• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi.

LaurenP

My name is Lauren, I am 32 years old and just recently have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (aspergers had it come pre 2013).
I am trying really hard to understand my diagnosis so I can be a better human being. I think my introduction should maybe be the scenario in which my diagnosis came about.
In August of 2013 I started a new relationship that was uber intense. I truly believed I met the woman I am to be with forever(still do). In December of the same year I was offered a new job in a new city 5 hrs away.
For the first time in my life I moved away from home and took my love with me. Between the extremely stressful new job, new city and new relationship I found myself in what I now know is "autistic burnout". I began melting everyday with my girlfriend being the only person around me, taking all of the abuse. I hadn't acted like this since I was a child. I had random meltdowns sure, but definitely never two days in a row, much less everyday for months.
It got to a point that we had to seek out help. Insert aspie diagnosis.
In November of this past year we decided to come home due to both my mental health and my girlfriends physical health (US combat vet with several physical issues). No job was worth it.
Coming home was a great decision and for the first few months there weren't any meltdowns. We have been able to learn and put our knowledge in to action. We are making progress but there are still issues.
My girlfriend recently joined this group and recommended I do the same. Admittedly, I was momentarily upset, but I stayed calm and read a little. Now, here I am.
Sarah, my girlfriend, is working really hard to be understanding. She is eager to learn and easy to talk to. She is super forgiving and loving. This can be difficult for me after a meltdown. It seems I beat myself up for my actions and feel extremely unworthy. But in the same breath I sometimes get extremely annoyed by how she handles me. I often feel misunderstood. But I feel I have explained myself to death. So when meltdown is approaching and she doesn't handle things as I have asked, I get furious. Nothing she is doing is harmful, nor ill intentioned.
Another struggle we are having is with intimacy. We are close in the sense that we talk about everything. But I have some problems with the physical aspect of relationships. Of course as an aspie, I have had issues with people touching me my entire life. Personally, I think it's weird. But to add to that, I spent a decade as a stripper. I had to be drunk to do the job and find that the only thing I know about sexuality was learned in a strip club.
When alcohol has been involved in my life, sexuality came easy. However, I no longer drink.
So it's just uncomfortable. If I can get "out of my head" I love it. But I usually can't. My partner needs this aspect of our relationship to feel desired. I want to give that to her, but don't know how.
I have a lot more in my mind that I need help disecting, but that's the short I why I am here. So hello, and thank you for any guidance and/or support.

Hi Lauren, and Sarah, welcome to AC.

There is a wide variety of folk here who are only to happy to help you should you need it.

Don't forget to check out the extensive resource section too.

Enjoy your stay :)

Welcome to AC Lauren.

I have moved many times over the course of my career and know well the problems associated with relocation. The greatest hurdle is being away from your support network of family and friends, as you have experienced and related in your OP.

Best wishes for you, there is a lot of support here.

Hi & Welcome.
What little I have learned about relationships involves caring for the other more then yourself. You have had a rough time so far and that coupled with not understanding your own nature is bound to be a hard bunch of knots to untie. Do try to do one thing asap though. Be kind always to each other.

Another struggle we are having is with intimacy. We are close in the sense that we talk about everything. But I have some problems with the physical aspect of relationships. Of course as an aspie, I have had issues with people touching me my entire life. Personally, I think it's weird.
I'm not diagnosed, but I can totally relate to this. I have had a few episodes where my partner would be trying to cuddle and I would just sit there, rigid, and unsure how to react. It's pretty confusing for everyone involved.

After experimenting I have also come to the conclusion that I am pretty much asexual. I like both men and women romantically, but sex is at best tedious and at worst extremely uncomfortable, even traumatizing.

I am also a trans woman. Prior to transition I had a very strong libido, but didn't know what to do with it as I was very uncomfortable with my body. As I transitioned I found that sex was actually a huge turnoff for me and would essentially kill any desire I may have had. Post-op I now have even lower testosterone levels than the average woman (and no way will I start taking T replacement), so my libido is essentially nonexistent.

The confusing part is having the desire for a close relationship, but not being able to share a physical connection with my partner. This fact has been the death of my last two relationships. My partner's said they were fine with it, until they weren't and found somebody who could better meet their needs. I'm not bitter about it (in fact, I am friends with one of my "replacements") but it is very hard for me to find the right person.

Welcome aboard :)
Hope you enjoy it here
image.jpg

Hello and welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. Hope you like it here!

I wish I could give some advice, but I haven't been in your shoes exactly. I can relate to being too "in my head" to enjoy sex--not through past trauma or negativity around sexuality but just because I'm always in my head. I have found that one of two things 'works': 1) finding someone I am completely comfortable with--the slightest hint of self-consciousness, anxiety, or feeling like I'm not totally in control of my actions, and I retreat into my mind. This has only happened consistently with one person. 2) allowing being in my head to work for me and imagining whatever fantasy I like. Used to feel guilty about that, but now I don't really care.

I don't know that either of these are possible or recommended for you. I don't even know if #2 is recommended for me. I just try to draw the line between someone I really love and desire but have trouble being intimate with, and someone I really am not sexually attracted to. Sometimes that is a fuzzy line.

You may get more replies if you post elsewhere (maybe in the private forums).

New Threads

Top Bottom