misfiring,i have a lot of spinal nerve damage and a condition called trigeminal neuralgia [facial neuralgia,but you can get neuralgia all over as far as i know] and i get the same symptoms, you should ask the doctor to try him on gabapentin or pregabalin- both are known to be amazing for nerve pain and issues but gabapentin doesnt work for me and my last doc told me he wont prescribe me pregabalin as its more expensive on the NHS,what works for me is CBD oil;smoking it through a vape stick-its a godsend to me and removes most of my nerve pain and issues,but it depends if you would have any issues with it because CBD is a component of cannabis,its legal in the UK to buy from vape shops and it isnt pyschoactive meaning theres no high it just relaxes you and takes away nerve issues, i wrote a more indepth blog post on it:
https://autieemlyn.wordpress.com/2016/11/28/cbdever-heard-of-it-you-ought-to/

as for the original topic,i still have very severe sensory issues,the only thing thats changed is my hyperacusis has dampened so i dont suffer as much with noise but i still require ear defenders everywhere outside.
i still strip off and wear nothing when im in my flat,as clothes hurt me but i stopped going outside like that because i learnt its a bad thing.
my vision has got terrible though,i can barely read and the specs savers guy said it was probably medications that cause that,he also thinks ive got dyslexia but because i am unable to write it and was non verbal it was never spotted till now.
my visual processing still sucks and always have done,i can barely process what i see,it takes a while and i use my hands or mouth alot to understand.
with smell;i absolutely hate it when a support staff comes on shift and stinks of perfume,it makes me feel very sick and have massive overload and headaches, ive asked managers to put it on the advertisement that staff must not be wearing scents because of my sensory issues but they wont do it,i find it highly discriminatory.

Last edited:
Worse, but only because I am so much more aware of them; whereas when I did not know what was going on, I just tended to try and get through things, without thinking about them; just a vague sense of disquietness ie I am strange.

At 57 I had a late diagnosis just a few months ago.
Before the diagnosis, I had never been aware that I had sensory issues; every aspect of the world as I experienced it was, to me, 'normal'. It's only in recent years that I've experienced meltdowns. My ASD councillor explained to me, after the whole day assessment that I do indeed suffer from sensory over-stimulation. Looking at it objectively it has definitely got worse over the past few years, so much so that I am having to have an office at work with no fluorescent lights or noise.
It's been really interesting reading everyone else's responses to this question and it has made me think more about it.

Now that I understand more about the sounds and noise that make me anxious and stressed, I'm able to either remove myself physically or find a quiet place to recover.

In the past I was ruled by them, and didn't understand why I felt the way I did. Now I understand and can take action of some sort to either alleviate the anxiety it causes or plug up my ears, or endure it if I have no other choices.

By sensory issues I mean being bothered by different tastes, textures, smells, things touching you much more than the average person not on the Autism spectrum.

Mine went off the chart at puberty. When I became morbidly allergic to cigarette smoke and it remained a struggle for a number of years to finally convince my mother to smoke outside rather than inside.

Slightly better, I think. I used to hardly be able to wear any types of material without breaking out in rashes, and that's almost stopped, though I'm currently not reacting well to some foods.

New Threads

Top Bottom