• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi there, looking for some insight and help

Detheco

So I'm a 26 year old male and I think I might have aspergers but have never gotten an official diagnosis.

Anyway to the point, for my entire life I've never quite understood the "rules" to social interactions between people. This has caused me a fair bit of stress, anxiety and depression over my short life. Most recently a big blow up with my romantic partner who has been complaining about my not being "affectionate" enough and that she constantly has to repeat what she says several times before I finally understand what's going on.

I've recently started to notice this and other trends when trying to interact with other people. I'm often told that I monologue too much and rant on topics that other people are completely disinterested in, but I never knew that I was going on too long. I have obsessive tenancies, a big one related to time and being on time. Breaking from any sort of routine is extremely difficult and new "good" habits (as my family and partner would call them) are nigh impossible to cement despite the effort put through.

I think the biggest thing that hit me recently was when I went with my partner to a boardgame meetup and we played a game called "Clusterf***" which is a game of flirting. I was the only person at the 20 person table who could not seem to even grasp even the most non subtle signals and resulted in me becoming very anxious.

These recent experiences have caused me to reflect upon my life thus far and what I've found was constant difficulty. Difficulty in making and maintaining friendly, familial and romantic relationships to the point where I was almost totally ostracized by the communities that I was a part of. I don't understand ribbing and I tend to feel attacked in the moment realizing much later that there was no attack on me and it was just joking around instead.

Hours of research on scholarly articles about Aspergers it seemed to point to only one thing, it's what's been affecting me my whole life making me miserable because I did and still have great difficulty in taking part in any sort of social activity.

So here's where I am, living with a failing romantic partnership stuck without friends or a support group or any kind of help. Official diagnosis seems to be out of the question considering that I don't have any health insurance and cannot afford to get it. I really just want to get my life on track for what would seem to be the first time. So does anyone know what I can do to get started with fixing my life (if it helps I live in the Portland Oregon metro area)

There's too much to cover in a post. Continue your reading to the next step, strategies for living successfully with Aspergers/Autism. If you are capable of working, that is one of the essential building blocks of life.

Is there a local 211 service in most the metro cities? try dialing that number for information. Perhaps, they can help you locate resources for free help, even with insurance issues. You may be surprised? I think they really want to help people! ? but then, I am ever the hopeful cheerful artist type......

I have an offical diagnosis and it doesn't make the situation any different. People with asperger's are wired differently and as much as I would like to see a pill to make it go away there isnt. I think the biggest part comes from being self aware of how you think differently and truly embracing it. We are what we are, the anxiety we feel comes when we force ourselves to fit in how others perceive that we should.

If we understand why we feel the way we do then possibly we can go about things in a different way that both pleases you and your lady partner.

I am still trying to figure out this asperger's thing, but even if I didn't have an offical diagnosis I wouldn't need it because once you read up on it, it becomes very clear.

I have an offical diagnosis and it doesn't make the situation any different. People with asperger's are wired differently and as much as I would like to see a pill to make it go away there isnt. I think the biggest part comes from being self aware of how you think differently and truly embracing it. We are what we are, the anxiety we feel comes when we force ourselves to fit in how others perceive that we should.

If we understand why we feel the way we do then possibly we can go about things in a different way that both pleases you and your lady partner.

I am still trying to figure out this asperger's thing, but even if I didn't have an offical diagnosis I wouldn't need it because once you read up on it, it becomes very clear.

What he said :)
Its the same for my, the diagnose dosent change mutch.

I have an offical diagnosis and it doesn't make the situation any different.

An official diagnosis won't change the Asperger's, but it will make a difference for accessing many available resources. If assistance is needed, an official diagnosis is the first logical step in obtaining that assistance.

Hopefully, you've signed up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. Oregon expanded their Medicaid coverage, so if you're low income, there's a good chance you qualify for coverage, which should cover most or all of the cost if an assessment.

You have to read my entire post to understand the context of the opening sentence.

If certain treatment programs require a diagnosis than of course you need a diagnosis, if you can get access to health insurance because of asperger's than you need the diagnosis.

If you research asperger's and finally realize that your entire life is now a lot clearer. All these years of anxiety and strange feelings that everyone around you don't feel suddenly makes sense. Although the piece of paper with diagnosis will grant access to the adult services it is nothing compared to feeling you get when you realize thru your research that you are not an outcast, strange or otherwise crazy you are just wired different.

You have to read my entire post to understand the context of the opening sentence.

Sorry. I read his other thread first, so I knew when I replied that he was now seeking assistance. That isn't indicated in the opening post of this thread, so you had no reason to address that function of an official diagnosis in your post.

Welcome aboard :)
I am a little late, but wanted to say howdy.
image.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom