• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The reports on the shooting at Newtown kept saying the shooter had Asperger's. I didn't know what it was, so I did some research and was shocked to see that I had most of the characteristics. That prompted me to seek out a "professional" to find out if I am indeed an Aspie. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Oh wow! How was that? Finding out that way? I hate it when news sources say someone like that has aspergers... it's usually the comorbids that cause that kind of behavior rather than the autism.

I didn't find out until I ran in to a psychiatrist at a Starbucks in Seattle. The funny thing was was that he came to me. I didn't come to him. So we sat down at a table and chatted for about a half hour. After we were done, he wrote the word Asperger's on a business card and I just put it in my wallet and forgot about it for over a month. When the time came to clean out my wallet, I saw the card and decided to look it up on the internet. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening, and to think that I almost threw out the card before looking up the word. If that would've happen. I would be undiagnosed to this day and wouldn't be here on AC.
I often run across people I am sure are aspie but I never say anything... my own self awareness was such a rude awakening that I don't want to cause that on anyone else. That said, now I'm glad I know.

At work, a client asked for "Sheldon" instead of my name - we found out that they had misheard my name and somehow came up with "Sheldon". That started the BBT Sheldon comparisons and it became a very un-PC joke in the office - I laughed it off - I didn't know anything about Asperger's/ASD - I always knew I was different, but never really knew why. I never thought it could be Asperger's as my only knowledge of it was men with very strong aspie traits - to the point of disability; I never knew how much people with it differed, and that most were incredibly intelligent and fairly okay at masking it - and coming off just "quirky".

Fast forward nearly a year and my HR department and boss sit me down for a conversation about my department (I am the lead Corporate Filer for my firm that services hundreds of law and accounting firms across North America). They told me that I am to sharp, and need to find a way to make my underlings like me - that they already know I know everything there is to know in my field, but that they wouldn't go to the end of the earth for me. It made me realize in that moment (and maybe some time leading up to that conversation - which I knew was coming, because of a conflict the day before) that something was wrong in me. Something off. And I didn't know what it was. I asked them why people react the way they do to me, and they couldn't give me an answer - they just suggested a book (How to Win Friends and Influence People).

That night I felt more lost than I have before. I looked up some quotes from the book (as I wanted to know what I was in for) and everything I found was simple, and straightforward - yet it was stuff I already knew, but had no idea how to implement. I realized then, that I DON'T UNDERSTAND PEOPLE!!!! And then it hit me... maybe I should do one of these test things... it can't hurt. 3 tests later and they all suggest a VERY high likelihood of Asperger's. Did some research, and EVERYTHING fell together - school troubles and successes, people failures, digestion issues, emotional disturbances, acting out. Suddenly there was an answer for ALL of my problems from age 3.

I'm 26 - its been a week since this all transpired, and I am waiting to see my psychiatrist so he can give me a referral to the Adult Autism Diagnostic Centre where I live - so I'm about 6/7 months out from an official diagnosis.

I have known all my life that I was different from most people, I just did not know how or why. When I was 60, I saw a documentary about Asperger's Syndrome. I was amazed! It sounded like they were talking about me. After that I researched AS for 2 years. By then, I was convinced that I was a Aspie. But I needed to know for sure. I found a psychiatrist with experience with Asperger's and got my GP to give me a referral. After three appointments, I got a diagnosis. That was 9 years ago. It did not change my life much, by that time my lifestyle was well established. However, it was very satisfying to know why I am the way that I am and that there are others like me.

A lifelong obsession with Q who is played by John de Lancie that played a character on My Little Pony. There was a My Little Pony documentary where a guy was talking about having Aspergers and I was like, "what is that?" Noting things he said that were strikingly similar to me which lead me to researching what Aspergers/Autism was.

I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. It wasn't any shock at all. However, it was basically by accident during a series of major panic attacks that were so bad I couldn't control the shaking. I remember there was a male nurse that made a comment to another nurse... He said he thought I was on drugs. I wasn't, and it made me feel sick inside to think that I was perceived that way. The doctor, (thank goodness) was a very kind older man who cared about my well being. Of course I was referred and the rest is history.

I think that everyone really knew I was autistic from my birth but no one wanted to do anything about it, or deal with the extra costs and stuff that goes with it. So I was forced to "act normal" until I couldn't any longer. If I didn't I got the crap beat out of me... Its basically that simple. So I got used to receiving lots of pain, and ridicule.

When I was little I was a hand flapper, I pulled my ears, or covered my ears all the time because it hurt to hear! I had to move something, it was like this rhythm, this tick that was constant. I hated bright lights or looking people in the eye. I didn't talk much, still don't.

