• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How bad does an EMG test on hands hurt? Including inserting a needle in muscles?

alien girl

Hey

Gotta have the test sunday morning, and I'm nervous about it. Just wanted to know if anyone on this forum has had it doen, and how bad does it hurt? A bit worse than a blood test/flu shot, kinda worse, much worse, the same?

Are you also nervous before going to the dentist or a painful treatment/checkup? I think I dont feel fear at all, I'm sure I'm perfectly all right, and then I realize my hands are shaking and sweaty, and I get awful stomach cramps. The inability to indentify my emotions is related to autism, I think.

I've had to deal with this a lot, in various situations and locations. I had a EMG for back and legs and it basically sucked. But the sensations were of short durations so you can grit your teeth and get thru it. I don't know how the hands will be in comparison but would be prepared for it to suck and hope its not so bad.

I have found the best method for me in countering pain for short duration events is doing relaxation techniques and mental distraction. This works well for me in dental work, minor injuries & repairs without anesthesia, needles, etc. I use deep breathing (roughly: inhale and hold it 2 seconds and exhale 2 seconds). That gives you one disconnected thing to concentrate on and helps staying loose. Try to keep your muscles loose and relaxed. Tightening them can make it a bit worse. Focus on something else, not what the doc is doing. One favorite is engaging in conversation with the doc about the weather, cars, food, anything, etc. Or playing mental games like with the tiles on the ceiling. Sometimes if the pain is very sharp I use counter pressure or pain to diffuse it. My usual is to squeeze one hand, sometimes very hard. This makes the brain have two places to report pain from and can have the effect of lessening the intensity of the main one. Lamaze uses this principle in childbirth exercises and manipulations.

Lastly try not to get lost in the experience, but keep your presence of mind, and respond to doc questions clearly. Another game I play is the macho man game where I try not to show any reaction to the pain.:D I hide my hand squeezing under a garment or something. You can play the macho girl game. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom