• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How did your classmates figure that you're autistic?

oskarandri

How did you're classmates know in the end that you were autistic? Did you tell them? did your'e teacher tell them? Did they figure it by a video you posted or anything? like me i posted a video about me talking about the awareness. share you thoughts with this thread!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How did your'e classmates figure that you're autistic?

They didn't find out. Most thought I was weird though.

Unless it's someone who's really familiar with the symptoms that I've learned to mask, I'm mistaken for either a hermit, extremely shy or selectively mute. "Socially avoidant" would be more accurate, but you would have to dig deeper to figure it out.

I'm not that close with anyone at school and never really have been, so I've never felt the need to tell anyone about my AS diagnosis. I'm guessing they probably figured that I'm different to them though, or that I'm strange. If anybody ever did bring it up with me though, I'd be honest about it.

I didn't even know that I was an Aspie until less than a year ago, and I'm in my late 20's, so nobody in school knew about it. They probably did realize that I was a bit different though, but they may have thought I just had a quirky personality. I blended in more at my school to where I wasn't really noticed, which didn't bother me, and had my own group of friends that were cool.

My teacher told some people in my class at my request.

My teacher told some people in my class at my request.

If you'd have done that here, it would have just been another thing the kids would have bullied you for.

I went to an awful school.

If you'd have done that here, it would have just been another thing the kids would have bullied you for.

I went to an awful school.

True, the class below mine was full of idiots and bullies and it would have been disastrous if I was in that class. Thankfully my class were closely-knit, mature and didn't use my diagnosis against me. I told them as I was missing a lot of school due to various reasons and I just wanted people to know part of the reason for that and to correct the notion of some that thought I just couldn't be bothered coming in.

They certainly thought I was 'weird' but nobody knew about Asperger's/ Autism when I was at school.

I'm so old the Asperger's diagnosis did not exist when I was in school. My classmate knew I was odd, that I had some learning difficulties, but I don't think anyone made a big deal about it. I do think it was however being different that made me such a target for bullies in grade school.

I told some of my friends on MySpace, but other than that I am what I consider an absent minded professor kind of. ^_^;

Not like Cosmo from Fairly Odd Parents, but the kind that would hide their smarts until it was needed. I have been told that I am very smart (in a good way).

In college I only told the student's with disabilities offices. Only a few professors know that I am what I am. Other than that, I am either an absent minded professor or very smart. ;)

I didn't tell. Not even the teachers. The classmates never knew, as far as I'm aware. They did insist I was weird, quirky and, depending on the class, a "silent freak".

New Threads

Top Bottom