It was a no brainer, but my parents refused to let them label me, and refused to listen to my teachers tell them I was anti-social. Instead I was labeled as stubborn... And I was... I was so stubborned that I was determined to be the master of my life. I overcame a bunch of this stuff by the time I was in late High School. Most of it was scripting, but I was able to fit in, and control most of my body movements a lot better. It was the exhaustion from doing this all the time, that tore me apart from the inside out. Then came the anxiety, the panic, and the depression... Oh joy!

ASD in my case is the umbrella diagnosis for lots of stuff. Underdeveloped social skills, SPD, and lack of eye contact, is what mostly what triggered the ASD diagnosis. It makes me sound stupid, but my IQ is like 120-126 depending on which test. I made good grades, I just wouldn't interact with anyone and still have trouble with it today. However, if people will give me a chance and we have some common interest, I will open up.

Under that ASD umbrella is Anxiety, Panic disorder, depression, PTSD, Mild Tourettes (when I get exhausted), Sensory Processing Disorder (hypersensitive hearing, sight, smell, and bad issues with things/people touching me). Mild dyslexia and confused ambidextria... I can write with both hands; Left is slower but neater, right is faster but messier. The crazy part is this... Sometimes I have to look at my freakin hands to decide which hand to use, and then I get mad at myself if I pull a blank. I do this sometimes when I get really tired. Its very embarrassing. Its like I get stuck, like there is this disconnect between my brain and my body.

Heck I know I'm weird, I never needed all these people to remind me everyday... I know what it is to grow up being called a f----g retard and much more all the time. It sucks, BUT it taught me to treat others the way I want to be treated. I will never demean anyone like people have done to me. I might get mad and cuss them in my head, but I will never try to hurt them, or tear them down publicly. My past hurts really bad and its not easy to forget. I did basically forgot it by becoming the best I can be, and I will always try to improve. I was told I wouldnt ever amount to anything, and I refused to believe that.

BUT>>> after I was diagnosed more people understood me and made an effort to understand. For a while I was super uncomfortable with being diagnosed, and my counselor told me I needed to tell my work, because I am a corporate manager (its some legal thing).

It was because I deal with company related issues and funds on a daily basis. I was terrified... I just knew they would let me go, or demote me. I was wrong! If anything they now understand me so much more. They know why things happen with me, and help me avoid some of it. It has actually helped me in many cases as an adult. Plus I can be me just a little more, and that helps me not be so exhausted.

I dont parade the ASD thing around at all, it still kind of embarrasses me, but I will tell someone if they start dogging on me too hard. Most the time they stop, and things get better from there.

Was it worth getting diagnosed? For me yes, but I cant speak for others. I never use it as a crutch, or some calling card that gives me an identity. I am me, Asperger's (autism) is just a part of the operating system that makes me who I am.

I do this sometimes when I get really tired. Its very embarrassing. Its like I get stuck, like there is this disconnect between my brain and my body.

It's happened to me before I learned to rest up before it got that bad. I lose the ability to speak, I get very clumsy, and my vision gets distorted like a frosted window.

I dont parade the ASD thing around at all, it still kind of embarrasses me, but I will tell someone if they start dogging on me too hard. Most the time they stop, and things get better from there.

That's good, actually.

It was a television program that triggered my quest, first hearing of this thing called "Asperger's Syndrome". Then later wondering if I might have it too. It's just weird to realize I found about it all purely by accident.

It was from National Geographic....their "taboo" series. "Love affairs" with inanimate objects. One segment focused on this thing called "Aspergers Syndrome" and the man who had it. Never heard of it before.

However at the time what truly got my attention wasn't autism, or even this fellow's preference of having a relationship with a life-sized doll/mannequin. It was his hobby- plastic modelling. That caught and held my attention, because I was able to connect a creative, "solo-hobby" that required no socialization with this thing called "Aspergers Syndrome". (I've been a plastic modeller most of my life.)

After that something nagged at me to investigate the syndrome itself...which eventually brought me here. I learned that I'm not some introverted nerd or jerk. Just someone with a distinct type of neurology different than the majority of the population.

Even though I was diagnosed at 3, I had no knowledge of my being autistic until I was about 8. I came across a book my mom was writing about my autism (I don't remember if it ever got published). On the cover was the word "autism", along with a picture of Garfield and Snoopy I drew. I opened the book, and found many pictures of myself. I then remembered that I did have an interests in animals and lack of speech, and that was how I found out.

New Threads

Top Bottom