• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Homeschooling

You have basically two choices:
  1. You have age-appropriate expectations which the child might rise to meet, or
  2. You could predigest everything to accommodate [them?] such as incorporating their perseverations into your lesson plans.
#1 is ideal for broader impact on embracing responsibility along with academics, but foments a contentious relationship until your discipline becomes their self-discipline.

#2 is less contentious academically, but they won't get the resistance training necessary to develop their character effectively.

Some autistics are not up to the tasks of approach #1 and you are limited to #2. Most will probably require some negotiating between the two extremes.
The way I teach is to start at the child's developmental level, irrespective of his age, and teach just a little above that level so the child is challenged, but able to succeed with effort. This way, he has more success experiences than with the age-appropriate method, but fewer than with the predigested method. The success experiences are more valuable, too, because the child knows he's succeeded at something he really had to work hard at. It teaches him that he can succeed at tasks that may seem daunting at first and he practices skills he can use later in life to make tasks less overwhelming.
Where I'm having trouble in regard to writing is that I don't know if my son's disorganization is developmentally appropriate (i.e. Do typically developing 9-year-olds have trouble with writing a coherent paragraph?). If this is the case, he'll outgrow it without any intervention on my part. If not, I should start some kind of intervention and I'll need help knowing how to intervene. How can I break up the writing process into parts small enough for him to grasp?
I'm thinking of a child with Down Syndrome whom I worked with many years ago. He was blowing raspberries and his occupational therapist told me to put my hand on his mouth every time he did that. I said, "But all babies blow raspberries. It's actually beneficial for language development." She explained that typically developing babies outgrow blowing raspberries when they no longer need to do it, but babies with Down Syndrome keep doing it. This baby was two and raspberries were getting in the way of his learning to speak. I'm wondering if my son's disorganization has passed that point of usefulness and is now interfering with his learning to write properly.

Don't mean to pry, but is it HFA or Asperger's. I know more about the latter. While both are very similar there are a few key differences. Either way, both people with HFA and Asperger's have average to very high IQ's. It's important to make sure that the process suites him. In life process is more important than any other aspect. That's an important thing that makes life 10 times easier.
My son went through months of testing and then I got a second opinion with more testing. All diagnoses gave him the diagnosis of ASD. His therapist told me he is very high functioning. But I always have to warn teachers that he sounds a lot smarter than he is. He does have a very high IQ, but it gets in his way sometimes. Also, his being extroverted means he spends a lot of time trying to figure people out and memorizing scores of social rules that typically developing children learn unconsciously.

My son went through months of testing and then I got a second opinion with more testing. All diagnoses gave him the diagnosis of ASD. His therapist told me he is very high functioning. But I always have to warn teachers that he sounds a lot smarter than he is. He does have a very high IQ, but it gets in his way sometimes. Also, his being extroverted means he spends a lot of time trying to figure people out and memorizing scores of social rules that typically developing children learn unconsciously.
Okay, well academically I'd say it's more important to learn the process and work ethic than anything else. Being smart is great and all but it's useless for someone who hasn't been taught how to use it.

New Threads

Top Bottom